Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sporting News Today - Best Offensive Coordinators

Cam Cameron is #1!

The rest of the top 5 (they rated 20) -
    2 - Chan Gailey Chiefs
    3 - Dan Henning Dolphins
    4 - Kevin Gilbride Giants (former Steelers OC right?)
    5 - Mike Heimerdinger Titans

In the AFCN, Bob Bratkowski of the Bengals is #8, Bruce Arians Steelers #11.

Browns OC? Anywhere? Bueller?

Blog Entries

Re: Sporting News Today - Best Offensive Coordinators

Maybe in another year or two, someone is going to be smart enough to give Cam another shot at a HC gig, and it'll pay off big time I think.

He's a great coach who just had a not great situation in Miami...he's got a great offensive mind and I credit him just as much as I do Harbaugh for turning this team around last year.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

3. Re: Sporting News Today - Best Offensive Coordinators

...and marvin lewis was a great defensive mind, don't get that confused with being a great HC. harbs and tomlin are great head coaches in my opinion, but not necessarily great coordinators. it's not going to be too hard to be great with LT, gates, a solid QB, good defense, and 5 huge WR's to throw to. i think cam is great, but i just dont know how great of a head coach he is (same argument with rex, possibly).

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    ...and marvin lewis was a great defensive mind, don't get that confused with being a great HC. harbs and tomlin are great head coaches in my opinion, but not necessarily great coordinators. it's not going to be too hard to be great with LT, gates, a solid QB, good defense, and 5 huge WR's to throw to. i think cam is great, but i just dont know how great of a head coach he is (same argument with rex, possibly).
    I think HC is a totally different job than an OC or DC. Mike Martz had a brilliant mind and scheme but terrible personality for a HC. I think Norv Turner is another one of those guys but he is a lot better a HC than Martz. Billick turned out to be a pretty bone headed OC, but was a brilliant leader for a long time and premium face man even with an ugly mug.

5. Re: Sporting News Today - Best Offensive Coordinators

coordinators play a much bigger role than they are used to, with the OC and DC making most of the game plan. this has opened the door up for great motivators at HC, with the brilliant minds in the coordinator slots, thus making the transition a little more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Maybe in another year or two, someone is going to be smart enough to give Cam another shot at a HC gig, and it'll pay off big time I think.

He's a great coach who just had a not great situation in Miami...he's got a great offensive mind and I credit him just as much as I do Harbaugh for turning this team around last year.
    Miami was Cam's second shot at HC and second subsequent failure. He may get another shot, but it wouldn't shock me at all if he doesn't, at least for several years. Two failures, plus he's pretty old. The very clear trend in the NFL right now is toward younger, untested assistants that could potentially be your coach for the next 20+ years. Cam's the old, twice failed coach who seems better suited for coordinator.

I think we've got him for a while. And I couldn't be more thrilled by that.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Miami was Cam's second shot at HC and second subsequent failure. He may get another shot, but it wouldn't shock me at all if he doesn't, at least for several years. Two failures, plus he's pretty old. The very clear trend in the NFL right now is toward younger, untested assistants that could potentially be your coach for the next 20+ years. Cam's the old, twice failed coach who seems better suited for coordinator.

I think we've got him for a while. And I couldn't be more thrilled by that.

- C -
    I am fairly certain the NFL was his only NFL head coaching gig.

Cam was a head coach only once and that was for Miami.

He was the QB coach for the Redskins for a while and was also the OC for San Diego.

He was HC at Indiana and had a horrible record there. It's not the NFL, but when you've got one failed HC tenure with an NFL team, an NCAA failed tenure won't be ignored.

Without Miami, teams likely say "well, could just be college vs. NFL difference." But he's had success in assistant roles in college as well as the pros. With the failed HC shot at Miami, people will say "Well, he has demonstrated he's an excellent assistant, and not a good HC."

It's relevant...

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

It was widely reported that Cameron lost the locker room very quickly in Miami.

He seems to be the perfect example of a coordinator and not head coach material.

PP

I personally don't think Cam will ever get another HC shot...you can't lose the locker room and flame out that badly like he did in Miami and expect another job.

Kinda similar to Dick Lebeau in Pitt.

Xs and Os-wise, Cam has a pretty solid handle on things. But being the HC of any team in one of the world's top sports leagues is a challenge that requires a certain personality Cam seems to lack.

Dick Vermeil and Tony Dungy seemed like a softees, but both had the types of characters and professional demeanors that made their players run through walls for them.

Cameron appears to be missing that X-factor.