Ravens @ Vikings: Preview and Key Matchup

Ravens v. Vikings
    By Dev Panchwagh

Offense

1) Attack the linebackers: The trio of Minnesota backers is as good a group against the run as there is in the league. They have great gap integrity, tackle well, and pursue from sideline-to-sideline. However, they are not as strong in pass coverage.

This is a group that has given up big plays against tight ends. Specifically, Vernon Davis and Jermichael Finley put together two of the bigger performances by tight ends this season.

The Ravens will need the same type of effort from Todd Heap. Heap will have to work out of multiple spots along the line, and stretch his routes downfield. He will need to force the backers out of the box and into the open field, where they lack the quickness to keep up.

Here's the complete look at Dev's Battle Plans

Re: Ravens @ Vikings: Preview and Key Match up

Please pass on to Dev for me that his article was the best pre-game match-up I've read on the INTERNET about these 2 teams yet!

Excellent work!
    :word
    [IMG]http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo277/scoodledoo2009/08nfcNORTHCHAMPS.gif[/IMG]
    [COLOR="Purple"][B]'Lo there, do I see the line of my People...Back to the Beginning.
    'Lo do They call to me...They bid me take my Place among Them...in the Halls of VALHALLA where the Brave may live... FOREVER![/B][/COLOR]

Re: Ravens @ Vikings: Preview and Key Matchup

Yeah, many fans aren't going to like this, but we're going to have to pass a lot to set up the run. I may be nuts, but I kinda like the idea of coming out in 4 wide and seeing how good their nickel and dime corners are. Then, run some draws and screens. Then, bring in the big boys and start grinding meat..

I'm not a OC, but let's hope Cam is in more of an attack mode this game, and puts the Billick play book back on the shelf. Better yet, burn and bury it..

I'm starting to get pumped!

4. Re: Ravens @ Vikings: Preview and Key Matchup

Very good breakdown of the game ahead. It outlines the tasks at hand well. All through I would throw in someone stop Allen from living in the backfield. If the have to Keep puting TEs over there to help out blocking. It it going to make it a moot point our avg LBs coverage skills.

5. Re: Ravens @ Vikings: Preview and Key Matchup

I think some of the analysis is wishful thinking but possible.

It is unlikely that the Ravens O will protect the QB from the defense as well as get chucks of yardage on 1st down. Any yardage on the ground will be tough.

It is also unlikely that the Ravens D not only put Adrian down to 3 yards per carry as well as force Favre into check downs in zone. Adrian will get his yardage in a zone defense. The Vikings will force the issue with long routes for Berrian, Harvin, and Rice. That will either open up the underneath for check downs or pay big yardage in chucks.

What Favre has done so well so far is finding the weakness that the other teams leave with them trying to stop Adrian Peterson. No team has shut both of them down yet this year.

Dont forget the fan noise will be loud so account for two or three false start penalties in well timed spots. I doubt Flacco has seen the kind of noise he will be getting at the Metrodome. That will also put a damper on the passing game. I think crowd noise affects the passing game far more than the run game.

The best shot is to work Todd Heap for all he is and dump the ball off to Rice using play action and screens. I doubt it works more than any other teams that have tried this. I think the VIkings defense is one of the toughest to score on in the red zone because the best yardage is when you spread out the defense. Nose to nose, this defense will not be pushed back.