Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OT- Cal Carried Away

From the Sun...

The large statue of Cal Ripken Jr.'s No. 8 was stolen overnight from in front of the Camden Yards baseball stadium, and Baltimore police said they have arrested four men who were spotted driving with the statue in the open bed of a pickup truck on a downtown street.

Three men from Baltimore County and one from the city were being processed Wednesday at Central Booking on charges of theft and destruction of property, according to police. They were identified as: Matthew Rayner, 20, of Essex; Jason Stone Buner, 19, of Essex; Patrick Reynolds, 18, of Essex; and Gary Parker, 19, of Southeast Baltimore.

Police recovered the statue, which had been installed in 2001 near the park's Eutaw Street entrance as a tribute to the star player and city legend.

Baltimore police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said the theft was called in at 10:47 p.m. as a report of stolen property. It was not immediately clear who called in the report, but officers from the Central and Southeast districts responded and found the statue had been ripped off its base.

Guglielmi said the aluminum statue is "lighter than it appears" because it is hollow inside. "It was ripped off its mount," he said.

Police discovered that the theft had been captured on surveillance video and a lookout was broadcast for a pickup truck. About an hour later, police responded to a call for men acting disorderly at Lombard and Elwood streets in East Baltimore. When officers arrived, Guglielmi said they saw the pickup truck and the No. 8 statue in the back.

"They saw the big No. 8 and knew that was the property," Guglielmi said.

Police could not immediately say whether the statue was damaged.

Re: OT- Cal Carried Away

They obviously had to be completely hammered...otherwise, there's no reason they'd want to steal the 8. Its not like the big hunk of aluminum would sell for much.
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

It is amazing such a well thought out theft didn't pan out.

What a bunch of dumb asses.

Funny story.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

3 guys from Essex. My hometown represented well!

I wish they would have stolen the stupid Babe Ruth statue. That thing needs to go away.
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pyite32 View Post
    I wish they would have stolen the stupid Babe Ruth statue. That thing needs to go away.
    I couldn't agree more. I would have cut his head off years ago if I knew how to opperate a torch.

Why? Babe was born blocks from where the stadium is now and got his start with the minor league Orioles. So because he is famous as a Yankee we should forget that he's a Baltimore native?

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Why? Babe was born blocks from where the stadium is now and got his start with the minor league Orioles. So because he is famous as a Yankee we should forget that he's a Baltimore native?
    I wish he wasn't from Baltimore. It's a slap in the face to see that statue everytime I walk into the stadium. They're honoring a Yankee and all of their fans. It's like a welcome mat for all of those bastards that come into our town.

Exactly, he is famous as a Yankee. Who cares where he was born, is that an accomplishment that should be celebrated by the city?

Wow, someone got pregnant and had a baby in Baltimore (there should be statues all over the place).

So what if he went off to do great things in another city. Especially when it is one of our division rivals.
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Exactly, he is famous as a Yankee. Who cares where he was born, is that an accomplishment that should be celebrated by the city?

Wow, someone got pregnant and had a baby in Baltimore (there should be statues all over the place).

So what if he went off to do great things in another city. Especially when it is one of our division rivals.
    Kind of ironic for a guy who has Edgar Allan Poe as his avatar to say that. Why do we celebrate Poe or have our team named the Ravens? Poe only died here in the streets as a drunk, right?