Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OT: Guthrie the ace...what a joke!

4W-4L (soon to be 4-5), 14 HR's, .274 batting avg against, 5.61 ERA

And this is the ace?

Be thankful that McPhail didn't sign him to a long term deal...maybe he knew something that we hard up fans didn't. I'd rather watch the young guys. Let's trade this guy for a 3rd base prospect if we can.

But let's wait until he has a good outing...

Re: OT: Guthrie the ace...what a joke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo Rizon View Post
    4W-4L (soon to be 4-5), 14 HR's, .274 batting avg against, 5.61 ERA

And this is the ace?

Be thankful that McPhail didn't sign him to a long term deal...maybe he knew something that we hard up fans didn't. I'd rather watch the young guys. Let's trade this guy for a 3rd base prospect if we can.
    There was never a chance he was getting any sort of long term deal. In fact, his pay went down a bit from last season.

He's not an ace, he's just the #1 on this team. There's a big difference.

His trade value is at an all time low right now. The best we can hope for is him turning it around at some point and get a few decent starts before the trade deadline.

I'd like to see Hill and 4 rookies as the rotation from August on.

PP

Friggin O'S. How can anyone route for this pathetic franchise. As soon as king a$$hole fired Dave Johnson I was done with them.
    Please live on your memories. As long as king dick rules this roost we are done.
    Find something else to do in the summer. Golf is a great passtime

Quote Originally Posted by phatboy View Post
    Friggin O'S. How can anyone route for this pathetic franchise. As soon as king a$$hole fired Dave Johnson I was done with them.
    Please live on your memories. As long as king dick rules this roost we are done.
    Find something else to do in the summer. Golf is a great passtime
    lol at people still spouting this clueless crap.

Granted that he is far from an ace, but...

Guthrie tried to tough it out after getting hit in the forearm but couldn't get out of the first. Guthrie had put together three quality starts in a row before Friday's debacle.
    That includes 10 Ks in his previous start against Detroit. He tends to have miserable outings like last night, but it's not like he's incapable of pitching a decent game (e.g. Mark Hendrickson)

Quote Originally Posted by RavensInBrazil View Post
    Granted that he is far from an ace, but...

That includes 10 Ks in his previous start against Detroit. He tends to have miserable outings like last night, but it's not like he's incapable of pitching a decent game (e.g. Mark Hendrickson)
    Which means is a #3/#4 starter on a decent team.

And he's been wildly inconsistent this season starting when he got absolutely shelled in the WBC.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by Sephy View Post
    lol at people still spouting this clueless crap.
    "LOL"? Hardly. Players, coaches and GMs have come and gone. Some things have stayed the same, for a loooong time. Perhaps the "LOL" should be directed at those who think the O's have turned some corner? We shall see.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    "LOL"? Hardly. Players, coaches and GMs have come and gone. Some things have stayed the same, for a loooong time. Perhaps the "LOL" should be directed at those who think the O's have turned some corner? We shall see.
    To say these things and ignore the progress the O's have made, both in front office, talent in the majors AND minors - is definitely lol-worthy. I take issue with people who just rabble rouse and yell Angelos as if absolutely nothing has changed since 1998.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Sephy. It's certainly been frustrating for all of us diehard O's fans for the last 11-12 years, but when I hear people spout the same ignorant BS without acknowledging the IMMENSE progress that has been made under Andy's helm, it makes me chuckle.

You can bemoan the past, and Angelos' inability to keep his hand out of the cookie jar, but the truth of the matter is that he has hired a wonderful GM and has allowed MacPhail to run the club as he sees fit.

Our minor league system is now OVERFLOWING with talented pitchers and some very solid positional prospects. Just look at Berken and Bergesen developing before our eyes (Hernandez has struggled a bit as of late). Brandon Snyder is hitting the crap out of the ball in Bowie and Rowell is developing in the outfield and putting up nice power numbers.

Furthermore, we have Reimold who has earned his shot and has come through and we all know that Wieters will get in the groove soon enough. However, the most exciting aspect is that the true "cavalry" hasn't even arrived yet. We have Tillman dominating in Norfolk, Arrieta (who looks like Mussina) Patton and Erbe destroying the competition in Bowie, and a young Matusz in Frederick who might be the gem of them all.

The future is very promising so just sit back and enjoy this year. There will be some ups and, unfortunately, quite a few growing pains. But it will be all worth it when 2010 comes around. And to the naysayers: Don't you DARE try to jump back on the bandwagon when we compete for the next decade+ and come back into glory. We don't want OR need your sorry asses.

Go O's and go Ravens!

You cheer for your home teams win or lose. 11 losing seasons is difficult to forgive, and the owner has left a lot to be desired. This season though, there are a lot of promising signs. Getting them to all fire at the same time seems to be the difficult task. When our pitching is great, our bats are slumping. When our bats are alive, our pitching stinks it up. Last night with Guthrie on the mound, the team managed to be on the same page with their hitting and pitching. It just happened to be that both stunk.

If you are not an Orioles fan, that is fine, but to say things like "How can people cheer for this team..." is insane. The answer is easy. They are our team, and when they turn the corner and start putting up wins, and they will do it, then the naysayers can stay away for all I care.

The Orioles famr system is as solid as it has been for a very long time, and these guys are slowly making their way up. If you can not see the talent that has come up so far, then there is no need to try to convince the naysayers otherwise. Pay attention. Do not just look at the box score. That does not tell the whole story.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Quote Originally Posted by Sephy View Post
    To say these things and ignore the progress the O's have made, both in front office, talent in the majors AND minors - is definitely lol-worthy. I take issue with people who just rabble rouse and yell Angelos as if absolutely nothing has changed since 1998.
    Oh, some things have changed. Some things have stayed the same. I wouldn't mock the Kool Aid drinkers any more than I mock the Ravens Kool Aid drinkers, but I certainly wouldn't mock the skeptics. There is a place for skepticism in the O's fan base.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Skepticism is one thing, but when it reaches the point of bitching and complaining and totally blinding oneself to progress, THEN I have an issue!