Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brandon Marshall for which linebacker!

I saw where ESPN was reporting that any trade talks with the JETS would involve LB David Harris! So I was wondering if you were Ozzie what LB and picks would you give up for him!Or would you even want him!

Re: Brandon Marshall for which linebacker!

Interesting...

Well, with the depth in the LB corps that we have on our team, I think we could do a decent trade to Denver with any of them (even one's that wouldn't start) and maybe kick in a 3rd or 4th.

I've stated before that I don't want Marshall because of his character flaws, but I'm just adding my opinion on what we could give Denver if for some chance Ozzie bites after this news from NY.
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis

I would rather see Boldin! I think he fits the mold of "PLAY LIKE A RAVEN"

NO! I don't want him!!

We have no young stud ILB like Harris in their prime that I am aware of to trade!!

Wink Re: Brandon Marshall for which linebacker!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenFreek View Post
    I saw where ESPN was reporting that any trade talks with the JETS would involve LB David Harris! So I was wondering if you were Ozzie what LB and picks would you give up for him!Or would you even want him!
    Tony Fein! But Marshall comes for a one year deal at present salary! Any extension would be subject to choir boy behavior!

And why all the exclamation points? (!!!)
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

let's just play this game...so Denver wants a LB who can step in and make an impact this year. So you can rule out any rookies right away. Also rule out Ayanbedejo. And for obvious reasons, take Ray and Suggs out of the picture.

Barnes is a possibility, because of his pass rushing ability, but I have to think the pick associated with him would need to be a 1st, no doubt, since he's not really a starter type guy.

Jameel McClain could be another, but again, it's another guy who is a little hard pressed to be a starter, so that pick would need to be pretty high.

Gooden would fit the mold pretty well, I think Gooden and a 2nd could possibly get the talks moving.

I honestly think our best chance would be trading JJ. He's the biggest impact LB that's not a "cornerstone" of the D. He'd probably lower the pick value to a 3rd.

So considering all that, I wouldn't make the deal, even putting aside that I don't want Marshall. Other than Barnes, the other LBs I mentioned are real Raven players and getting rid of them presents a big hit both talent wise and chemistry wise. Filling JJ's spot would be tough, since JJ is supposed to be that quasi-AD type LB, both excelling at the pass rush, while dropping back in coverage. I would think Kruger would potentially fill that role eventually, but for this year, I would say McClain would. Losing Gooden would immediatley thrust McClain into the starting spot as well. But we've seen that McClain has some definite deficiencies in pass coverage, so it'd be a bit rough.

Barnes would be the easiest to replace, since he's really a situational guy, but again, least likely LB that Denver would take since his impact is pretty minimal.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

For the love of God this is getting old ....

Ok, I will play ..... which LB would I give up for a head case, woman beating, 16 times involved with law enforcement WR that doesnt even come close to passing the sniff test for the Ravens goal of having moral players on the team?

Is there a 7th string LB I am not aware of? 'Cause thats about as high as I will goal.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Ok, I will play ..... which LB would I give up for a head case, woman beating, 16 times involved with law enforcement WR that doesnt even come close to passing the sniff test for the Ravens goal of having moral players on the team?

Is there a 7th string LB I am not aware of? 'Cause thats about as high as I will goal.

The season cant start soon enough, so all this trade talk with Marshall will end.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    let's just play this game...so Denver wants a LB who can step in and make an impact this year. So you can rule out any rookies right away. Also rule out Ayanbedejo. And for obvious reasons, take Ray and Suggs out of the picture.

Barnes is a possibility, because of his pass rushing ability, but I have to think the pick associated with him would need to be a 1st, no doubt, since he's not really a starter type guy.

Jameel McClain could be another, but again, it's another guy who is a little hard pressed to be a starter, so that pick would need to be pretty high.

Gooden would fit the mold pretty well, I think Gooden and a 2nd could possibly get the talks moving.

I honestly think our best chance would be trading JJ. He's the biggest impact LB that's not a "cornerstone" of the D. He'd probably lower the pick value to a 3rd.

So considering all that, I wouldn't make the deal, even putting aside that I don't want Marshall. Other than Barnes, the other LBs I mentioned are real Raven players and getting rid of them presents a big hit both talent wise and chemistry wise. Filling JJ's spot would be tough, since JJ is supposed to be that quasi-AD type LB, both excelling at the pass rush, while dropping back in coverage. I would think Kruger would potentially fill that role eventually, but for this year, I would say McClain would. Losing Gooden would immediatley thrust McClain into the starting spot as well. But we've seen that McClain has some definite deficiencies in pass coverage, so it'd be a bit rough.

Barnes would be the easiest to replace, since he's really a situational guy, but again, least likely LB that Denver would take since his impact is pretty minimal.
    Of all the Ravens LBs, the ones I would covet as Denver would be either McClain or Gooden. Both would have 4 years (including RFA) as a Bronco. McClain has proven more as a pro to date and has the versatility to play outside, but Gooden seems to be the better athelete with the speed to cover. JJ doesn't fit the bill in terms of a high-ceiling player, but he is signed thru 2011 (accelleration of signing bonus).

Obviously, the Broncos want a deal that will knock their socks off, so they won't tip their hand. However, despite (and because of) their over-the-top protestations, I think they are truly looking for an exit strategy. I'd guess that as the regular season approaches they'd trade Marshall for either of those players plus a 3rd round pick.

If you seriously believe Marshall is going to demand a player and a 1st, I don't think there is a taker anywhere near that. Given the cap considerations (assuming the CBA is resolved without changes to cap rookie pay), I think a late first round pick is significantly more valuable than Marshall. Perversely, if I were GM of the Browns, Raiders, Lions, or Chiefs I'd be looking for a way to trade away the risk of a top 5 pick for Marshall. He's a quality talent that can be signed to a long-term deal for a lot less than a top-5 guy.

If Denver is forced to sell low, they might rather have a player (of unknown ceiling) included to obfuscate the relative value. A secondary concern is to whom they trade him. While there are obvious reasons not to make the deal with either a divisional or conference rival, I don't think they are going to have a lot of offers to choose from.

None of this means the Ravens are interested. They eliminate a number of players from draft consideration based on character concerns. Marshall's recent behaviour would certainly meet that definition. If I'm making an argument on the other side, I'd say Ozzie was at one time willing to trade for TO.

I'll trade them Peter Boulware and Jamie Sharper straight up for Marshall.

And that's my final offer.

Blog Entries

my point was that I don't really think we have a LB that fits what they want...JJ has the impact, but it older and signed for fewer years. Gooden and McClain ar eunder contract for the next couple years, but they are both 1st year players, so you only have ONE season to judge them on...Gooden barely played and McClain was mostly on ST.

I hope Marshall gets traded somewhere else soon, I am also getting sick of people desperately clinging to hope we'll suddenly get stupid and make the deal. Hell, Anita Marks' new argument was about how he's playing like a top ten receiver, but his 2.2 mil salary pays him like #58....her argument was that she doesn't agree with the behavior, but she understands it.

My argument is that a TRUE PROFESSIONAL would handle it this way...You KNOW you only have so many options before the team says "Well, you signed this deal, we control your rights...tough crap". If you want to get paid top ten money....GO OUT ON THE FRIGGIN FIELD AND PLAY LIKE A TOP TEN RECEIVER...SHUT YOUR MOUTH. Mason handles his business this way. He asked us for an extension, made some public comments, and THAT WAS IT. When it didn't come, did he half ass it in practice or just not show up? NO, he went out and did his damn job.

I'll put this in an average joe perspective...My company is struggling to right itself in this economy, so one of the measures they took was suspending bonuses and salary raises for Manager level and above employees. So I am making the same amount of money in my job that I did last year, not even a cost of living raise. This is after they cut half our staff, so we are doing twice the work. Am I unhappy about it? Yes. Does that mean I should complain, half ass it at work, and say I'm going to stay home until they give me a raise? You know what that gets me? A PINK SLIP! You deal with it, go out and PROVE you deserve that raise and then SOMEONE (either your current employer or a new employer) is going to give you that money, because you handled it professionally and did your job.

And THAT is why I want no part of Brandon Marshall...whew.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

I agree; however, I would NOT trade ANY player, even Figurs, for Mr. BM. This team has nice chemistry, and there is NO way that I would want to perturb that!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton