Who HAS to and who WILL step it up if Gaither can't go?

The good news is that Gaither is healthy and the injury was not serious. that is by far the most important thing here.

My next question is who HAS to step up and who WILL step up in he cannot play?

I have not seen many Bengals games so I cannot comment on their defense, I know they have a DE Odem who is playing well. Who will be blocking him?

The good thing is we may be able to Double Cover him as the Bengals do not have many other weapons in the front 7 who rush the passer.

I assume we move Oher to LT and have Yanda play RT, but Since Odem is a inside rusher will Chester be able to handle him or will Yanda assist?

What are your thoughts?

Re: Who HAS to and who WILL step it up if Gaither can't go?

Yanda will likely be switched with Oher again.

But it shouldn't be too big of a deal because I'm thinking we run the rock at least 30 times Sunday.

Plus, last year with OL questions Cam wasn't afraid to run lots of protection. My guess is he'll do the same with Odem this year.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

4. Re: Who HAS to and who WILL step it up if Gaither can't go?

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Plus, last year with OL questions Cam wasn't afraid to run lots of protection. My guess is he'll do the same with Odem this year.

- C -
    First off, it's O-d-O-m. Antwan Odom.

Second off, Odom has had a terrific year thus far, but over half of his sacks (5) came in a game against Green Bay after their starting LT (who is miserable) was hurt and left the game. He abused their backup Tackle for 5 sacks, but has just one in his past two games against PIT and CLE. I', not going to say this guy isn't good, but his sack total is incredibly inflated because of that Green Bay game, when everyone is going to get multiple sacks against those scrub OT's.

Oher should be able to handle him for the most part, I am more scared about all of those WR's than I am about Odom.

EDIT: He had two against DEN (Clady?), and one against CLE (Joe Thomas), so he has done well against solid competition, but I don't see him as that much of a game-breaker against normal competition.

Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    Yanda will likely be switched with Oher again.

But it shouldn't be too big of a deal because I'm thinking we run the rock at least 30 times Sunday.
    I agree.
    I think they covered very well for an in-game situation. With notice, they could possibly be even better. Better still, it looks like Gaither should be able to play, so again we have the 6 deep crew.
    I disagree with Preston, I think Oher should and will be moving back to RT. Gaither is the better option on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    EDIT: He had two against DEN (Clady?), and one against CLE (Joe Thomas), so he has done well against solid competition, but I don't see him as that much of a game-breaker against normal competition.
    Come on dude... Clady and Thomas are two of the best LTs in the game. This dude has been absolutely abusing average to bad tackles and is still beating the top of the food chain. Oher's good, but he's young and he's raw and he's frankly nowhere near the Thomas/Clady level yet in his pass blocking.

The dude needs some help against OdOOOOOm. If we don't give it to him, we're simply fooling ourselves.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

I am not sure if the Bengals run a 3-4 or a 4-3.

Asuming the Bengals only rush 4 or 5 then there will be 2 blockers to cover odom. Their DTs do not worry me nor do their LBs up the middle. Most teams usually double team at least one of the other teams blockers when only rushing 4.

I doubt this will be a game that Cam max protects.

I think as long as we contain Ocho we should be fine. they do not have a TE and Coles/Caldwell/Henry is no TJ who has always killed us. I think when Henry is in they will match Walker on him and put Carr on Caldwell since he is less physical.

Blog Entries

Oher has been and will continue to step it up. Yanda is a great backup at RT, so putting him out there on the right side is not a huge weakness. Cousins will likely be active...ugh. That's a scary thought.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!