Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Fantasy Roundtable

Kurt Backert's 2006 Roundtable for Week 1 is now up on the home page and posted under the Fantasy Forum Drop down menu. Here's the link: http://www.profootball24x7.com/fantasy_round.php

Your feedback and questions are appreciated.

Re: The Fantasy Roundtable

- I sense a slight bit of homerism with the Ravens section, no way I'd start Clayton or Mason this week, Brian Kelly and Ronde Barber is a top notch corner combo, as with most of this year Heap is the only Raven I'd start in my FF teams.

- With the Bucs I'd be very tempted to start Alex Smith if I had him, for the last two or three years we've had a penchant for missing our assignments on TEs and particularly not closing them well if they run routes to the perimeters of the field, Smith's a good shot for some decent yardage this week I'd guess as Simms will have to throw plenty of dumpoffs.

- You're advising people to sit Losman? Who in their right mind would have him on their fantasy roster? ;)

- Certainly disagree with the assessment of the Chiefs, I don't care if the Bungholes do key on the pass game, they don't have anyone who can take Gonzalez out of that game. I'd also start Green if you were in a ten or 12 team league as it's unlikely there'll be 12 to 15 QBs who have better chances than him this week against the Bunghole secondary.

- I don't buy into the Steven Davis thing in StL as much as some folks are seeming to, he's there as cover because they have nout else behind Jackson, Jackson is a big bruiser and unless he wears I don't think you'll see much of Davis and his zimmer frame. (JMO)

- I agree with starting K2W but he's essentially a rookie and what's more a rookie coming off two serious leg injuries, he could explode but I wouldn't expect too much from him just yet.

- What's the gold zone? Is this a new term on top of the Red Zone?

- Don't start Erron Kinney, he's currently listed on the Titans injury report as being OUT, keep an eye on that if anyone has him. LINK

Good column there, but I got the impression that he's either very conservative, is a very good drafter or isn't advising for bigger leagues where you can't afford to sit everyone who appears to have a bad matchup. Be interesting to know the typical league/lineup size that he is advising for in consideration of future articles.
    Last edited by UKRavenStockers; 09-07-2006 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers

- With the Bucs I'd be very tempted to start Alex Smith if I had him, for the last two or three years we've had a penchant for missing our assignments on TEs and particularly not closing them well if they run routes to the perimeters of the field, Smith's a good shot for some decent yardage this week I'd guess as Simms will have to throw plenty of dumpoffs.
    I was stunned to find this out because I thought we struggled covering TEs, but according to SI's fantasy section this week, we didn't allow a TE to go over 50 yards all last year. They say to bench Smith because Reed does a good job on TEs.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

4. Re: The Fantasy Roundtable

- I sense a slight bit of homerism with the Ravens section, no way I'd start Clayton or Mason this week, Brian Kelly and Ronde Barber is a top notch corner combo, as with most of this year Heap is the only Raven I'd start in my FF teams.

- You're advising people to sit Losman? Who in their right mind would have him on their fantasy roster? ;)

- Certainly disagree with the assessment of the Chiefs, I don't care if the Bungholes do key on the pass game, they don't have anyone who can take Gonzalez out of that game. I'd also start Green if you were in a ten or 12 team league as it's unlikely there'll be 12 to 15 QBs who have better chances than him this week against the Bunghole secondary.

- I don't buy into the Steven Davis thing in StL as much as some folks are seeming to, he's there as cover because they have nout else behind Jackson, Jackson is a big bruiser and unless he wears I don't think you'll see much of Davis and his zimmer frame. (JMO)

- I agree with starting K2W but he's essentially a rookie and what's more a rookie coming off two serious leg injuries, he could explode but I wouldn't expect too much from him just yet.

- Don't start Erron Kinney, he's currently listed on the Titans injury report as being OUT, keep an eye on that if anyone has him. LINK

Good column there, but I got the impression that he's either very conservative, is a very good drafter or isn't advising for bigger leagues where you can't afford to sit everyone who appears to have a bad matchup. Be interesting to know the typical league/lineup size that he is advising for in consideration of future articles.
    Thanks for the feedback and catching my error on Erron Kinney. I meant to say Ben Troupe. The Gold Zone is terminology for inside the 5 yard line, where I consider fantasy games won or lost in most leagues. In replying to JP Losman, I try to cover every possible player that would inpact the fantasy day. I use the following criteria. If I think a running back, wide receiver, or TE will score I suggest starting him. Quarterbacks are rated on 2 touchdown passes or more, if they will throw one or less I advise sitting them. You would be surprised in the size of some leagues. Some older leagues have 14 teams and use 2 quarterbacks every week, thus the advice on what some would find useless such JP Losman. I attempt to cover every player.By the way I am from Baltimore, am a Ravens season ticket holder but far from a homer. Please archive my articles and read the Ravens section. Thanks again for the feedback.

5. Re: The Fantasy Roundtable

I am advising for basic scoring leagues who use one quarterback, 2 running backs, three wide receivers, a TE, kicker and a defense, basically old school fantasy football. You can afford to sit players I advise to sit if you have a good bench. You have to play the match up every week. I felt Brandon jacobs was a better option then Tiki Barber this past week in leagues that value scoring more than yardage. Thanks again

Blog Entries

I probably wouldn't start Mason or Clayton either unless they were a 3rd or 4th WR in a big roster and no other WR to start. On the other side I have Galloway and am sitting him. Likely a defensive battle as has been discussed here.
    Admin Steve :uk:
    Screwing up Ravens message boards since 1999.

Uhh, either I'm blind or you guys forgot to put the Dolphins-Steelers game in that article.

Good call....Try the archives GW....we had that on earlier this week...but to save you the time, here you go http://www.profootball24x7.com/fanta...6&view=archive

9. Re: The Fantasy Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave52
    Uhh, either I'm blind or you guys forgot to put the Dolphins-Steelers game in that article.
    We had that game covered on the site in the Fantasy Section -Roundtable, please refer to that. It should be there every Friday.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I always play my best players unless they are injured. I can't tell you how many times I tried to diagnose the team they were going against only to have them still play big regardless. That's my philosophy, anyway.

Meant to mention this before....Kurt will be on with Anita Marks at 4:40 today on AM 1300 to discuss the Fantasy Faceoff and other fantasy topics: http://www.profootball24x7.com/fanta...8&view=archive

Hmm he persuaded me to start Clayton, now I'm wondering... It's a 12 team standard scoring and he'd be a 4th WR filling in as a W/TE competing for that job are Booker, Moulds and Fauria. I think I still start him over Moulds.

Also he pushed me over the edge in the Droughns (s) vs Bush and Brown as a 12 team 2nd back and Caldwell over Gabriel in same said league. All in all a good read. I don't think that homerism was too bad.

UKRS - don't you remember TG from when Roaf was out last year? He will be kept in to help with Pollack most of the game. IMO. I wouldn't start him either, and actually avoided drafting him for that reason.