Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Clayton

Mark Clayton

I know there has been a few threads about him already but I didn't feel like going and searching for them. I was talking to a friend, who like most of us is a big Ravens fan. But, after this past weeks game and the drop that came from Clayton he is really on his case.

He was telling me that Clayton had NO drops last season but, that wasn't a big deal because he missed a good amount of time and we didn't pass much. Is it me or does that sound like a crock of shit to anyone else?

He also said Clayton was a bust for being a first round pick. I personally think Clayton is a good football player. Granted he is not the number one WR we were all hoping for when we drafted him but I think he is a good number two guy. Would he be a number two on most teams in the NFL? I think so! My asshole buddy doesn't seem to think so.:grbac:

Just wanted to get some peoples thoughts on him and what they think of him.....

Re: Mark Clayton

Hmmm... is Clayton a bust? That word alwyas seems too harsh. Ryan Leaf was a bust, and Jamarcus Russel is certainly shaping up to be one. Clayton has not developed into the caliber of receiver one would expect as a first rounder. He runs hot and cold.

One thing I have noticed about the guy is that he has a bit of alligator arm. Just one alligator arm. He extends one arm out and tries to one hand catch a lot of balls thrown at him. He looks like he is still developing, but at what point do you write him off as a bust? It has to be getting close to that window.

I am not basing my opinion on the dropped pass. It happens. Every receiver drops passes. This one just hurt more because that would have kepth the drive alive, and maybe, just maybe, that drive could have ended in a score.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

I will give you a quick preview.

"He sucks"

"He is a bust"

"Travis Taylor"

"Can't catch"

"Drops balls all the time"

"Waste of a 1st round pick"

"Terrible since he got here"

"Cost us the game"

Tony summed it up pretty well in his grapevine article this week......

http://www.ravens24x7.com/column_vie...2&view=archive

Mark Clayton isn’t a bad player. In fact, he’s a pretty decent one who could have an above average to excellent game on Sunday at M&T against the Bengals. He’s just not a difference maker and it’s unlikely that he ever will be.

The trouble with Clayton in the Ravens’ offense is that he’s not a very complimentary player to Derrick Mason. They are far too much alike. Their respective skill sets point to the same position on the field – that of the Z receiver. Z receivers typically line up behind the line of scrimmage in part to avoid being jammed by defenders. Given their size and change of direction skills “Z” is the right fit for both.

But you can’t have two Z’s so therefore one plays the “X” receiver. The X is positioned on the line at the snap and that lends itself to a more physical receiver than Clayton or Mason, a burner or both – someone whose physical attributes are respected enough by defenders that the defender is hesitant to apply a jam at the line.

Perhaps Kelley Washington would be a better compliment to Mason.

That said Clayton has value to the team particularly if this is Mason’s last season. Clayton would be the perfect replacement for a retiring Mason although it remains to be seen whether or not Clayton has the toughness to challenge defenders between the hash marks the way Mason does.
    Last edited by 52decleetzu; 10-10-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Jesus...Clayton's drop in the 4th quarter didn't lose the game. Who knows if we would have even would have gotten a touchdown after his catch? I think there was a high probability but not a guarantee. There were plenty of mistakes to go around.

Although he probably hasn't lived up to a #1 pick, that doesn't mean he is a bad player.

Let's leave the guy alone and root for him to bounce back this week. I will 100% guarantee you that no one feels worse about that drop then Clayton. That includes everyone on this board.

Better than Travis Taylor or Patrick Johnson; not as good as Michael Jackson or Derrick Alexander.

Your buddy should take a deep breath.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Especially with our pronounced use of 3 WR sets compared to years past, perhaps putting KW on the outside and Clayton in the slot would help both of them out.

Quote Originally Posted by WxKevin View Post
    Jesus...Clayton's drop in the 4th quarter didn't lose the game.
    It certainly didn't help. The unfortunate thing for Mark is that his mistake came at the worst time. I agree though, let's build him up and move on. The only reason I'm pissed at him is because he made all of the "we need a number one wideout" folks come out of the wood works...

Here is the original thread.

Here is the redux thread.

I've gone back and forth on this, but here's the ten second recap...

1) Clayton isn't a bust in anything other than a black-and-white sense of the word. He's a mediocre player, but the term "bust" should be reserved for guys drafted in the first round that are completely useless. JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Tony Mandarich...those are busts. Clayton doesn't come close to that.

2) Clayton isn't a good player. He's not even an "average" player. I went into great detail about that in the original thread.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

Clayton isn't a number one. He's a number two and being a first round pick we expect more from him. He can be a solid contributor and at times can be explosive, he also has a different skillset that allows him to be a part of gadget plays.

Yeah he dropped a ball between the numbers, but he's also capable of the odd spectacular play. He's not a bust, he's just not what everyone thought he'd be.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    Clayton isn't a number one. He's a number two
    No he's not. At least, he shouldn't be.

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com

Funny thing is had he made the catch everyone who be singing his praises but he had a key drop and now hes outcasted. Yes it did suck and you need to make those catches but how do you think he feels? He just let an entire team down. Now if he makes a game wining play all will be forgotten. Football is football. Not every WR will catch every ball. Clayton rarely drops the ball. Just so happens it happened at a key time.

Quote Originally Posted by PSMD410 View Post
    Funny thing is had he made the catch everyone who be singing his praises but he had a key drop and now hes outcasted. Yes it did suck and you need to make those catches but how do you think he feels? He just let an entire team down. Now if he makes a game wining play all will be forgotten. Football is football. Not every WR will catch every ball. Clayton rarely drops the ball. Just so happens it happened at a key time.
    First off, that's sort of the point. If you're good, you make catches at key times. If you're not, you drop them. There's a gigantic difference between a guy that can make a 40 yard field goal, and a guy that can make a 40 yard field goal with 0:08 left and down by two points. Talk to Al Del Greco and Adam Vinatieri about the two.

Second thing is, no one would be singing any praises for him. He was a complete non-factor in the game till the final drive, and had a very mediocre game even if he did catch that ball. Unless he catches the ball in the end zone to score the winning TD after that 4th down, no one here sings his praises; we just don't bash him incessantly.

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com