Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: (please sticky) 2007 Mock Draft Trends

I know that i am higher on Rolle then most. I think he is a borderline number one, meaning a top 20-30 CB. For the number two on the number one defense, that makes him a bit of a liability, as basically every other starter last year was top 10 at their position. CB's are made to look like weaknesses on every team. That's how the rules are.
    Not to mention that Rolle is handcuffed to this team Salary cap wise. He will be starting this year, and on the team next year. I see more potential in the young guys. I think Ogelsby or Prude could have started in a pinch last year, and been a step down, but been solid by NFL standards, not Raven's standerads, think Baxter.

Because of that, and the LB/DE post above, it's how I think right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I know that i am higher on Rolle then most. I think he is a borderline number one, meaning a top 20-30 CB. For the number two on the number one defense, that makes him a bit of a liability, as basically every other starter last year was top 10 at their position. CB's are made to look like weaknesses on every team. That's how the rules are.
    Not to mention that Rolle is handcuffed to this team Salary cap wise. He will be starting this year, and on the team next year. I see more potential in the young guys. I think Ogelsby or Prude could have started in a pinch last year, and been a step down, but been solid by NFL standards, not Raven's standerads, think Baxter.

Because of that, and the LB/DE post above, it's how I think right or wrong.
    If he was that good then he wouldn't have been shown up as much as he was last year. He's not a bad #2 but he's also not a borderline #1 either. He's not got top end speed for tracking guys deep (Braylon Edwards destroyed him last year for one), he doesn't have good recovery speed on double moves if he gets beat and he's not particularly good at bumping guys of routes. He's adequate at everything, but is also beatable in almost every part of his game and someone that I don't think will be starting in 2008 and will only start this year because those behind him are merely nickels and he's just about passable for this year.

For the top 20/30 CB claim, I'm bored and looking to avoid doing reading for my dissertation so here goes, 30 CBs I'd have above Rolle:

1) Nnamdi Asomogha
    2) Champ Bailey
    3) Ronde Barber
    4) Leigh Bodden
    5) Sheldon Brown
    6) Nate Clements
    7) DeAngelo Hall
    8) Al Harris
    9) Quentin Jammer
    10) Adam Jones (On field, obviously wouldn't have him cos he's a jailbird)
    11) Brian Kelly
    12) Ken Lucas
    13) Richard Marshall
    14) Rashean Mathis
    15) Chris McAllister
    16) Terrence McGee
    17) Mike McKenzie
    18) Terrence Newman
    19) Dunta Robinson
    20) Asante Samuel
    21) Lito Shepperd
    22) Marcus Trufant
    23) Nathan Vasher
    24) Fabian Washington
    25) Antoine Winfield
    26) Charles Tillman

Hmmmm, actually, that's only 26 (off the top of my head), but it doesn't include guys like Antonio Cromartie and Carlos Rogers etc. who played at a similar level to Rolle this year but are only going to get better from here rather than slower and worse. In addition I wouldn't call all of those guys #1's either, calling Samari Rolle a borderline #1 is beyond a stretch IMO.

You obviously put no credence into the position we put our corners in. We tended to have them both in man coverage with Ed Reed freelancing all over the place. They still helped the Raven's to the 6th best pass defense in yards and touchdowns, yet you have McCallister at 15 and Rolle behind PENALTY MACHINE Carlos Rogers. If you watched more then a couple of Skins games with a skins fan, you would have heard them cursing at the TV at him EVERY GAME. The kid looked lost. To me, Rolle looked no worse then what I saw from the bottom 5 or 6 on your list, but I certainly wouldn't disagree with one in the "top" 20. I stand by my POV, you are welcome to stand on yours obviously as well, but your inclusion of Rogers as an "alternate" makes me inclined to think that if we saw all 16 games of these other guys we would feel blessed to have the guys we do.

Rogers is a stretch but he's got the physical talents to get better (deep speed, recovery speed). Rolle doesn't, Rolle's has all but lost his top end speed and losing his closing speed.

That list isn't in order either, it's alphabetical for the most part.

Re: 2007 Mock Draft Trends

Bump for the weekly updates.

Please let me know if there is still interest in following this. If not, I can just do it for myself and no post. Thanks :)

I'm following it, ER. Thanks for the work you put in on it.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blalock still the most popular which I hate with a passion.

Kalil I'm liking more and more as a pick though.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    Blalock still the most popular which I hate with a passion.

Kalil I'm liking more and more as a pick though.

I'm actually with you. Chester could move to guard if we wanted, so if that's the way to go, it's not all bad. Tackle depth is scary though.

Festivus, thanks. I'll keep this going...I find it pretty interesting myself.

I read it too.
    I think Blalock or Beekman are much better fits for the greater good ofo our OLine then Staley or Kalil. I don't want more dainty passblockers, I want some mean roadgraders for the right side of our line.

I was doing the daily perusal of web sources and a few things concern me.

New England appears to have a desire to pick a right Tackle so appears like they may snap up whatever tackle prospect the Ravens may use whether that be Staley or Blalock. NE's front office is also fairly good so that really really concerns me.

Big rumors about Tampa trading up in the draft (ie with detroit) to make sure they can grab CJ. Now Detroit needs to pull a San Diego with the Vick-Tomlinson swap and grab some picks in return. Wait, it's Matt Millen. Those picks won't amount to anything.

LINK

Above is a link to mock draft I've found backing up my theory that Levi Brown could fall to #29. If this happened I'd absolutely love it and the DJ Boyer isn't just some draft hack who's created his own website and thinks he knows what he's talking about. He's worked as an NFL Scout with a bunch of teams and hits the scouting trail every year with NFL scouts.

I still think this is a very real possibility of happening, the biggest hurdle being Kansas City at #23 who need tackles worse than we needed WRs a couple of years ago.

Yup, I actually include that particular mock in my pooling. Levi Brown actually received "votes" in two mock this week and that has roughly been his average throughout the tallying I have been doing.

Levi Brown would be a coup if he plays close to the potential listed though it seems that some might view him as boom or bust, whatever that means. I think it's just someone making an excuse about being completely unsure how a player will react to the NFL.

I'd be very excited if something like that were to happen and if the Ravens are that high on him, they may go up and grab him. That's happened several times in draft history when the team considers later players a big drop off in talent.

Trades up include Anthony Weaver and Haloti Ngata.