GREAT article about "the play" from Michael Silver

I know there are 3 other Ray threads but I don't care this piece deserved another one.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Instinctive Lewis short circuits Chargers’ rally

SAN DIEGO – Sometimes, one play is all it takes to reveal everything essential about a team, its best player and his legacy. Sometimes, in the ultimate team sport, it can be done by one.

On a gorgeous mid-September Sunday, two AFC contenders waged a spirited battle for three hours and 14 minutes, and all that mattered was one man’s two-second burst of brilliance that some witnesses will be talking about for decades

The setup was delicious: The San Diego Chargers trailed the Baltimore Ravens by five points with 37 seconds remaining at Qualcomm Stadium, and quarterback Philip Rivers(notes), who had thrown for a career-best 436 yards, brought his team up to the line of scrimmage. It was fourth-and-2 from the Ravens’ 15-yard line, and Baltim.ore middle linebacker Ray Lewis(notes) could scarcely contain his excitement.

Rivers took the snap and prepared to hand the ball to the shortest and quickest man on the field: 5-foot-6 scatback Darren Sproles(notes). Lewis, the greatest defensive player of his generation, knew exactly what had to be done.

“I’m thinking, ‘Snap the ball. Snap the ball,’ ” the future Hall of Famer said. “There’s a backside A-gap, and I promise I’m gonna shoot it. He was sitting out there, and I’m like, I’m gonna kill this dude.”

Metaphorically, in one determined act of audacity, Lewis extinguished Sproles, the Chargers and the notion that, at 34, he’s no longer at the peak of his powers. Though Lewis may have generated less heat than expected on the free-agent market before re-signing with the Ravens in March, he proved Sunday he’s still their most valuable player, end of conversation........
    Much more click the link....

Re: GREAT article about "the play" from Michael Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    I know there are 3 other Ray threads but I don't care this piece deserved another one.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Much more click the link....
    You love new threads, huh? This article is also posted in 2 of the 3 other Ray threads. :D

But yeah, sick article, sick player.
    Lewis, the greatest defensive player of his generation...