Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Billick...yea or nay?

Bringing up Billicks name pushes a lot of hot buttons. Here is a simple question that I would like to see people vote on.

Knowing everything we currently know....Billick's regular season record, play-off record, Super Bowl win, drafting and 5 year run with Kyle Boller as QB, decision to cut ties with Dilfer and bringing in Elvis, handling of players in the locker room, decision to not go with Cunningham in the 2001 play-offs against the Steelers, everything...

Would you rather have Billick as Head Coach of the Ravens or would you rather have a second year HC in Harbaugh?

Re: Billick...yea or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenjohn2000 View Post
    Bringing up Billicks name pushes a lot of hot buttons. Here is a simple question that I would like to see people vote on.

Knowing everything we currently know....Billick's regular season record, play-off record, Super Bowl win, drafting and 5 year run with Kyle Boller as QB, decision to cut ties with Dilfer and bringing in Elvis, handling of players in the locker room, decision to not go with Cunningham in the 2001 play-offs against the Steelers, everything...

Would you rather have Billick as Head Coach of the Ravens or would you rather have a second year HC in Harbaugh?
    LOL.

So now Billick drafted Boller, cut Dilfer, and signed Grbac?

I guess Ozzie was asleep or out of town when those major decisions were made huh?

I get it. Billick was responsible for everything that went wrong here but not responsible for winning a SB and winning more than he lost.

PP

I will take our 2nd year coach ANY day over Billick.
    Billick was a players coach and a great motivator / manager.

But he could not run an offense and sucked on game day for years.

FM

What an awesome thread this is. I guess when you make a post in another thread and you get rebuffed by more people than you thought, you have to start one of these.

Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    LOL.

I guess Ozzie was asleep or out of town when those major decisions were made huh?

I get it. Billick was responsible for everything that went wrong here but not responsible for winning a SB and winning more than he lost.

PP
    Poe,

I am sure Billick played some role in bringing in Elvis and even a larger role in drafting Boller. I have simply asked a question to get a good feel for what people think. You stated that most of the fans you know liked Billick which may or may not be true.

Why post a comment but avoid answering the question? I could be wrong but I think that most people will choose Harbaugh, a second year coach over Billick. And if that is the case, then it proves to me that people don't love and respect Billick as much as you think they do.

After all, why would someone choose a second year coach before a SB winning coach who has had such great sucess?

Blog Entries

I'd still take Harbaugh...I think his fresh ideas and attitude have done wonders for this team. Billick was a great coach, but his approach had gotten stale.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Ozzie pulled the trigger, but you really don't think Billick had any input or say in Ozzie's ear about those decisions?

He also condescendingly told the fan base to take a "leap of faith" on his confidence in Scott Mitchell too.

Billick did good things, but also had his faults. Just like any coach. To answer the question, I like where we are now with Harbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenjohn2000 View Post
    Poe,

I am sure Billick played some role in bringing in Elvis and even a larger role in drafting Boller. I have simply asked a question to get a good feel for what people think. You stated that most of the fans you know liked Billick which may or may not be true.

Why post a comment but avoid answering the question? I could be wrong but I think that most people will choose Harbaugh, a second year coach over Billick. And if that is the case, then it proves to me that people don't love and respect Billick as much as you think they do.

After all, why would someone choose a second year coach before a SB winning coach who has had such great sucess?
    And you don't see why making such a comparison is extremely premature has no merit?

Many people who liked Billick also like Harbaugh. Many appreciate what Billick did and were ready for a change.

However, your insistence to bury Billick is transparent and extremely petty. You ignored my response to you in another thread so you start this garbage.

I want Harbaugh NOW over Billick. It's a different team. It's a different era for the franchise.

But when people like you fan flames and make unsubstantiated claims, I'll respond. Ozzie Newsome is responsible for the players you see on the field. Do you think he let Billick decide to let a Super Bowl winning QB go and ink Grbac to a 30 million dollar deal. Absolutely not. And he traded to acquire Boller. Ozzie Newsome is the GM of this team and while he should get accolades for his great moves, his bad ones cannot just be brushed aside.

Your final statement of your post says it all. You obviously cannot stand Billick and will stop at nothing to get that point across. If John Harbaugh can match Billick's numbers, will you call him a failure too?

PP

I am not sure I even understand this topic. What does it mean? Harbaugh is the head coach and everyone seems pretty darn happy with the direction the team is headed. While things are not absolutely textbook perfect, we are all looking forward. Billick is in the rearview mirror. While we have a Superbowl win under his banner, it was time to move on.

I am glad to take have Harbs as the head coach of the Ravens.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Ozzie pulled the trigger, but you really don't think Billick had any input or say in Ozzie's ear about those decisions?

He also condescendingly told the fan base to take a "leap of faith" on his confidence in Scott Mitchell too.

Billick did good things, but also had his faults. Just like any coach. To answer the question, I like where we are now with Harbs.
    Im sure he did. Just as he probably did when they took Jamal Lewis. My point is that it's Ozzie's call in the end and when people point out calls that didn't work out, somehow that falls on Billick.

No doubt Billick had his faults. Again, we're judging a 9 year coaching stint with ups and downs to a one year stint when the team experienced great success.

I too like where we are. Who wouldn't? I'm not some blind Billick disciple or anything. But it's clear what this thread is all about. I think you can clearly see that.

PP

If John Harbaugh can match Billick's numbers, will you call him a failure too?

PP
    To answer your question...If the ravens are year in and year out loaded with talent and are projected to be SB contenders and we win 1 playoff game in 7 years then the answer is yes...he will have failed.

If we, like last year are not expected to be playoff bound and are expected to win 4, 5 or 6 games and we continually make the playoffs or finish at a respectable 8-8, I would say no.

Last year was a pleasant surprise to all of us but now there are expectations. Lets see how he does.....so far so good.

Again, we're judging a 9 year coaching stint with ups and downs to a one year stint when the team experienced great success.
    Agreed, and good point.