Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Still looking for the Haloti Ngata hold (video)

Anyone care to explain?

VIDEO

Blog Entries

Re: Still looking for the Haloti Ngata hold (video)

I have never seen holding called on a DT in my life. I MAY have seen it on a DE dropping into coverage, but can't recall, but that would be related to holding a WR, not a ... blocker.

Started watching football in the mid 70s as a kid. Have watched football the vast majority of weeks it's been played since that time. Wondering if anyone else on here has never seen it called either?

What's more amazing is, the refs manage to see THAT, but they don't see the million times Pryce gets held off the edge.

I didn't see a hold. It looks like the ref maybe thought Ngata held Eason allowing J.J. a clean lane to the QB. Ngata did get his arm inside on Eason but it wasn't a hold.

I thought the call was bush personally, but the announcers seemed to think it was a great one. Apparently, a defensive lineman can't hold an offensive lineman for the purpose of allowing another defensive player to run free into the backfield, or something along those lines. That was the basic explanantion provided by Collinsworth.

That looked like a good call to me. He clearly held the OG and kept him from at least getting a hand on JJ.

Was it as blatant as some others that I've seen not get called? No, but it did look like he held him.

I don't have a problem with that call...I do have a problem with the non PI call on that Mason ball to the end zone.

Blog Entries

Not sure if he held there or not, he might have grabbed the jersey. How about Ray getting tripped on that play right next to the hold.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    I have never seen holding called on a DT in my life.
    Jamal Lewis in our Superbowl win says "hi."

The call was a good one. If you look, Ngata took hold of the C's jersey and kept him from going back inside to stop the blitzer (I think it was Johnson?). Same way an OL isn't allowed to hold a defender from their intended path, the defender isn't allowed to do that to an offensive blocker. Had the C not clearly intended to move back right to block the blitzer, it wouldn't have been called. Because Ngata didn't let go to allow the C to engage, it was a hold.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

With all the holding the O lines get away with now days, it is a slap in the face to call holding on a DT who is allowed to grab jersey and hold, as long as he is holding on for the purpose of controlling his area and not for the purpose of creating a blitzing lane.

That is a call that should never be made, at least not until half the blatant O line holds are called.

He did grab the guy, but he did not keep him from blocking JJ, the reaction was late anyway and the best he could have done was hold Johnson or push him in the back. Like they do all day with vitual impunity.

:T2:

If you call that hold on Ngata (behind the play, ticky-tack, and meaningless), you should probably call the BLATANT tripping penalty by Mewelde Moore on Ray Lewis which took place during the SAME EXACT PLAY.

The Ravens sure have had some bad luck with officials this season.

In one of the replays, you can clearly see Ngata pulling the gaurds jersey to let JJ get by. Very rarely gets called, probably could on every play, but it was definately a hold.

I've seen holding calls on DT's, just never when they were getting double teamed.

And plus, Ngata was being held a little as well, that kind of stuff goes on every play.

This is just another example of the ref's watching us a little closer.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    This is just another example of the ref's watching us a little closer.
    Like when they called DPI against Mason's cover-man on the ball thrown about three feet oob instead of illegal contact to put us in FG range at the end of the game?

Or spotted the ball about five yards favorable for us on the last play of regulation to give Cundiff a shot at a 56 yarder instead of a 61 yarder?

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid