Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is McGahee now starting RB?

I think he is. I love Ray Rice catching the swing pass but I love Mcgahee more running hard between the tackles. He just seems to be better at getting sideways and is "slipperier" than Rice"

I believe Harbaugh sent a strong message during training camp by starting Rice but I bet McGahee is starting, if not this week, very soon.

Re: Is McGahee now starting RB?

I dont think it really matters who is labeled the "starting RB". We have three talented backs with different styles of running. Rice is a slasher, Leron is a bruiser and McGahee is a bit of both. They will continue to split carries and keep feeding the hot hand.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

3. Re: Is McGahee now starting RB?

whoever has the hot hand. yesterday, that was willis. it really doesn't matter.

Agreed, I don't think it really matter who is the "Starter." They share the load and willis is probably better for grinding it out for 4-5 yards right now. Rice is going to give you the spark play every now and then. And McClain is going to get you the 1-2 yards whenever you need it.

Blog Entries

they are each carving out a niche for themselves.

Rice looks really good for the screens and checkdowns. He's not a bad runner, but he has a tough time getting the tough yards

McClain is definitley the physical, pound the rock back. If we need a hard 1-2 yards, blast McClain up the middle. Also can be good in open field passes.

McGahee is just showing good hard running, definitley the "workhorse" back.

I say keep the 3 headed monster going.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

It's less that it doesn't matter and more that it's not gonna change. Who cares who the on-paper starter is. McGahee is gonna get carries and Rice will get tosses and both will play an important role in the offense. As long as they keep producing, that's enough for me.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Yes I understand the whole 3-headed monster thing but has McGahee earned his #1 back status again?

My thinking is that for a guy who appeared to be Mr. sour grapes for the last year and a half, he has really turned his attitude around as well as his game. As a result does he get to be the featured back in a strong three back offense again? Will he be seen across the NFL as the ravens starting back?

Why does that matter, even a little bit?

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post

- C -
    This is probably a good time for you to try skipping a thread since you are missing the point.

Its about a guys attitude that has shown dramatic change. As a team, I think you reward that...the question is when? This is an opportunity for Harbaugh and Cam to build team. You can't tell me that these guys don't take great pride in being the feature guy at a position - although they won't say it out loud. Its about creating competition and driving all three backs to work harder by rewarding production.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post

- C -
    Umm, it doesn't matter.

I know Chargers fans were equally afraid of all our backs yesterday. One dude in particular kept screaming: "Can't we fucking stop any of them?!!!"

Blog Entries

it's hard...because I think not being the starting RB puts a bit of a chip on McGahee's shoulder, so he's working extra hard to prove he can do it.

The question is, if you give it back...how long before he softens up?

Or, if you give it to McGahee, does Rice get a chip on his shoulder for losing the spot and HE plays even harder?

This is why John Harbaugh is the HC, and not me!
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Based on his needing to come out of the game after two successive runs, and his inability to get yards late in the 4th quarter when it counted, he should remain one of three RB's.