Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Wink 2009 Baltimore Trip Part II

(I hate it when threads get longer and hard to read so I'm strarting a new one)

I'll put this information into the newsletter - very soon, but I want to get this sorted prior to publishing it.

:haggis :eng: Subject to final confirmation, and other things going wrong, Gordon and I will be set for the :celery 2009 UKR's trip :celery on the weekend of 26th / 27th of September to enjoy the game with CLEVELAND !!!

I even thought of wearing my old Browns cap for some of the trip to pay homage to the fact that I used to support them - but NO!!! Too long ago, too much s&*t from their fans to pay any respect.
    Last edited by UKRaven; 06-07-2009 at 07:37 AM. Reason: typo

Re: 2009 Baltimore Trip Part II

Yep, going to get the holidays confirmed tomorrow if I possible.

Checked the college football schedules and both Towson and Maryland are at home on the Saturday (Towson host Morgan State and Maryland host Rutgers.) Don't know if that interests you at all Dave. But sightseeing while on Friday and Monday interests me. What all is there to see in the area?

You can do a day in Baltimore, but my advice is that if you've got a full day (i.e. fly in Thursday), head down to D.C. for the day, see the monuments, maybe a couple of the Smithsonian museums etc.

If you guys are interested in going to the Terps on Saturday, let me know and I will work on getting the tickets and head down with you.

Good stuff. I'm leaving the itinerary up to Dave but I'd definately be up for that.

Something must be wrong with the site as I have posted twice on this thread.

Can anyone advise me the the pro's and con's of watching the Towson game verses Maryland ?

For Maryland:

Better quality of team;
    Better opponent;
    Bigger crowd.

For Towson;

Easier to get to.

Somebody like Tim may be able to assist more here.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

So how many of your are coming?

This should be an easier game to get tickets for since the Browns are projected to blow chunks.

Think its just Dave and myself. First time for me!

Wink Re: 2009 Baltimore Trip Part II

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenGordon View Post
    For Maryland:

Better quality of team;
    Better opponent;
    Bigger crowd.

For Towson;

Easier to get to.

Somebody like Tim may be able to assist more here.
    I can't help with the Maryland vs. Towson question, since I've never attended a game at Towson (a couple of my kids did, however, and one remarked that the games were lame - but he was pissed due to the alcohol restrictions). Note, however, that this game, I believe, is being played at 4 pm at Morgan State's Hughes Stadium, not Towson's Unitas Stadium. Should you decide to go to Morgan State's stadium (not recommended), you would have an hour between the College Park and Baltimore games, which would be about an hour's ride.

But let's further complicate your decision-making: Navy is home vs. W. Kentucky -- 3:30 pm start. It would be possible to see a College Park - Annapolis doubleheader (I can tell you from personal experience - I attend all Navy home games and at least one or two Terps games annually, sometimes on the same day if I can get away with it). Byrd Stadium and Navy-Marine Corps Stadium are 30 miles apart, 95% via freeway. The biggest time factor is parking and exiting. College Park can be daunting if there's a large crowd. Navy is no problem, since I can share my top-secret free parking location 2 blocks from the stadium, not co-mingled with stadium lot traffic.

You should either skip the last 7 -10 minutes of the Terps-Rutgers game if you wanted to catch the jet flyover in Annapolis (every game), or watch the Maryland game in its entirety and miss the first 10 minutes or so of the Navy game.

While both are Division 1-A, the games at College Park and Annapolis are very different. e.g. College Park tailgating = beer, Navy = martinis. College Park = hodge podge stadium but much bigger, Navy = one of the best football only stadia on the East Coast (sightlines, access, food), college or NFL. Navy games are more subdued, except for the Middies section which does a lot in unison (military school and all). Games and tailgating at both stadia are a lot of fun.

If you decide on Navy, I can get you tickets (as a season ticket holder, I have priority for extras), and parking as aforementioned. Also, I may want to tag up with you in College Park and ride down to Annapolis with you -- my best friend may be visiting Maryland that same weekend and we are discussing doing the Terps-Navy-Ravens trifecta as well. (My wife frowns on these football safaris of mine, so I jump at the chance to tell her that I am required to do so to be a good host!)

as to visiting the Nation's Crime Capital:

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    You can do a day in Baltimore, but my advice is that if you've got a full day (i.e. fly in Thursday), head down to D.C. for the day, see the monuments, maybe a couple of the Smithsonian museums etc.
    One caution: in late September, the Federal workforce is typically at 99+% strength, finding reckless ways to waste our tax money before appropriations expire at midnight September 30th. I worked many years in downtown DC and can attest to the extra traffic and parking congestion. If you still have that foreign visitors' itch to see DC landmarks, I suggest staying in a cheaper Baltimore area hotel, riding the MARC Train for $10 or so R/T, and getting around DC via a $31.50 day pass on the Old Town Trolley Tours. The DC Metro (subway) would cost about $10 to get around the sites, but you would miss a lot, have no tour guide, and waste time.

Of course, if you aren't highly motivated to do the DC monuments and buildings, there is plenty to do and see in and around Baltimore and Annapolis. Make sure to allot ample time to sample the cask ales at the Wharf Rat in Fells Point!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Hey Greg-
    is Chunks your dog?

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

I don't think the "Do you think your cleveland in disguise?" song is going to work this time round.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.