Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Plax gets 2 years in the Slammer

Just read the news ....

Not too shocking. It seemed a lot given that he plead guilty. I would have thought the DA would have come down some if he plead out.

Re: Plax gets 2 years in the Slammer

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Just read the news ....

Not too shocking. It seemed a lot given that he plead guilty. I would have thought the DA would have come down some if he plead out.
    I believe the charge if convicted was a mandatory sentence of 3-5 years. I think 2 years was the bargain for accepting the deal. The hold up was that the DA refused to come down from the 2 year sentence and Plax only wanted 1.

You have to figure his NFL Career may be pretty much over. 2 years in the slam, and you know when he gets out he will have to serve an NFL suspension of maybe a year if not more.

I don't see how he comes back an effective receiver.

I think he's done.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    You have to figure his NFL Career may be pretty much over. 2 years in the slam, and you know when he gets out he will have to serve an NFL suspension of maybe a year if not more.

I don't see how he comes back an effective receiver.

I think he's done.
    Nah, he'll be back. Everyone said the same thing about Michael Vick.

He'll most likely get an early release for good behavior and then everyone will be crying "HE SERVED HIS TIME LET PLAX PLAY LOL LOL LOL!!1!" like they are doing now with Vick.

Sucks for him. Dumbass. When you make millions, MILLIONS of dollars a year, why the hell would you EVER carry a gun?! YOU CAN HIRE LICENSED PROFESSIONALS TO DO THAT FOR YOU!!

That does not seem like a fair sentance for being stupid.

The gun was registered in another state, it is not like he was going to rob someone or anything.

the law is the law, but in this case it does not seem right. How much time in jail does he need to learn his lesson?

It also does not seem like the gun ban is working if people like him still feel like they need armed protection in public.

I think the bill of rights allows citzens to bear arms to protect themselves if they feel like it. The purpose of the bill of rights was to protect the individual and minority from being completly subject to majority rule. I thought that was what they told us in school.

Maybe he takes it to the supreme court to get shot down like the DC gun ban.

I also do not see how a mandatory sentance is just. Why can't the judge or jury decide what is a fair punishment based on the case?

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Nah, he'll be back. Everyone said the same thing about Michael Vick.
    Vick went away when he was 27 or so for a year and a half. Plax is 32 and off to prison. He'll be 34 when he's out, vs. 29 for Vick, and shelf-life on a QB is higher than it is on a receiver.

Maybe he'll get a vet min deal from someone when he's out, but I think stinger's right, my guess is he's done. Particularly if he get suspended beyond just the prison sentence.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

not so patiently waiting for someone to make the obligatory emotional comparison of Plax and Stallworth. :grbac:

Hey Jeremiah,

If you drive drunk and only hurt yourself you still get punished. We do have a right to have weapons but every idiot who doesn't know how to properly use them risks everyones life. What if that bullet killed someone?

Quote Originally Posted by EdReed4Prez View Post
    Hey Jeremiah,

If you drive drunk and only hurt yourself you still get punished. We do have a right to have weapons but every idiot who doesn't know how to properly use them risks everyones life. What if that bullet killed someone?
    If if was a spliff...

If he killed someone by accident, I suppose it would be manslaughter in the 2nd degree or some junk.

I suppose it is sort of comparable to drinking and driving, especially since the gun went off most likley because he was drunk and dancing or something, and the gun never should have been there in the first place.

Some jail time does not seem totaly unreasonable to me. I just do not think he needs 2 years behind bars to learn this lesson. I also get that the punishment is more to discourage the next guy from having an unregistered gun in NY and not just to punish the one you caught, but I do not see how 3 or 6 months in jail does not do the same thing, or just a huge fine and probation or something.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by EdReed4Prez View Post
    Agreed. I am about as big a 2nd Amendment supporter as they come. I carry here in Texas but I do so lawfully (not in bars, concerts, or under the influence, etc) and I have proper training under my belt.

Plax took a fully loaded Glock .45 (a weapon that has no external safety), stuffed it down the front of his pants without any holster, into a crowded night club. That bullet could have easily gone through his leg and into someone else.

Suppose he did have a valid license to carry (people are licensed, not guns), he still took a loaded weapon into an establishment that generates 51% of their revenue from alcohol sales -- a felony in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    That does not seem like a fair sentance for being stupid.

The gun was registered in another state, it is not like he was going to rob someone or anything.

the law is the law, but in this case it does not seem right. How much time in jail does he need to learn his lesson?

It also does not seem like the gun ban is working if people like him still feel like they need armed protection in public.

I think the bill of rights allows citzens to bear arms to protect themselves if they feel like it. The purpose of the bill of rights was to protect the individual and minority from being completly subject to majority rule. I thought that was what they told us in school.

Maybe he takes it to the supreme court to get shot down like the DC gun ban.

I also do not see how a mandatory sentance is just. Why can't the judge or jury decide what is a fair punishment based on the case?

I agree. I am a little shocked at the severity of the sentence given the facts of the case.