Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Climate Change..Case closed

It is good to see all the press that climate change has gotten of late. The verdict is clear that climate change is coming and coming fast and there is now no doubt that it is being caused by humans.

To hear the right wing goofs with quotes such as "global warming is a myth" and other such nonsense, it is a relief to be proven correct by so many scientists, however, depressing at the same time.

Human activity has caused irreversable damage to the earth and its climate, and the evidence is in.

As senator McCain has said "Climate change is happening, the debate is over!!" and now the debate is over as to why it is happening.

When even Dubya agrees that humans are having a horrible effect on the climate then the verdict is clear. :hammer:
    HottBirdz...

Re: Climate Change..Case closed

You're pathetic.

You're actually going to start another GW thread and not adress the facts? Would you like to see them? No, of course you wouldn't.

As much as you would like it to be, this isn't a partisan issue for conservatives. Liberals are so, hmm, what's the word? Excited with global warming? Entrenched in it? Casting a blind eye at the fact that the worlds climate is one of the most unpredictable things you could ever imagine?

The fact that the LCO started about one thousand years ago--lasting for 300 years; a period that is about 1-3 degrees Celcius warmer than today, is just one fact that speaks volumes. The the earth cooled until the mid 19th century, where it is seemingly warming again. It MUST be man-made. Right. It isn't possible that the earth's climate is naturally changing, AS IT ALWAYS HAS.

You are certainly a product of the ignorant, biased, and liberal media that pollutes this country. Ask yourself why you're so gung-ho on an issue that you've never bothered to understand. How are you, and the rest of your knee-jerk, ignorant liberals friends so sure that man is causing the climate to warm?

If you want to argue the facts, Champ, I'm all ears. If you would ever care to come to your own conclusions about ANYTHING, I'd give you atleast SOME respect. But, you don't. You parrot what your hero polticians drone on about for political gains.

Your posts are truley idiotic. Your idea of finding truth is when CNN and Time come out with their partisan "conclusion". Newsflash: it's not a majority of the "scientific community" that is on board with this nonsense.

Again, let's argue facts. Please.

Newsflash: it's not a majority of the "scientific community" that is on board with this nonsense.

Wow, lbooger with the early hate. You are such a bitter and angry guy. You need to chill out.

But, no, you’re right... Most scientists believe that spewing millions of tons of gunk in the air for a hundreds of years is good for the climate. Most think that the rapid rise in temperatures and the hottest year (2005) on record going back hundreds and hundreds of years in ice testing are just natural and happen to be a coincidence. If you believe that then you are dumber then I give you credit for, and I give you plenty.

Casting a blind eye at the fact that the worlds climate is one of the most unpredictable things you could ever imagine?

Well it is pretty easy to predict that the rapid increase in greenhouse gases (caused by the burning of fossil fuels at a record daily pace) in the atmosphere is going to have an effect on the environment. The global rise in temps can be linked side by side to those increases. How you cannot connect the two is beyond me, but luckily you have now officially been proven wrong by the overwhelmingly LARGE majority of the worlds climatologists.

This is not a partisan issue. Anybody who still thinks that man is not having an adverse effect on the climate and the air we breathe is a moron. I don’t care if you are a "liberal" or not. Obviously you do, you can sense your distain in your bitter posts. And the science supports that frame of thought. Not yours. Whatever the hell that is. (the climate is "unpredictable"...good theory)

You are on the wrong end of the science. This is not religion, just because you say one thing does not make it so.

How are you, and the rest of your knee-jerk, ignorant liberals friends so sure that man is causing the climate to warm?

As John McCain said... "the debate is over". Don’t you get it? As George W Bush just stated "I recognize the surface of the earth is warmer and that an increase in greenhouse gases caused by humans is contributing to the problem,"

I guess McCain and GWB are "knee-jerk, ignorant liberal friends" of mine.?? Hardly. Why don’t you look at the way you speak and classify people, it is rude, wrong, dismissive and overall extremely ignorant and knee-jerk to use your words.

You continue to find yourself on the wrong end of an argument. There is no change there. I am sure you think Iraq is going splendid as well, aren’t you the one that once said that it is too early to call Iraq a disaster??.

You live in bizarro land.:grbac:
    HottBirdz...

Do I give a shit what John McCain and W think? Nope. McCain is a politician in every sense of the word, and Bush, well let's just say he's been a disappointment to conservatives across the board. Him pandering to liberals is nothing new. Bush being inarticulate and blatantly ignorant is nothing new either. Unlike you, most people don't care what the politicians are saying. I don't particularly hold their opinions in a high regard.

Some people have adopted man-made global warming as a religion. If they bother to look at the facts, there is NO DEFINITIVE WAY to prove that man-made global warming is happening. That's what makes you, and others, look so incredibly foolish. To say "Climate Change..Case Closed" is so utterly absurd it's almost not worth addressing. How do you explain a warming period--warmer than it is today--a thousand years ago? How do you explain a mini-ice age for 500 years? How do you explain a warming period from the 1850's and on? Oh, it MUST be Man this time! Case Closed!!! Al Gore is right!

People were panicking in the 1970's about global cooling. People will be off this global warming-bandwagon within the next decade. It's been debunked plenty of times, and it has ATLEAST been proven that man-made global warming is a foolish stance, considering the unpredictbility of the climate, along with other factors. So, I ask, what is the motive behind the sensational movement of man-made global warming? It's been proven that it's IMPOSSIBLE to prove that man is having a significant effect on the climate. So, what's the motive? Oh, that's right. Political gains. It's the flavor of the month for liberals. There will be a new one soon enough.

I really don't have the time and desire to sit here and debate this with you. I've been through these arguments over on YBR, but strangely, you never stuck around to discuss the facts.

In order to argue with you, one most educate you, Champ. You operate off of ignorance. It's really not worth it to sit here and make you look like an idiot....AGAIN.

Maybe this will give you some perspective:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110008597

Or this:

http://www.americanthinker.com/2007/...ing_panic.html

That'll get you started.
    Last edited by LBoogy; 02-02-2007 at 03:22 PM.

Quick, everyone go get a hybrid today!

Do I give a shit what John McCain and W think? Nope. .... Unlike you, most people don't care what the politicians are saying.

Fortunately even Bush is more intelligent then you. He has been spouting the right wing nonsense just as you have for years, but has turned the corner in the face of science. He too knows that at this point you look foolish taking the stance that you do which is why it is so funny to see you squirm and have to fall back on ridiculous notions such as hoping that people will stop talking about the "flavor of the month" in 10 years. Great argument guy.

Do you think Bush came out with that ONE sentence to win approval points? Is that what you are trying to say? He mentioned it once. ONCE. One time. OHHHH, look at all those liberals he is appeasing. What a joke. Its not like he is doing this to gain approval. He said it because it is true. He has more data then you will ever have and has made his decision.

And are you really so dim witted to believe that "people don't care" what Bush and McCain think on these issues? I assume so. It is on the cover of every paper across the world. So it seems that people do care. Whether or not you want to pull your head out of the dirt and look around every once and awhile is another issue all together. Or just pile on the dirt and scream "liberals!!!" as loud as you can. That seems to be your only answer to any evidence you don’t like. It’s childish, simple minded and is a losing stance as you have found out.

there is NO DEFINITIVE WAY to prove that man-made global warming is happening

As i stated earlier if you look at the rises in GHG's and the rise in temps they mirror each other. That is not a coincidence. If that is your stance then fine. You look like a fool.

That's what makes you, and others, look so incredibly foolish.

I would dare say that any climatologist (you know, the people who know vastly more information on the subject then you) would say you are the one that looks foolish.

How do you explain a mini-ice age for 500 years? How do you explain a warming period from the 1850's and on? Oh, it MUST be Man this time! Case Closed!!! Al Gore is right!

Obviously the climate fluctuates. But not as quickly and as obviously as it has in the past 50 years. All the ice tests that have been published prove that. This century has been the hottest recorded in over 1000 years. Period. Could some of that be natural. I'm sure. But to totally excuse ANY human involvement is asinine, stupid, ignorant, dim witted.... you name it.

People were panicking in the 1970's about global cooling

Hey, guy. That was almost 40 years ago. Way to bring up current trends in knowledge and science to support your argument.

and it has ATLEAST been proven that man-made global warming is a foolish stance

Uh, guy. No it has not. Quite the contrary.

Man causing Global Warming

Human activity in Global Warming

The Bush administration acknowledges that global warming is man–made

New proof that man has caused global warming

Wow, how foolish. And to think some guy named Booger on a message board is so much smarter then virtually every scientist and climatologist on the face of the earth. EVEN THE PRESIDENT:grbac:

Its laughable how little respect you and people of your ilk give to the fragility of the earth and its atmosphere with relation to how humans could (over time) have on its overall stability. To totally disregard it will put you on the wrong end of the argument such as you find yourself now.
    Last edited by ChampRavens; 02-02-2007 at 04:32 PM.
    HottBirdz...

Here is a section from one of the articles. I believe this breaks down one of the studies fairly simple for you.

The strongest evidence yet that global warming has been triggered by human activity has emerged from a major study of rising temperatures in the world’s oceans.

The present trend of warmer sea temperatures, which have risen by an average of half a degree Celsius (0.9F) over the past 40 years, can be explained only if greenhouse gas emissions are responsible, new research has revealed.

The results are so compelling that they should end controversy about the causes of climate change, one of the scientists who led the study said yesterday.

"The debate about whether there is a global warming signal now is over, at least for rational people,"

In the study, Dr Barnett’s team examined more than seven million observations of temperature, salinity and other variables in the world’s oceans, collected by the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and compared the patterns with those that are predicted by computer models of various potential causes of climate change.

It found that natural variation in the Earth’s climate, or changes in solar activity or volcanic eruptions, which have been suggested as alternative explanations for rising temperatures, could not explain the data collected in the real world. Models based on man-made emissions of greenhouse gases, however, matched the observations almost precisely.

Case closed.
    Last edited by ChampRavens; 02-02-2007 at 04:33 PM.
    HottBirdz...

Read Michael Crichton "State of Fear"

blah blah blah, fiction, but he has it based on a massive amount of scientific research. read some of the papers.

Are humans changing the environment? Yeah, we're drilling for gas, building big cities and having a jolly old time.

If there is even a substantial shift, common perception overstates the "warming" aspects.

One study doesn't mean much and media hype is making more of this case than anything else

Champ, you're so lost, as usual.

Debating with you is an absolute waste of time.

It's amazing to me that you manage to bring up George Bush in a debate on global warming.

I'm done.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

As John McCain said... "the debate is over". Don’t you get it? As George W Bush just stated "I recognize the surface of the earth is warmer and that an increase in greenhouse gases caused by humans is contributing to the problem,"
    Uh, the earth is warming but is still NO WHERE NEAR AS WARM AS IT HAS BEEN IN THE PAST. Second, we are indeed contributing to it, just by creating artificial heat we use to warm our homes, dry our clothes, the heat of the many engines we use, and to a degree...green house gases. The thing is, why is it a problem? That part is not proven at all.

The present trend of warmer sea temperatures, which have risen by an average of half a degree Celsius (0.9F) over the past 40 years, can be explained only if greenhouse gas emissions are responsible, new research has revealed.
    Really, so the artificial heat we create can't be?

And again, so what, the damage that MIGHT be caused is complete speculation, it might even mean more species can thrive on earth with more areas climactically hospitable.
    Last edited by Greg; 02-14-2007 at 12:11 PM.

Unfortunately Lboog's could no longer spew out his nonsense. He lost. Too bad. The science and common sense seem to have finally got to him I see. He did not refute a single scientific statement made on this page. Not one. Zero. But he "is done". Hmmm. Strange.

Uh, the earth is warming but is still NO WHERE NEAR AS WARM AS IT HAS BEEN IN THE PAST.

Nobody is saying it is as warm as in the past. What past are you referring to anyways? Prehistoric times? 10,000 years ago???? That statement is far too vague to even comment upon.

The facts are that the temps are rising, and rising faster then nature itself can produce. This will cause an untold # of problems. From rising sea levels that will wipe out millions of miles of property, land, and habitats for all kinds of humans and other species on the shores of the earth, to bugs and insects able to infest areas that were once inhospitable for them, destroying the habitat for polar bears and penguins, and causing a general chain reaction that could wipe out all kinds of wonderful species. Who wants to see that for their grandchildren? Who? :grbac:

The problem is that this freight train is going too fast. We probably can’t stop it now. It will take too long to create new energy resources that are clean, and too hard to reverse what we have been doing for well over 150 years. We must just deal with what we have done, learn and pass the knowledge on and hope for the best.

Second, we are indeed contributing to it, just by creating artificial heat we use to warm our homes, dry our close, the heat of the many engines we use, and to a degree...green house gases.

Tell that to Lboogy. He will refute that I am sure with some lobbyist spin paid for by Exxon Mobile, or data that was intentionally changed and altered in numerous reports by the Bush administration. Oh, whooops, I am not supposed to mention who is running the country when mentioning the governments handling of climate/scientific data. How ridiculous does that sound??.

The thing is, why is it a problem? That part is not proven at all.

The problems are pretty clear. As mentioned above. There is little good that can come from rapid raising temps. There will be more extreme storms; seashores across the world will be wiped out as we currently know them due to the fact that the caps are melting. That is proven fact already. Case closed.
    Mass extinction of some of the worlds most treasured species could occur quite easily as has been proposed by some of the same scientists ringing the alarm bell now. There are bound to be more and more dramatic weather events such as this year with cherry blossoms blooming in mid January, just to be iced over a week later with record ice storms, to events such as more Katrina-type storms. That cannot be good for species of any kind. Species of all kinds will suffer, plant and animal. There is very little doubt of that.

[I]Quote:

Really, so the artificial heat we create can't be?[/I]

I suppose it is possible, but to produce any "artificial heat" requires the burning of energy and ultimately fossil fuels which bring us back to the original problem of greenhouse gasses. But artificial heat is real. As are the other issues that I have brought up and that some people on earth just are unable to come to grips with. It’s quite sad for them.

They have missed the bus. As McCain said: The debate is over. We are moving on without the few naysayer left. They are excluded. Nobody cares about them.

And again, so what, the damage that MIGHT be caused is complete speculation, it might even mean more species can thrive on earth with more areas climactically hospitable.

Wouldn't you rather err on the side of caution? That is what this is all about. If we listen to simpletons who gather data from Exxon Mobile and their lobbyists we will ultimately look like fools. Can you imagine the future generations looking back at how foolish some sound now. "Why didn’t you do something" they will ask. "The science was clear".

What will we say? “Well we thought more species could thrive on an earth with horrible weather patterns, rapid rises in GHG's, and temps raising faster then nature was able to produce”. It is pretty hard to spin what is happening as good for other species. Many more will die before they "thrive". That theory has very little support by any scientists much less by any sort of data or theory. Quite the opposite actually.
    HottBirdz...