Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mattison

Mattison

I was reading the Sun and i read something that bothered me when he discussed the Defensive performance, he keeps stressing the fact that we have to get pressure out of our 4 man front, and that you cant just send the house, which is true but we have to find a balance between the two. Him saying this leads me to believe he doesnt plan on being more aggressive defensively which could come back to hurt us against good passing offenses. We have the Pats coming up and we cannot send perdominately a 4 man front against Tom Brady, I'd also like to see more pressure from a 3-4 front because of unpredictability of where the 4th rusher is coming, this could help because we dont have any great pass rushers except for suggs and pryce to a point, but a few young guys that could be a factor if we are a little more aggressive(Kruger, Barnes, McClain). Im not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill here, just a little concerned and would like to see us be a little more aggressive, what do u guys think?
    Last edited by Carey; 09-25-2009 at 08:55 AM.

Re: Mattison

At this point in the season, I am not overly concerned. Mattison is a competent DC. We have been spoiled by our defense over the past decade or so. If it slips a bit, as it has it is a painfully noticable, but we have an offense that can put up points, and we still have so many solid weapons on defense. Things will balance out. I doubt we will have a number one ranked defense, or maybe not even the number two, but it will be just fine.

In a few weeks from now, if it does not seem to be tightening up, then I will start to be a bit more concerned.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Blog Entries

I've been concerned about our lack of pressure from a 4 man rush since AD left. You need a solid 4 man rush so you don't have to over commit a lot of the time. I'd like to see that improve but as long as Pryce is getting held every other passing play it's going to be tough getting that. Regardless of his age he's still a force.

Am I concerned? Slightly, there's room for improvement on the defense and I think that needs to be made at some point rather than stagnating. On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if it was partly due to players not being completely in on Mattison's style.

I'm concerned that he said 4 man front...

It's pretty clear, we morphed into a straight up, 4-3 defense.

LOw pressure, cover ont he back end, bend but don't break.

Let's hope it works, I don't think that's suited to our personnel.

5. Re: Mattison

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

I think we colapse the pocket just fine...Suggs needs to get loose, but him being in a boot for those few weeks, it may take him another game to get back into his rythm...We were a 4-3 defense when Marvin was here and I think we do have the tackles to clog and push up the middle to flush the QB, but that D-end position needs to get to the QB and get his hands on him...I can't wait to see what Kruger can do once he gets in there
    The Chargers mass-protected, at least it seemed like it to me, against us most of the time and we still got quite a few hurries and hits on Rivers....Gates caught a couple, but he didn't kill us...They had a good game plan against us, but it didn't work:D We had a better one;)

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

I do. We have enough versatility in the DE/ OLBs to line up in a 4-3 or 3-4 with the same players out there and just because one OLB has his hand in the dirt, it does not mean he is going to rush and the other is not.

I just do not think 4 man pressure can work without tighter coverage, but the Giants really got after NE in the SB with 4 tough guys and a bunch of suspects in the secondary that jammed the WRs with no fear becasue they had help inside and over the top.

I do not think you can just play Tampa 2 all day anymore against any team and shut them down. Good TEs and slot WRs can dink and dunk you to death and some of the big time WRs can run right past and over the top of it, good teams will run you right out of it, but it is still a great scheme to use against teams that can not run the ball or tear you up with a TE. Like NE, Indy and Pittsy.

:T2:

Here are my defensive concerns in order....

4) No contribution from TGood/McClain -- We are they in run support? Not Bart Scott level but something. At least JJ appears to have raised the level of his game to compensate

3) Cornerback coverage --- Do not want to see another SD game from the CBs again, although they do need help (1&2)

2) Pressure --- We need to get more pressure around the edges... Our franchise D player, Suggs, has to really have a big year, and I just dont see it yet in the 1st 2 games. And no he isnt double teamed every play.... I hope its rust, so I'll be positive and assume it is. Pryce still gets pressure but does not get the sack b/c he rushes right in the face of the QB. But I do agree that he isnt nearly the level of player he was for us in 2006. We need more from the DT position too from a pass rushing standpoint. Ngata still needs to improve this part of his game. B/c of Ngata, I am afraid that offenses are simply going to totally abandon the run, and pass all the time.

1) and by far my biggest concern...... The play of the safeties. Ed Reed has got to gamble less, period. He exposed our CBs against SD numerous times, by gambling on the wrong route, when he should have helped them out. Ed has gotta understand that with this year's offense, we do not need the D to score in order to win games. I know this is a complete 180 compared to every year Ed has played in, so maybe its tough for him to come grips with. Hopefully, he will comply, but I think Ed's got a little 'I gonna do what I want do' in him. This means expect some big plays against the D to continue. Now Dawan... I do not what to say. I just don't think he is that good of a player. He has very little makeup speed, and gets confused in coverage sometimes. He would be a thumper in run support, but unlike those needs in a typical defensive cover 2 team, our D really does not need that. Honestly, what we need is a safety that truly is that safety value in centerfield. This allows Reed to ballhawk moreso without the risk of deep downfield single CB coverage. Sorry to say, but a Jim Leonhard-esque type safety. Ed and Jim had very good communication last year. Dawan and Ed's communication, I hope, will get better. Seriously it better get better than the SD game.

Blog Entries

I just hope Mattison watches the tape and sees Offenses and there weaknesses and goes after them. Now Brady might bounce back from the Jets but he was not comfortable at all in the pocket and he is not a roll out kind of QB and he is not going to stand in there and take to many hits, neither will scared ass Peyton Manning (let me just hit the ground before I get hit). So if that is were they are weak I hope we attack. Because Rex-Jets but the heat on Brady and he looked like ass. Manning caught a break against a sub-par Defense in Miami because Porter had him shocked a few times

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Here are my defensive concerns in order....

4) No contribution from TGood/McClain -- We are they in run support? Not Bart Scott level but something. At least JJ appears to have raised the level of his game to compensate

3) Cornerback coverage --- Do not want to see another SD game from the CBs again, although they do need help (1&2)

2) Pressure --- We need to get more pressure around the edges... Our franchise D player, Suggs, has to really have a big year, and I just dont see it yet in the 1st 2 games. And no he isnt double teamed every play.... I hope its rust, so I'll be positive and assume it is. Pryce still gets pressure but does not get the sack b/c he rushes right in the face of the QB. But I do agree that he isnt nearly the level of player he was for us in 2006. We need more from the DT position too from a pass rushing standpoint. Ngata still needs to improve this part of his game. B/c of Ngata, I am afraid that offenses are simply going to totally abandon the run, and pass all the time.

1) and by far my biggest concern...... The play of the safeties. Ed Reed has got to gamble less, period. He exposed our CBs against SD numerous times, by gambling on the wrong route, when he should have helped them out. Ed has gotta understand that with this year's offense, we do not need the D to score in order to win games. I know this is a complete 180 compared to every year Ed has played in, so maybe its tough for him to come grips with. Hopefully, he will comply, but I think Ed's got a little 'I gonna do what I want do' in him. This means expect some big plays against the D to continue. Now Dawan... I do not what to say. I just don't think he is that good of a player. He has very little makeup speed, and gets confused in coverage sometimes. He would be a thumper in run support, but unlike those needs in a typical defensive cover 2 team, our D really does not need that. Honestly, what we need is a safety that truly is that safety value in centerfield. This allows Reed to ballhawk moreso without the risk of deep downfield single CB coverage. Sorry to say, but a Jim Leonhard-esque type safety. Ed and Jim had very good communication last year. Dawan and Ed's communication, I hope, will get better. Seriously it better get better than the SD game.
    I do not know about replacing Landry, although I would not mind going with Reed at SS and Nakumura at FS in some obvious passing situations.

Landry has good speed and size and as long as he can stay deep should be there to break up and even pick off a lot of those over the top throws.

:T2:

I have a lot of the same concerns as other posters...but I would have to think that we are kinda holding back a little....we are not showing other teams everything yet. Playing very vanilla as some have said. Maybe we are waiting for the Pat's game or maybe even the Steelers game to unleash hell or a more complex Defensive scheme.

Just a thought...
    Season Ticket Holder Since 1996 Sec 545

Funny how people are complaning about Reed after 2 games, kind of reminds me of last year at about this time.

We all saw how that turned out.

I know it is hard to imagine but there are games where Reed...

-will not get an interception.
    -might blow a coverage
    -will not score from the back of one endzone to the other.

Blog Entries

That 4-3 look is a concern to me also.
    I don't mind 4 rushers, what I do mind is the same 4 over and over.
    And I think that is our concern with 4-3

Do we have the personell?

Barnes has to show me he can deal effectively with contact, he is too easily neutralized.

McClain and Gooden have to improve in Pass coverage. Too easy if a team knows McClain is coming instead of covering.

JJ has improved tons, but I still see him as limited in coverage. He can be very effective limited areas of coverage, but I can't see him holding up if expanded to a larger area. I see BA as a smaller version of JJ.

Ray is slower than when he got here. Not knocking him at all, but the blitz... chasing Rivers and forcing a great catch int by Landry was nice, but Ray would have had a sack years ago.

With Rex, the 4 on the line were not guarenteed to be the 4 coming. I can picture 3 coming from an overload and one of the 4 dropping into coverage.
    Haven't seem much if any of that this year.
    Hopefully it is just being held in reserve until needed but I'm having trouble seeing how we can produce the CHAOS that we hit Manning with.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old