The 411 on the Burgess Trade/TE Curtis acquisition

RAVENS MAKE TRADE; ADD TE CURTIS TO ROSTER

The Baltimore Ravens traded LB Prescott Burgess to the New England Patriots in exchange for a conditional seventh-round pick, general manager/executive vice president Ozzie Newsome announced Tuesday afternoon.

Baltimore filled the open spot on its 53-man roster by signing TE Tony Curtis, a three-year veteran who was released by the Philadelphia Eagles in their final cuts following the preseason.

The 6-5, 251-pound Curtis has played in 36 career games (six starts), compiling 11 catches for 50 yards and three touchdowns. Out of Portland State, Curtis originally signed as a rookie free agent with the Dallas Cowboys in 2005.

Curtis saw action in all 16 games with the Cowboys during the 2007 and 2008 campaigns. In 2007, all three of his catches earned touchdowns (totaling 18 yards). Last season, he tallied 32 yards on eight receptions.

Re: The 411 on the Burgess Trade/TE Curtis acquisition

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    RAVENS MAKE TRADE; ADD TE CURTIS TO ROSTER

The Baltimore Ravens traded LB Prescott Burgess to the New England Patriots in exchange for a conditional seventh-round pick, general manager/executive vice president Ozzie Newsome announced Tuesday afternoon.

Baltimore filled the open spot on its 53-man roster by signing TE Tony Curtis, a three-year veteran who was released by the Philadelphia Eagles in their final cuts following the preseason.

The 6-5, 251-pound Curtis has played in 36 career games (six starts), compiling 11 catches for 50 yards and three touchdowns. Out of Portland State, Curtis originally signed as a rookie free agent with the Dallas Cowboys in 2005.

Curtis saw action in all 16 games with the Cowboys during the 2007 and 2008 campaigns. In 2007, all three of his catches earned touchdowns (totaling 18 yards). Last season, he tallied 32 yards on eight receptions.
    I understand this is kind of a "it is what it is" situation, but what does he bring to the Ravens besides the obvious? I am hoping he is an accomplished blocker (due to his lack of receptions)...

Quote Originally Posted by CRZA938 View Post
    I understand this is kind of a "it is what it is" situation, but what does he bring to the Ravens besides the obvious? I am hoping he is an accomplished blocker (due to his lack of receptions)...
    That's pretty much the book on him. Adequate pass catcher, well above average blocker. We needed this.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    That's pretty much the book on him. Adequate pass catcher, well above average blocker. We needed this.
    You've definately been up on this guy. So the question is, does he play above LJ, or is he just a blocking TE that we use in Max or runs?

I guess he will be added for special teams as well, also, might signal that LJ Smith is not progressing with his hamstring very well. Not sure I like trading a player to the Pats, 2 weeks before we play them however, do we need to give Belicheck any more info on the Ravens than already will see in gametape. Wonder what kind of blocker Curtis is?

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Yeah, I think it has been 2 years in a row that Oz was going to take a blocking TE, and wound up having the team right before him draft the guy he wanted. Last year it was Craig Stevens who Tennessee took right before us in the 3rd, and this year it was Anthony Hill taken by Houston in the 4th.

Considering we have no TE's that are strong blockers first, I think this is a solid move.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    You've definately been up on this guy. So the question is, does he play above LJ, or is he just a blocking TE that we use in Max or runs?
    I would imagine so, particularly since Heap has looked a bit more youthful then last year...

Though, I'm not sure it is really one playing before the other as it is, that they are players that offset each other. I would assume they would be chosen based on what Cam wanted from the position on that particular play...

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Yeah, I think it has been 2 years in a row that Oz was going to take a blocking TE, and wound up having the team right before him draft the guy he wanted. Last year it was Craig Stevens who Tennessee took right before us in the 3rd, and this year it was Anthony Hill taken by Houston in the 4th.

Considering we have no TE's that are strong blockers first, I think this is a solid move.
    Not too mention that they were attempting to move up for Pettigrew when they had the fall back option of Oher... what a great falback.

Stephens and Hill both really pissed me off to miss out on. Zbikowski was a HUGE step down. Hill was my last TE I liked in the whole draft, since Richard Quinn was taken very early.

curtis is this year's version of quinn sypnewski (sp?) THE blocking TE Cam needs so as to let Heap do what he has been doing the last 2 weeks (and the first few years of his career). I said last year that Heaps season was sh*t statistically cuz he was the best blocking TE we had, and that is how Cam saw fit to use him.
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

Blog Entries

i hope curtis is a good blocker. we need a blocking te as other posters mentioned.