Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

OT - I'm rooting for Michael Vick

I've decided to take the controvertial stance that I'm rooting for Michael Vick. You can read more about the logic behind it on my football blog, but in general I feel like it's counter-productive to root against him, and we should all be hoping he turns his life around successfully.

It actually tied closely with what happened with Ray Lewis. Vick actually killed, but Ray was involved with bad people and got into bad situations. Since then, he's been a model citizen. In my opinion, we should all be rooting for Vick to do the same with his life.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Re: OT - I'm rooting for Michael Vick

Not me.

A crime like that is different from something like armed robbery, or DUI, or a fight, etc. It was a unique crime that went on for years and shows that man has no compassion or decency. Prison didn't teach him compassion or decency, I'm sure he doesn't give a shit now about what he did just that he got caught.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    Prison didn't teach him compassion or decency, I'm sure he doesn't give a shit now about what he did just that he got caught.
    You don't know that. You don't think prison taught Donnie Andrews compassion or decency? Or, in general, that he didn't learn it somewhere along the way? The guy robbed and killed. I know others that did the same things only not to just drug dealers, that have come out and turned their lives around completely.

Ray Lewis is a perfect example. No, he didn't actually murder anyone, but he was consistently getting into trouble and running around with the wrong crowd. He was leading a gangster's life and lied to the police about what he knew about that life. Since then, we've rooted for him both as a player and as a person and he's turned his life around completely.

What good does it do to root against him? Isn't it better to hope that he truly has changed and truly does make a regular, positive contribution to society?

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com

I'm not going to root for a guy that killed innocent animals and knowingly ran an illegal operation. This wasn't a mistake or being in the wrong place at the wrong time type of thing. He's only sorry because he got caught. There is no doubt in my mind that the dog fighting would still be going on had he not been caught.

Let's do a Michael Sick top 5 ways that he personally killed dogs or had them killed:

5. Drowned (yes - even puppies who weren't violent enough to be exploited)
    4. Electricuted
    3. Hung
    2. Blunt Objects
    1. Swung around by their collars and slammed against the ground.

This "bad decision" went on for years.

Honestly, I do hope he has seen the error of his ways and goes on to be a productive citizen. I think he needs to do more than just not get in trouble and should continue speaking out against abusing animals even when he is no longer in the spotlight.

One can hope...

I guess nobody that goes to prison can be rehabilitated and become a productive citizen then.

I'm rooting for him too.

I don't give a shit enough to root or not to root for him. I do not care about Philly or anyone on that team. I will only care if the time comes to play them in the Superbowl.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I guess nobody that goes to prison can be rehabilitated and become a productive citizen then.
    I don't think anyone in this thread is saying they can't. He did his time and deserves a second chance. That doesn't mean I'm going to root for him though.

Great thread
    I have not really heard enough about Vick

Could you start about Favre too?

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    You don't know that. You don't think prison taught Donnie Andrews compassion or decency? Or, in general, that he didn't learn it somewhere along the way? The guy robbed and killed. I know others that did the same things only not to just drug dealers, that have come out and turned their lives around completely.

Ray Lewis is a perfect example. No, he didn't actually murder anyone, but he was consistently getting into trouble and running around with the wrong crowd. He was leading a gangster's life and lied to the police about what he knew about that life. Since then, we've rooted for him both as a player and as a person and he's turned his life around completely.

What good does it do to root against him? Isn't it better to hope that he truly has changed and truly does make a regular, positive contribution to society?

- C -
    Again, Ray Lewis was at the scene of a big fight, that escalated into a murder. He was simply at the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people. Even if he did participate in the fight, he didn't participate in the stabbing. This is heat of the moment type stuff, totally different.

Vick on the other hand, was the financier of a interstate dog gambling ring and personally oversaw the construction and use of dog fighting facilities where dogs were tortured and killed. This went on for a long time. Someone who can do that kind of stuff can never be changed to suddenly feel remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by duffybr View Post
    Great thread
    I have not really heard enough about Vick

Could you start about Favre too?
    :word

I agree, duffy. It's bad enough that I have to hear about this degenerate piece of trash every time I turn on NFL Network. There are so may other model players out there to root for besides this human abortion, why would anyone openly choose to root for him?

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    Again, Ray Lewis was at the scene of a big fight, that escalated into a murder. He was simply at the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people. Even if he did participate in the fight, he didn't participate in the stabbing. This is heat of the moment type stuff, totally different.

Vick on the other hand, was the financier of a interstate dog gambling ring and personally oversaw the construction and use of dog fighting facilities where dogs were tortured and killed. This went on for a long time. Someone who can do that kind of stuff can never be changed to suddenly feel remorse.
    Your view is only one side of the argument. I know many that think that while what Vick did was gross, the actions of someone that could lead to the death of one person is always more heinous than however many dogs Vick killed.

I also think it's presumptuous to think he can never be changed and never feel remorse.

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com