1. Looking Back at the Denver Game

It seems that the Broncos never really tried to go deep...So, what do you think was the reason for them not testing our corners for the long ball? We've given up many plays over 20 yards, I believe it is something like 20 plays! Was it because we put massive pressure on Kyle Boller..um.....er.....I mean Kyle Orton, or was it because Kyle Orton loves the short passing YAC game and couldn't throw the long ball? What say you?

Wink Re: Looking Back at the Denver Game

Jarrett Johnson set the tone on the 1st play of the game. Orton was pretty much restricted to 3-step drops.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: Looking Back at the Denver Game

I wondered too why they weren't throwing the ball deep more often. I think it mostly just came down to pressure. Orton didn't have time to take deep drops and throw long, because the Ravens had people getting to him. He had to either dump it off, or take shorter drops and have the WR's run shorter patterns.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Pressure was definitely part of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if we were holding our safeties back there in coverage quite a bit.

Denver isn't really a deep passing team. Most of their long completion come from short throws and Marshall running away from the secondary.

Their offense, and Orton's career, is defined by making safe throws and smart choices - no turnovers.

We were actually able to move the safety's landmarks up and compress the field against Denver.

I doubt we'll have that luxury this week.

Blog Entries

I think the pressure was getting there and he never settled in. He is not a real deep ball threat, but shorter passes are usually easier to make the pressure was getting there and the WR were a little timit catching the ball across the middle. Maybe because of a man named Ray Lewis, but i think the best thing to take away from this game defensively is the pressure against one of the better OL in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswarrior19 View Post
    Denver isn't really a deep passing team. Most of their long completion come from short throws and Marshall running away from the secondary.

Their offense, and Orton's career, is defined by making safe throws and smart choices - no turnovers.

We were actually able to move the safety's landmarks up and compress the field against Denver.

I doubt we'll have that luxury this week.
    This.

They're middle of the road on a list of teams with the most plays over 20 yards, and a good chunk of them are YAC. They aren't a down-field team at all. But they are a very good offense.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid