Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

High Praise for Chris Chester

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...tory?track=rss

. But the 6-foot-3, 315-pound Chester might be the team's most versatile and athletic blocker, coaches say, and he'll likely play a big role this year for an offense that grows more formidable each week. Many of Rice's most effective runs against the Chiefs were to the side anchored by Chester and rookie tackle Michael Oher.

"Chris' strength is that he has no weaknesses," Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron said. "I don't know that I've ever said that about a player before. But it's true. He's a good run blocker. A good pass protector. He can pull both ways, which most guys can't do. He can play right guard, left guard and center. He can even play tight end in some packages for us. I think in a bind, we could probably play him at tackle. And honestly, he's only going to get better."

Cameron considers Chester a perfect example of a philosophy that he and coach John Harbaugh reference repeatedly: The Raven Way.

"The Raven Way is: Be a football player. Be someone who can do multiple things and give us some options when people start getting hurt," Cameron said. "It's the same philosophy we have defensively. That's why those guys can do all those different things. Very seldom can a guy do just one thing and be active for us. Maybe the starting quarterback, but that's it."
    I remember all the scuttlebutt from a couple years ago about Chester when he struggled initially, but now it looks like he has finally got his "man" body and has developed just like the Ravens thought he would into our most versatile linemen.

When he was drafted he struggled to crack 300lbs and got pushed around a lot and most thought "Oh no another 2nd round bust" but he was a project that has turned out great. Now he is at a solid 315 and is clearly impressing the coaches with his flexibility and progress.

I am just wondering now how we are going to keep all of these guys on the Oline, it is going to be impossible to sign them all. It is like overnight we have gone from it being a weakness to having a TON of talent in that group and not knowing what to do with it all.

Chester migght be one of those guys that has a lot of interest from teams because of all the things he can do, would not be surprised if we lose him eventually.

2. Re: High Praise for Chris Chester

that's the nature of the beast when we draft as much talent as we do. jason brown is a prime example and the fact is that deep, championship teams just can't afford to pay interior linemen 8M/year. we are getting EXCELLENT production out of 2nd-4th rounders on the OL, and the effort that our OL coaching staff puts into these guys should not be overlooked. oher is a guy that i could see us possibly not being able to hang on to after he plays out his rookie contract. we can't pay a right tackle elite money if we end up paying our LT around the same. it sucks, but it's what happens to teams that draft well. more will come.

3. Re: High Praise for Chris Chester

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    that's the nature of the beast when we draft as much talent as we do. jason brown is a prime example and the fact is that deep, championship teams just can't afford to pay interior linemen 8M/year. we are getting EXCELLENT production out of 2nd-4th rounders on the OL, and the effort that our OL coaching staff puts into these guys should not be overlooked. oher is a guy that i could see us possibly not being able to hang on to after he plays out his rookie contract. we can't pay a right tackle elite money if we end up paying our LT around the same. it sucks, but it's what happens to teams that draft well. more will come.
    We will dump Gaither before we dump Oher...Oher is originally a LT;) Oher was a HIGH draft choice and Gaither came from the supplimental draft:o

Re: High Praise for Chris Chester

Quote Originally Posted by Tspot-D-Ravenator View Post
    We will dump Gaither before we dump Oher...Oher is originally a LT;) Oher was a HIGH draft choice and Gaither came from the supplimental draft:o
    Neither are going anywhere.

Chester is a backup guard not starting tackle big difference, we can afford to lose him.

I know I was skeptical of Chester and he has improved dramatically.

His blocking on the McGahee TD in Dallas last year was a thing of beauty.

Remember all those years of horrible OL play? Those days are gone.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by Tspot-D-Ravenator View Post
    Would anyone be shocked if Oher and Gaither switch places at some point in their Raven's careers? Oher is clearly the better pass blocker, and Gaither is an absolute monster in the run game... We could run off that right side with Gaither and Yanda all day long. Plus that would let Oher get back to protecting the blind side.
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by effo5231 View Post
    Would anyone be shocked if Oher and Gaither switch places at some point in their Raven's careers? Oher is clearly the better pass blocker, and Gaither is an absolute monster in the run game... We could run off that right side with Gaither and Yanda all day long. Plus that would let Oher get back to protecting the blind side.
    I would be very surprised, yes.

Gaither has a LT's size. Oher is a very physical mauler, but by no means of typical size for a LT. I'm not sure the ravens will be able to come to terms with Gaither, but if they do, the Ravens will keep both right where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    I know I was skeptical of Chester and he has improved dramatically.

His blocking on the McGahee TD in Dallas last year was a thing of beauty.

Remember all those years of horrible OL play? Those days are gone.

PP
    Those days are gone plus the days of horrible QB play. It's a thing of beauty!

I remember on 3rd and longs you would almost have to look away. Now we are converting them like crazy. What a change a few years can make.

I would.

And by the comparison are you saying Oher is not up to par on his run blocking? If so, I would disagree. I think Oher if the total package.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I would.

And by the comparison are you saying Oher is not up to par on his run blocking? If so, I would disagree. I think Oher if the total package.
    Not saying anything of the sort... I think Oher is significantly better than Gaither is all and thus think it makes more sense for him to play the marquee position on the offensive line.

Gaither meanwhile could be the next Willie Anderson at RT. (In a good way, that guy was a mauler in his prime.)

The whole suggesting was just a thought... Right now I think they're perfect where they are. I just was thinking long term.
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Chester has developed nicely, way better than I and most people thought.

I think Gaither and Oher will be with us for awhile and weather they switch or not who cares, they both are good enough to play either side, IMO.

12. Re: High Praise for Chris Chester

Not saying anything of the sort... I think Oher is significantly better than Gaither is all and thus think it makes more sense for him to play the marquee position on the offensive line.

Gaither meanwhile could be the next Willie Anderson at RT. (In a good way, that guy was a mauler in his prime.)

The whole suggesting was just a thought... Right now I think they're perfect where they are. I just was thinking long term.
    i think there were some doubts about oher's length (t-rex arms) for LT. i just don't know if i see ozzie giving gaither the massive contract he will probably want when we have oher here also. and if it comes to it down the road and we did lock up gaither for a ton of money, i'm not sure i see him giving elite money to oher at RT. it doesn't seem like an ozzie move, but i sure as hell hope we keep both of them for many years to come.