Left Tackle vs Right Tackle

After reading the other thread talking about left/right tackle debate I remembered a blog entry I stumbled upon during training camp that was fantastic.

Somewhere in my internet travels I found the blog for Texans right tackle Eric Winston, who made the switch like Oher did to the right side after playing left his whole life.

He gives probably one of the best summaries I have ever read of the differences between both sides, and what the transition is like. This is a very good explanation of some of the X's and O's, and what the responsibilities are on the right side and the "mentality" that you need over there vs the left side. Good read from a player's perspective.

http://www.ericwinston73.com/blog.html

Left Tackle vs Right Tackle

So my friend has finally won out, this blog will be about the differences between Right Tackle and Left Tackle. It’s probably good that I am talking about this topic because there are many common misconceptions about the position. I’m not sure how to do this so I will answer typical statements I hear.

Left Tackles are more athletic.

For the most part, yes. Left Tackles are commonly your more athletic, less physical former basketball player or all-around athlete. Right Tackles might not be as athletic but they are more physical, tougher players. Right Tackles are asked to “open up” holes by moving the defensive player while Left Tackles “cover” their guy up by getting in front of the defender but don’t get as much movement.

Right Tackles are the better run blockers because teams are right handed and run right more than left.

Again, for the most part, yes. I don’t have the exact numbers but I’m pretty sure we ran right more than left last year. However, in our zone scheme the play side can be the backside quite a few times because of so many cutbacks the back is offered by good cutoff blocks on the backside.

Right Tackles don’t have to be as good at pass blocking because they get more help than the left tackle.

Absolutely wrong. The only time this is true is during most play-action passes, especially when the tight end is next to the Right Tackle. Think about it, if a team runs right more, then a team is going to play action to that side as well, therefore the tight end does stay in and block some of those times. To me, one of the hardest blocks to make is when you are to the open side (no TE next to you) and the play-action fake is coming your way.

Think about selling out at a defensive end on a play-action pass hoping that he reads it as run and doesn’t blow by you up the field. It is a block that takes a ton of practice and self confidence. An old vet used to tell me, “if you believe, he’ll believe” and he was exactly right. (Thanks Ephraim.) Generally speaking, the backside of the play-action pass is harder, giving the Left Tackle the most stress.

…and on drop backs, too.

This fluctuates from team to team. I have had games where I have gotten no help, meaning that the center floats toward one guard, and that guard can in turn help the tackle. On drop backs, when the center isn’t coming your way, you are on an island, all alone, you vs. the DE. Other games the help goes back and forth, and every once in a blue moon, I’ll get more help. (Maybe once or twice in my career.)

Right ends are better pass rushers than left ends.

This one really fluctuates from year to year. I will say the majority of teams set up this way but not as many as people think. In our division, it definitely sets up this way. I would say it is a coin toss between Titans Javon Kearse and Kyle Vandenbosch, they are both equally good in my opinion.

The Colts have Freeney and Mathis, both very good, but Freeney is in a league of his own, and the Jaguars have Paul Spicer and two rookies who will be good as the years go on. We face those guys twice a year. The rest depends on our non-division schedule. I remember my first year, out of the nine games I started, six or seven of the left ends were the better on their teams. (Remember, left ends go over the Right Tackle and right ends go over the Left Tackle).

Can you play both?

Sure, but it is hard. I played Left Tackle all through college and then switched when I got to the Texans. I was switched because my arm length is not considered prototypical for a left tackle. I have normal length human arms, the NFL doesn't want normal length, they want extra long. Long arms allows the tackle to hit the defender in pass protection before they can hit you. If you are wondering, I understand what they are saying, but I never have had a problem getting my hands on defenders. Now that I have made the switch, I am glad to be playing Right Tackle.

It fits my demeanor more and I have become every bit as comfortable as I ever was on the left. But it was a hard rookie year, you basically have to do the exact opposite with each foot and hand from one side to the other. On the Right you kick with your left foot, on the Left you kick with the right foot. On the Right your outside punch hand is your right and on the Left your outside punch hand is your left. You get the picture where this is going. This why good swing tackles (backups that play both) are paid well and needed desperately for depth.

In conclusion, I have really enjoyed playing Right Tackle. Going into my fourth year I am looking forward to being more physical at the point of attack, cutting off the backside, and pass blocking like a Left Tackle … but we know better than that, don’t we?
    Anyway I thought it was very infomative for all those who want to know the difference. I know I learned a few things.
    Last edited by 52decleetzu; 09-18-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Re: Left Tackle vs Right Tackle

That was definitely an interesting read! Thanks!

Good stuff.

I'm glad he pointed out how its hard to switch.

So many times I hear people say "well, if he can LT, then he can play RT".

Frustrating.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Good stuff.

I'm glad he pointed out how its hard to switch.

So many times I hear people say "well, if he can LT, then he can play RT".

Frustrating.

PP
    Yeah and that is what makes Oher's play this early even more amazing.

He made the transition seemingly overnight, that is just talent right there and nothing else.

Good find. I like any thing that brings more attention to the trenches and explains teh suble things that are easy to miss.

The one thing about selling the fakes was great. The players like Ray and Reed can spot run vs pass before the snap if you tip your hand with your stance or first step.

:T2:

Blog Entries

Nice post!

And to take what Jeremiah said a little further, a LT can set up perfectly to play fake run block, and still look like a jackass because Ray or Ed spotted the LG next to him tipping the play. Hard to convince fans you did everything right when your man just creamed the QB
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Excellent piece, 52. It's always worth linking insightful stuff like this.