Long read (but imho worth it)

Ok, I was doing a research project for my psychology class and I came across this article.

It's kind of long but it's pretty interesting study about penalties and agression regarding the color of uniforms. It applies to us since we wear black alternate uniforms. It's an old study but those of you that take the time to read it I think will enjoy it.

Title: The dark side of self- and social perception: Black uniforms and aggression in professional sports.

Author(s): Frank, Mark G., Cornell U, Ithaca, NY, US
    Gilovich, Thomas
    Source: Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol 54(1), Jan 1988. pp. 74-85.

Publisher: US: American Psychological Assn
    ISSN: 0022-3514 (Print)

Abstract: Black is viewed as the color of evil and death in virtually all cultures. With this association in mind, we were interested in whether a cue as subtle as the color of a person's clothing might have a significant impact on his or her behavior. To test this possibility, we examined whether professional football and ice hockey teams that wear black uniforms are more aggressive than those that wear nonblack uniforms. An analysis of the penalty records of the National Football League and the National Hockey League indicates that teams with black uniforms in both sports ranked near the top of their leagues in penalties throughout the period of study. On those occasions when a team switched from nonblack to black uniforms, the switch was accompanied by an immediate increase in penalties. The results of two laboratory experiments indicate that this finding can be attributed to both social perception and self-perception processes--that is, to the biased judgments of referees and to the increased aggressiveness of the players themselves. Our discussion focuses on the theoretical implications of these data for an understanding of the variable, or "situated," nature of the self. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2006 APA, all rights reserved)

http://mentor.lscf.ucsb.edu/course/s...ovich.1988.pdf

Re: Long read (but imho worth it)

You go to UMBC don't you? I read that study when I was in undergrad at UMBC.

I think there is merit to that study and it is another reason why the all Black uniforms are my favorite Raven uniform. It adds that intimidation factor and the Ravens do seem to increase their intensity when wearing those uniforms. The black uniforms seem to be very popular amongst the Ravens players.

The uniform that I think should be done away with is the all white uniform. It is such an overused uniform and does not fit the agressive nature of football. I could see mixing the white pants with another color jersey, or viceverse, but all white unis? Bland as vanilla. Of course, some are so conditioned to seeing all white uniforms that it will, unfortunately, never be eliminated.

Other ideas would be:

Home: All black uniforms
    Away: Purple jersey and white pants

Home: Black jersey and white pants
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Re: Long read (but imho worth it)

Other ideas would be:

Home: All black uniforms

Home: Black jersey and white pants
    Away: Purple jersey and white pants[/QUOTE]

The home team typically plays in their color jerseys & the road is for the whites. That said, home team has the option to switch, & the Ravens do, when it is still hot & humid here at the start of the season. Black is cool, but only for the late season or night games.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!