Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Blind Side

The Blind Side

Is anyone else starting to get sick of these movie trailers? Sure, I think its great that a Raven is featured on the big screen, but it seems like there's a commerical for this movie during every TV break and it's causing me to lose some of my enthusiasm. The good news is, if it's starting to annoying me it really has to be pissing the Steeler fans off!

Re: The Blind Side

Quote Originally Posted by 00Ravens View Post
    The good news is, if it's starting to annoying me it really has to be pissing the Steeler fans off!
    Heh, just look at it that way then, it should ease your pain more.
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by CoverD View Post
    Heh, just look at it that way then, it should ease your pain more.
    Oh, that definitely makes it more palatable. I think part of the reason I'm so annoyed by it is the stupid song that's in the trailer. I can't get it out of my head. I think they're trying to make Oher seem like a big softy, but we all know that he's a raging lunatic between the whistles.

Well, I saw in one trailer/commercial that they do show him picking up the one defender and trying to put his ass back on the bus that was discussed in the book. So hopefully they do show his intensity after he gets used to the game.
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis

How excited should we be about this movie when Michael Oher doesn't seem to like it? He said it makes him look stupid and like he needed this White family to come and rescue him.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenMad View Post
    How excited should we be about this movie when Michael Oher doesn't seem to like it? He said it makes him look stupid and like he needed this White family to come and rescue him.
    And that is my problem with the movie. Oher himself is not a fan of this movie or the book, which makes me wonder if anyone talked to him before making it.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenMad View Post
    I hadn't heard that... is there a story or interview you can link to?
    Not doubting you, just looking for more info.
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!

Who'd of thunk it?

Hollywood taking a story and skewing it so that it fits what they want to portray on the screen.

PP

Yeah, the trailers do kind of make Big Mike look like Lenny from "Of Mice and Men"...:grbac:

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    And that is my problem with the movie. Oher himself is not a fan of this movie or the book, which makes me wonder if anyone talked to him before making it.
    Yeah I heard the same thing. Even from just the trailers, it doesn't look to portray how Michael really was/is. The guy in the film that plays Mike looks like a sad puppy dog. Even with a blank expression Oher looks ready to tear someone's head off!

But that's typical Hollywood change the story and or characters to make a mass appealing film.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

I got to see an early screening of the movie last week. It is a very heartfelt and moving movie but they do give the character of Michael Oher the "Forest Gump" treatment and make him appear dumber and slower then he really is.

With that the movie was very good and well done. The ending of the film caused the audience I was with to cheer and clap very loudly and this was a good three minutes before the credits start to role.
    Pffffff! I trust wikipedia more than the NFL. If anyone would know football, it is clearly wikipedia.
    -xmradiodave 9/13/08

Smile Re: The Blind Side

Quote Originally Posted by 00Ravens View Post
    Is anyone else starting to get sick of these movie trailers?
    Use a DVR -- you will never have to watch a movie trailer again. I only watched the trailer over the internet because it was posted here a few weeks ago.

As to the movie & reviews: I will likely enjoy this movie a lot - I like sports movies, I love the Ravens, I like tear jerkers with happy endings. It's all fantasy coming from Hollywood, anyway, and doubtful that Oher is portrayed any less accurately than Hollywood has portrayed Patton, McArthur, Eisenhower, Rommel, JFK, Bush, Brian Picolo, Ernie Davis, or John Wilkes Booth.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).