Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Harbaugh and Cam get an "A"

I was hoping Cam would wake the f@#k up and call an agrressive game....and he did! The play of the game IMO was the call to go for it on 4th down at midfield in the 4th Q. It told the team we're going for the win and they did. Congrats to Harbaugh for going for it and for Cam calling a great play on 4th down.....and not some goalline or "heavy" formation crap like last year!

Re: Harbaugh and Cam get an "A"

I liked the play calling, however I was unimpressed with the protection schemes in the second half when it was clear Gaither and Oher were wearing down.

I liked Harbaugh's gutsy 4th down call in the 4th quarter, especially risky considering how we have faired in close games this season.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    I liked Harbaugh's gutsy 4th down call in the 4th quarter, especially risky considering how we have faired in close games this season.
    That was one of those, he's a genuis if it works, or a moron if it doesn't, calls.
    Last edited by Dade; 11-30-2009 at 06:02 AM.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    That was one of those, he's a genuis if it works, or a moron if it doesn't, calls.
    Yea definitely, you will always have those reactionary type fans who will think like that. Personally I feel like it was a good risk to take all things considered, if it didn't work it still would have made sense to me, similar in a way to the Belicheat call.

Yea definitely, you will always have those reactionary type fans who will think like that. Personally I feel like it was a good risk to take all things considered, if it didn't work it still would have made sense to me, similar in a way to the Belicheat call.
    Agreed. But I was a little pissed at the TO before hand. Then I realized they were going for it, I calmed down. Liked the call.

Can't say the same for the Bellicheat call.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Agreed. But I was a little pissed at the TO before hand. Then I realized they were going for it, I calmed down. Liked the call.

Can't say the same for the Bellicheat call.
    Yeah, that Time Out pissed me off, because after they called the time out, they backed themselves into a corner where they now almost HAD to go for it.

I agree that it was a gutsy call, and I applaud Harbaugh for going for it. But that's a decision that needed to be made before the previous play. It's one of those "if we don't make it on 3rd down, get the punt team out right away and kick it, sparing time on the clock" or "this is 4-down territory, let's go for it." A little unprepared for the scenarios, but I suppose that's something as a young coach that he'll have to tweak.

Blog Entries

They HAD to go for it on 4th, TO or no, IMO.

Can't give 'em an A, because I thought the 3-incomplete-pass sequence from our own 17 yard line in OT could have been a killer. No idea why not one run play was called there, especially since we had been starting to beat up their D on the last few drives with the run game. We ended up giving them the ball on their own 45 after that. In OT. Yikes.

I'm a big Cam fan but I was dissapointed in our ability to adjust to their blitz pressures. They pulled the same defensive blitz a number of times and we let their guy through untouched TOO many times. Where was the RB to step up and block? Why didn't we alter our pickup schemes?

Also, it didn't seem like we had enough quick 3 step drop passes, quick slants, screens, etc. to counter their pressure. When we did run a screen it worked very well and I don't remember going back to it...

While we're on the topic of getting kicking/punt teams out on the field quickly:

Who wasn't impressed at how Cundiff got that FG attempt off in time? (Despite missing it.) It would've been a huge deal because, as Al Michaels said, "there would've been hell to pay for the ref team" because it was supposed to be spotted at the site of the fumble.
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis

I don't think we had a choice really. IIRC we had like 3+ minutes left? If we don't go for it we'd probably not see the ball again.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

How about Cam's use of 6 linemen at the end of overtime? Why don't we do this all the time, every single game? Ray Rice was carving up the Steelers defense in that package; even blitzing linebackers couldn't stop him. Rice had the same success with 6 linemen at the end of the Broncos game to score the final touchdown.

Seriously, if we can put 6 linemen on the field and run it with Rice 5-6 straight plays and gain positive yardage each time, why wouldn't we do this more often? I say if something works, then keep doing until it doesn't work anymore. It seems like defenses can't possibly contain this package.

12. Re: Harbaugh and Cam get an "A"

Did anyone else notice how half the Steelers coaching staff stood in the field of play for most of the forth quarter and OT? One time Tomlinson was so far on the field it looked like he was getting ready to cover Clayton. I don't know how they don't get called for a penalty or at least be told to get back where they belong. Roth.. was on the field for at least two plays that I saw as well.