Ravens players are pretty stupid too

Whether Walker interfered or not, he is extremely stupid for trying to break up the pass in the first place. Situationally it was 3rd and 16 and the Bengals had 0 TOs. It was an underneath 10yd pass. Worst case, stick him tight, allow the catch,and then tackle him immediately afterwards. Then its 4th down and 4-6yds to go and the Bengals have to rush up to the line. They can't spike since its 4th down and obviously they would be disorganized. A PI is absolutely the worst thing you can do in that situation b/c it stops the clock, and Walker could have obviously avoided this. Another reason why that Lewis hit killed us, b/c it knock out Fabian and force the Ravens to insert Frank 'Always Tanks' Walker

Re: Ravens players are pretty stupid too

ok we all need to stop crying. can we start looking towards next week

Agreed but I hope the coaches today are chewing out the players asses for stupid shit like that. It better not happen again. I am afraid all these mental errors and penalties are too much of a common Monday theme, and this comes down to coaching too.

Bite your tongue 52 just bite it.......

Blog Entries

you know what else could happen...Frank sits back, lets him make the catch, tries to stick him and BAM, the guy sidesteps him and gets the 1st down, if not more.

I don't think a CB should be told NOT to try to make a play on the ball if he thinks he has one. 4th and 16 with the clock stopped is still better than 4th and 6th with the clock running. The only thing that makes the argument feasible is the PI he (allegedly) committed. Without that, it's a clean tip, it's 4th and 16, and they need one BIG play to convert.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I don't think a CB should be told NOT to try to make a play on the ball if he thinks he has one.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

I thought it was a good play. But, hey, i am not a Ref.

But, I saw almost the exact same play occur in the Broncos v Patriots game last night and Chris Colinsworth was lauding what a great play it was stating "its not pass interference because he didn't turn the receiver around, he just had his hand on his back". Ok really Chris?

Not sure if he is correct here or not. But the play was the same. Defender behind the receiver reaching over to knock the ball down, while making contact on the receivers back. I the case of the latter game contact was initiated prior to the ball getting nocked down as well.

sour grapes on my part. But, i just wish there were some consistency.

Section 106 from start to finish!

Quote Originally Posted by hurting View Post
    I thought it was a good play. But, hey, i am not a Ref.

But, I saw almost the exact same play occur in the Broncos v Patriots game last night and Chris Colinsworth was lauding what a great play it was stating "its not pass interference because he didn't turn the receiver around, he just had his hand on his back". Ok really Chris?

Not sure if he is correct here or not. But the play was the same. Defender behind the receiver reaching over to knock the ball down, while making contact on the receivers back. I the case of the latter game contact was initiated prior to the ball getting nocked down as well.

sour grapes on my part. But, i just wish there were some consistency.

I saw it and heard it too (but it was Phil Simms talking). "In the NFL, you can have your hand on his back as long as you don't turn the receiver. That was a great play".

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Whether Walker interfered or not, he is extremely stupid for trying to break up the pass in the first place. Situationally it was 3rd and 16 and the Bengals had 0 TOs. It was an underneath 10yd pass. Worst case, stick him tight, allow the catch,and then tackle him immediately afterwards. Then its 4th down and 4-6yds to go and the Bengals have to rush up to the line.
    Are you serious with this?

You think a DB is gonna go out there and think about this stuff in the heat of a game after just being inserted from the bench?

Hell, even if he did think of that stuff he wouldn't risk missing the tackle anyway.

His job is to defend against the pass being complete either by knocking it away or intercepting it if in good position to do so.
    That is just natural instinct coming into play.

Dude made what I thought was a good play.He reached around in front and swatted the ball away.
    That's what he's supposed to do.

Keep the receiver in front of you, knock the ball away.
    If they're going to call that ticky tack crap then every DB in the league is screwed and the game is toast. (seems to be heading that way anyway)

Sorry, but didn't see anybody busting Walkers chops after his nice play in San Diego when he came in.
    That play by him there very well might have won that game for us.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Whether Walker interfered or not, he is extremely stupid for trying to break up the pass in the first place. Situationally it was 3rd and 16 and the Bengals had 0 TOs. It was an underneath 10yd pass. Worst case, stick him tight, allow the catch,and then tackle him immediately afterwards. Then its 4th down and 4-6yds to go and the Bengals have to rush up to the line. They can't spike since its 4th down and obviously they would be disorganized. A PI is absolutely the worst thing you can do in that situation b/c it stops the clock, and Walker could have obviously avoided this. Another reason why that Lewis hit killed us, b/c it knock out Fabian and force the Ravens to insert Frank 'Always Tanks' Walker
    I don't think a player can be called stupid for making a play on the ball. Walker made the right play, it just went wrong. You can't half-ass plays. I doubt there's a coach in the NFL that would, without knowledge that a PI would get called, would ascribe to the let-him-catch-it methodology. This kind of hindsight seems very unfair and unrealistic to me. In the world of ifs, if Walker had let him catch it, and then they convert for the td on 4th down, and he quoted this let-him-catch-it plan in a post game interview, he's be roasted for it. There's plenty to lament in this loss, but this isn't one of those things. Players can't not make the right play for fear that a ref will make the wrong call.
    The Ravens are every bit the top tier team they were 2 weeks ago. Probably fortunately, they're just not perfect at this stage of the season. Bad tasting medicine still cures.

Absolutely I want Frank Walker defend the pass everytime except in that situation. Frank has a rep around the league to hold WRs, and when a close call, the refs are going to call a PI against him everytime. I will continue to defend my view strongly, that you take the safe route, and let the WR catch the 10yd underneath route on a 3rd and 16 with no TOs instead of risking it by making a breakup and getting an unacceptable PI. Even if Walker miraculously misses the tackle after allowing Chad to catch it, there were plenty of Ravens defenders right around him to tackle him since it was an underneath pass. A lot of you bitch about the refs making these bogus calls... Sure they are, but why get into the situation in the first place when you dont need to.

Ok I will concede that Stupid is the wrong term to use... but I'll say a risky and not smart decision

Quote Originally Posted by hurting View Post
    I saw almost the exact same play occur in the Broncos v Patriots game last night and Chris Colinsworth was lauding what a great play it was stating "its not pass interference because he didn't turn the receiver around, he just had his hand on his back". Ok really Chris?
    Walker's interference occurred before the ball got there.

Chad Johnson ran downfield and cut it in at the 20 yard line. Walker was right with him, on his hip. Then Johnson reversed and headed toward the sideline. Walker was going the wrong way: he tugged on Johnson's left hip, to slow him down. You can see Johnson's left hip get pulled, turning him partway to face the end zone. The ball was thrown right around this moment. Walker lets go, and in another step or so he knocks the ball away with his right.

The reason Walker's left arm was draped across Chad Johnson's back, is because he had just let go of Johnson's hip just a step before.

Accurate call by the ref. Sometimes defenders get away with this, but it was an accurate call.

Dammit.