Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

24th in the power rankings!?

Indy and Tenn take a hit in this ranking too, but not as bad as we do...

http://www.whatifsports.com/beyondth...ticle=20090624
    O's, Stroh's and Nappy Ho's

2. Re: 24th in the power rankings!?

that's idiotic, what a douche

Re: 24th in the power rankings!?

Are you really upset over some hack web site?

I wouldn't call it a hack website. Actually, it's a pretty cool website, specializing in simulations, upon which, their power rankings are based.

Here's their wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WhatIfSports.com
    O's, Stroh's and Nappy Ho's

It really is a load of crap. Surprised Fox Sports lent their name to it.

If you turn to their analysis of the NFC North you get the usual wild speculation. The premise of the site seems to be some sort of quantitative analysis and rigorous simulations. And yet, when you try to figure out what factors they are loading into their simulation modeling, you realize it's all bunk. A lot of pure speculation about what kind of year Flacco will have and whether Oher is really a first rounder and how badly the Ravens will miss Rex Ryan and Bart Scott. Yawn.

In other words, the same old crap shoveled into a pretend-scientific wrapper.

Quote Originally Posted by f7eleven View Post
    I wouldn't call it a hack website. Actually, it's a pretty cool website, specializing in simulations, upon which, their power rankings are based.

I dont think linking to wiki helps your argument! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by f7eleven View Post

They seemed to make their mark doing historical simulations. That's perfectly valid. You can imagine in that case they are using real data to pair players and teams against each other in any moment in time. We know exactly where the 2000 Ravens were weak and strong, for instance, and could align those characteristics against the 1985 Bears. I get that.

But to try and simulate the performance for all NFL teams in 2009 is pure crap. There is no data to base anything on. Sure, you could apply trend analysis to make some scientific assumptions. But that's not very valid in the NFL where teams can go from 4-12 to 12-4 from year to year. Trends may work from decade to decade but not year to year. So you can suppose they took 2008 characteristics and tried to guess what the effects of offseason changes will be. Key word: guess.

did anyone actually look at those ratings? they have the Chiefs, the Bungles, the Dolphins, the Redskins, and the Bills all ranked higher then us.... WTF? KC won what 4 games last year? and the Bungles... i know those teams had good drafts, but that is just stupid. the Texans are an improving team, but 10 overall? they have the Eagles as the top team? i can't name a single LB or S on that defense. i didn't know losing your leader (Brian Dawkins) and picking up a 1st round WR would make you that good. as much as it pains me to say it, the steelers are number 1 in the rankings, i don't care how much hype the Eagles picked up.

this site is a joke. i don't care what is based on. i guess they are expecting HUGE contributions from rookies... or something....
    Last edited by bmore4life; 06-25-2009 at 06:25 PM.

Ranking theRavens 24th is a cry for help. Those poor people are operating a site that addresses football issues and know nothing about the game. Don't embarrass them by showing other people how challenged they are. Plus, the 2009 Ravens have no chance with Jeff Blake at quarterback.

Blog Entries

what-if-sports.com??????? Try WTF-SPORTS.COM!

I dont care what system they used to come up with this! If you look at it and it doesnt make since, well then its time to go back to the drawing board!

11. Re: 24th in the power rankings!?

Settle down fellas. It's just a prediction site. Just like all those fun computer games like Strat-o-Matic or Statis pro back in the old days.

Feel better.
    Here were the predictions of the 2008 AFC North. Pretty spot on.Browns win the AFC North and Steelers miss the playoffs as well as our beloved Ravens.

Browns (10-6)
    "The team definitely improved its roster in the off-season. A brutal schedule should give the Browns about the same record as last year, but now it is good enough for the division championship, Cleveland's first since 1989. The Browns average 25.8 points per game (#6 in the NFL) and allow 21.5 points (#11) against a schedule featuring eight games against 2007 playoff teams."

Steelers (9-7)
    "It is not a bad season for the Steelers; they just do not quite make the playoffs. Pittsburgh actually has a fairly explosive offense for 2008, but the defense is not what it has been. The schedule is tough, and the Browns are just a little better. The Steelers average 24.7 points per game (#13) and allow 23.2 points (#17) against a schedule featuring eight games against 2007 playoff teams."

Ravens (5-11)
    "The 2008 version of the Baltimore Ravens is almost exactly the same team that took the field in 2007. They went 5-11 in 2007 - and this is not a team that is "developing." They are simply getting older. The Ravens average 20.0 points per game (#28) and allow 27.2 points (#26) against a schedule featuring eight games against 2007 playoff teams."

Bengals (5-11)
    "Off the field issues - not just criminally, but in the locker room, the front office and in scouting - have caught up with this franchise, which has only made the playoffs once in the last 17 years. The truth is, Carson Palmer is capable of leading a team to a deep playoff run, and it may just happen with the Bengals some season; the defense is too inexperienced, and the running game has too many question marks for that season to be 2008. The Bengals average 22.2 points per game (#19) and allow 29.2 points (#31) against a schedule featuring eight games against 2007 playoff teams."

24th in power rankings? meh. These sites crack me up with their bias. Expert... smeckspert. I mean we all know with Anthony Wright at QB, Bam Morris at RB, and Derrick Alexander at WR the Ravens should at least be in the mid-teens right? We're at the least second place in the division with Butch Davis running the show for the Browns. What is thier problem?

Really though this means nothing. That entire list will be a forgotten memory yesterday.