Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Denver Game Plan

Pretty dumb in my opinion. They tried to mix up the short passing game with the run and failed miserably. I can understand going in that direction to start the game and that's their offensive style, but when it didn't work they didn't adapt or change.

If I were Denver I would have increased the number of passes downfield to the wide outs and definitely tried to get lots of mismatches downfield using Brandon Marshall. I know Orton doesn't have the greatest arm but he can throw it well enough for 15-25 yard completions.

Our defensive game plan was a perfect antidote to their game plan and we executed it very well too.

Kudos to Harbaugh, Cameron and Mattison and boos (or is it cheers?)to the Denver guys.

Re: Denver Game Plan

The difference was simple - we blitzed and got pressure. It's hard to throw a deep ball when you only have one or two seconds to get the ball off if that. We had guys in Orton's face all day.

I hope we see more of this defense, looked like the old Ravens. Before we would get burned deep on occasion but at least we went down swinging. The last few games it's like we've been sitting back and waiting for the deep bombs to destroy us. The defense brought the firepower to them yesterday, and it worked.

Because Orten does not have the big arm, it looked to me that Fab-Fox were able to jump the short to intermediate routes all day. That prevented Orten from getting into any rhythm. I am surprised other teams haven't played him like that before...maybe they have and it wasn't as effective. There really isn't a fear of the double-move with Orten.

Also I think JJ's blitz to start the game had Orten a bit gun shy out there. Did you see the way Orten looked up after that play? He never saw JJ and I think was completely shocked.

I also heard that Brandon MArshall flicked off his own team after the game and walked into the locker by himself. Seems like he wasn't a big fan of the game plan either.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    The difference was simple - we blitzed and got pressure. It's hard to throw a deep ball when you only have one or two seconds to get the ball off if that. We had guys in Orton's face all day.

I hope we see more of this defense, looked like the old Ravens. Before we would get burned deep on occasion but at least we went down swinging. The last few games it's like we've been sitting back and waiting for the deep bombs to destroy us. The defense brought the firepower to them yesterday, and it worked.
    That was true at times but there were quite a few occassions when Orton had time enough to go downfield.

I agree about wanting to see more of this defense.

5. Re: Denver Game Plan

Orton couldn't hold onto the ball for very long because our pass rush was getting there all day.

Our secondary had been tackling like a bunch of little girls, getting the ball in a 230 lb WR's hands against us makes sense.

Orton doesn't throw the deep ball all that well. They haven't been in many 3rd and long situations this year because they have run the ball really well on first and second downs.

Our corners were quick enough to stay with Eddie.

Put all those together, and it's a rough outing for the Broncos even if the game plan sounded decent coming in.

We had a safety deep all day. They weren't getting anything over the top on us. We played perfect defense. Why? Because guys stuck to their assignments, played fundamentally solid football, and didn't get penalized to extend drives. We do that the rest of the year, we're going to finish as a top 7 defense, maybe top 5.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    We had a safety deep all day. They weren't getting anything over the top on us. We played perfect defense. Why? Because guys stuck to their assignments, played fundamentally solid football, and didn't get penalized to extend drives. We do that the rest of the year, we're going to finish as a top 7 defense, maybe top 5.

- C -
    Pretty much.

The deep safety gave the corners freedom to play much closer to the line of scrimmage.

That was especially apparent with Washington as opposed to the 12 -14 yard cushion he was giving in the Vikings game.

Technique and not deviating from assignments were absolutely the biggest key to the defensive performance yesterday.

PP

This was exactly my point! Before we were getting beat deep and we were playing conservative. If you get beat deep, at least get after them...

Kyle Orton is not Tom Brady, Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning, or Ben Roethlisberger.

We exposed their offensive scheme and beat Denver soundly. Excellent.

But don't mistake today's game with next week's, or the games to follow. My feeling is our defense finally got an offense that they really match up well against. It will be a significant challenge to extend yesterday's success to the games to come, against the bigger air attacks we will face in the coming weeks.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Kyle Orton is not Tom Brady, Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning, or Ben Roethlisberger.

We exposed their offensive scheme and beat Denver soundly. Excellent.

But don't mistake today's game with next week's, or the games to follow. My feeling is our defense finally got an offense that they really match up well against. It will be a significant challenge to extend yesterday's success to the games to come, against the bigger air attacks we will face in the coming weeks.
    I disagree. Last year on opening day we faced a healthy Carson Palmer and blitzed the hell out of him. He didn't do shit all day. He can't move in the pocket to save his life and the Bungles o-line is suspect.

This year we rushed three on the final drive and let him (and the officials) pick us apart. Stupid IMO. I hope we attack him like we did Orton.

I disagree. Last year on opening day we faced a healthy Carson Palmer and blitzed the hell out of him. He didn't do shit all day. He can't move in the pocket to save his life and the Bungles o-line is suspect.

This year we rushed three on the final drive and let him (and the officials) pick us apart. Stupid IMO. I hope we attack him like we did Orton.
    I hope you're right. I hope success against Denver's offense translates into success against these other teams, I really do. I wish I had your confidence it was that easy.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

It is true orton is no brady. However, it sure seemed from my POV watching the game there seemed to be a pretty drastic tweak in the way the D played. Not sure if it was scheme, mental, preparation or what but the whole D seemed much more to all be on the same page and much, much less guys out of position.

If the D keeps playing like that they will fare much better against anyone. Will they hold them yo 0 or 7 points, probably not. But they should keep them to low to mid 20s or less. And with our O looking like it does these days that should be enough.
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!