Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question 5 Things I Know After 8 games

1. At 4-4 we are not out of the playoff picture, but winning the division is pretty much gone now.

2. We are not a good road team. We are 1-3 on the road and good teams win games on the road.

3. The offense is just not consistent from game to game.

4. We don't come back when trailing to win games.

5. The offense seems to be too centered around Ray Rice. Granted he is our best weapon, but it seems to me we need more output from the TE and WR positions.

FM
    Last edited by Fanman; 11-09-2009 at 10:51 AM.

Blog Entries

Re: 5 Things I Know After 8 games

Quote Originally Posted by Fanman View Post
    1. At 4-4 we are not out of the playoff picture, but winning the division is pretty much gone now.

2. We are not a good road team. We are 1-3 on the road and good teams win games on the road.

5. The offense seems to be to centered around Ray Rice. Granted he is our best weapon, but it seems to me we need more output from the TE and WR positions.

FM
    I could add another five but I don't wanna stress myself out....

4 - we have the ability to come back; it's just that we have certain individuals(Hauschka, Clayton, for example) who seem to get flustered during 'crunch' time.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Hey RJ...I agree w/ you, but isn't being able to come back having the guys that CAN make those plays in crunch time? We just don't seem to have those players right now.

FM

It's time to admit we're not that good.

People can try to say "well, if you change this than we can be as good as anyone" all they want but just do an eye test.

Team is average.

PP

Hey RJ...I agree w/ you, but isn't being able to come back having the guys that CAN make those plays in crunch time? We just don't seem to have those players right now.

FM
    Yea, that's right. I just hope that maybe next time they won't have time to think about it, and actually deliver, which is what they are paid to do.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Mathmatically, this is correct. Realistically I don't know at this point how we make it in. It's going to take 2 from Pittsburgh, and beating the Colts to get in as the Wild Card. OR it's going to take a mighty meltdown from the Bengals, and their schedule minus Pittsburgh next week is a freaking cakewalk.

Which is so wierd because last year we were great on the road.

5. The offense seems to be too centered around Ray Rice. Granted he is our best weapon, but it seems to me we need more output from the TE and WR positions.

Good points all, but we aren't built offensively to compete with good defenses. It's crazy that even with a franchise QB leading the helm, we have reverted back to our running back being the main weapon. And look how they took Rice out of the running game yesterday.

Good defenses swallow up our receivers. It's just a fact. It's something that cannot be fixed this year. And unless Ozzie finally gets the picture that we don't have a breakaway playmaking WR on the team maybe he'll go after one next year. I don't know. With our luck he'll resign Clayton and think maybe year 6 will be the year he becomes an impact player.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    It's time to admit we're not that good.

People can try to say "well, if you change this than we can be as good as anyone" all they want but just do an eye test.

Team is average.

PP
    IIRC I heard after the first Bengals loss that all these problems could be coached into being fixed. For many people this has never been about the players or the talent on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Team is average.

PP
    I agree. But having said that, this is a team that could end-up 10-6. Win against the Browns, Bears, Lions, Raiders; split with Pittsburgh (definitely doable, at home); and steal one from Green Bay - all doable. Whether they can actually do that remains to be seen. Their team discipline is Billickesque, and that does Not bode well for winning down the stretch. The 52 Mighty Men are going to have change their ways, and avoid the mistakes to make it to post-season. But, on paper, 10-6 is doable.

How do we split with Pittsburgh after watching the last 5 games??

We don't win on the road, we don't win close games and we don't beat teams with winning records.

That usually means you have a average/bad team.

We had a cakewalk schedule last year...our road wins were against Miami, Browns, Bengals, Texans, Cowboys...2 winning records in there, one was against a team that clearly played over their heads last year and the other was in the middle of an epic meltdown.
    Last edited by Raveninwoodlawn; 11-09-2009 at 11:31 AM.

12. Re: 5 Things I Know After 8 games

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    How do we split with Pittsburgh after watching the last 5 games??
    The same way we split with them in 2005 and 2007. Throw the form book out the window when it comes to the Steelers game.