Post draft question

Hi guys, I posted this same questions a few months back but I think it might have been picked up wrong.

I understand that before the draft that teams have "a shopping list" of sorts for picking players.

Why would a team not show their "list" after the draft is complete? Could it affect the following season?

It would be pretty sweet to see it....:p

Re: Post draft question

I think I answered the question back then too. It's the same reason card players don't reveal their hands when the table folds. You never want to give the competition more information about you that necessary. If you had the Ravens Draft cards from the last ten years, you can determine what type of players they go for and why, what they do when players go off the board, when they bluff, what they might look for in trade, how they valued their eventual picks and what they think others are likely to do.

It's bad enough that they have lost so many "insiders" over the last few years and those guys know the "system". Another reason may be that it may reveal needs that they still have. it could also give insights to other teams as to what the Ravens view as weak spots....

Blog Entries

I can think of two reasons...

#1 That list can be applied well after the draft...eg, a guy I think should've been pretty well on that list, Omar Jacobs, is on the P Sq of the Steelers. Now, if he was a guy high up on our list, the Bengals might try to sign him to keep him away from us. A little stretch, but it could apply in terms of FA and trades too.

#2 It still might give teams a peek into our thought process during the draft. Certain players with certain attributes might keep popping to the top again and again (speed, strength, agility), so some snarky teams might catch on
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by Irishraven
    Why would a team not show their "list" after the draft is complete? Could it affect the following season?
    I can think of a couple of reasons:

1) It could show how dumb you are as an organization. (Of course, It could also show how smart you are -- I've always wondered if they had Lawrence Phillips higher on their board than JO in 1996.)

2) It might be upsetting to players you did draft if they knew where you ranked them.

I don't think it serves a purpose other than satisfying the fans curiosity. Best to let the play of the picks on the filed justify their selection by the team.
    She had me at "Hell, NO!"