Thread: Some thoughts

Blog Entries

Some thoughts

It is slow but there are enough little nuggets coming through that can be thought about.

Syp's knee has been a concern since I first heard of the extent of the damage a training camp ago. Haven't been able to shake either the feeling it is a 2 year injury, or that we have seen the best he can be already and maybe he can get back to that level. Saw the Smith for Wilcox change, but there is still a nagging feeling that we can use another TE. Then I read from AW
    Tight end Edgar Jones caught a long touchdown pass from quarterback Troy Smith
    and optimism increases that there is a hidden Antonio Gates in there somewhere. Probably not but something to watch, especially to see if blocking has improved. Not saying we won't bring a late cut TE in, but we sure can wait and watch things develop locally.

Another thing that has me thinking is the activity with OLmen.
    The Ravens signed offensive linemen Lou Saucedo (Montana State) and Stefan Rodgers (Lambuth).
    Saucedo tried out for the Chicago Bears recently, but wasn't signed to a deal.
    Rodgers was cut by the Jaguars this month. The third-year lineman has previous stints with the New York Jets, Philadelphia Eagles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Tennessee Titans.
    Wondering is this just normal camp depth evaluation or is there more laying under the surface. Does this mean Reitz still needs another year of development? How much unspoken concern is there for Yanda's knee?
    Cousins and Hale should have a solid evaluation by the team, are they happy or seeing if they can tweak the depth better? The fact that Saucedo/Rodgers are others rejects is a bit of a concern for me, but maybe they are camp bodies, or maybe there is a deeper concern that is not obvious.

Then we toss in Felix
    It was a huge surprise," said Felix, who was projected to be drafted prior to the stroke. "It was a shock. I sat around for 3 1/2 weeks waiting and I finally said, 'OK, I'm going to get going on my life. I was about to start a job and the Ravens called and wanted me to try out.
    I have no problem with that, Ravens have a history of prior damage tolerance from Jaamal's knees to a flyer on Poindexter. Only question is why did they let him sit for 3 1/2 weeks? Again almost makes me think that there is something more going on... a concern that may have gotten stronger by the team when they started seeing practice? Maybe they are actively looking to see if Terry can be replaced? That is just a pure guess, but I'm sure feeling that there is something below the surface that we aren't aware of yet.

Yeah, I know can never have enough bodies, and the more the merrier, and what I'm seeing could just be normal business, but something is sitting uneasy in it for me.

Re: Some thoughts

I would not read too far into adding comp at the bottom of the roster. Some of the IR guys may start out on the PUP list even if they could practice just so we can get a live look at some extra prospects. You never know when you may need a Chad Slaughter kind of camp body/ street free agent that you could plug and play more effectivly than a rookie.

There is no harm in adding depth and comp for the OTAs. I think the roster moves serve as motivation to the top 53 if nothing else just to let them know that they better show up for the "voluntary" sessions and do something when they get there.

Don't read much into this. They're filling roster spots to test for camp. Standard for every NFL team. You just don't hear about it cause ESPN isn't reporting on our 10th UFA undrafted OT we just signed just like they're not reporting that on the other 32 teams. Go read their local papers and you'll see the same activity.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

I think we've had so many probs at OL last few years maybe they overcompensating and stockpiling guys at that position. really don't see a drawback. we could be set at tackles next 10 years wi Gaither and Oher, which is a great thing.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

I think it's wise to "overload", at least in our perception. Almost guaranteed about 4-5 guys will be IRed or not make the team due to injuries. That can be our depth or a contributor to a rotation 5-10 snaps a game to give someone a breather.

Load up and see who survives camp. Fans never see the injuries coming, but they will be there.

It's possible the Felix signing may be related to Yanda's situation. If Chris Chester is playing RG, alluvasudden we don't have a backup C. I suspect Felix was a guy the scouts were targeting during the season, until the stroke. His availability plus the Chester/Yanda thing came together and the Ravens pulled the trigger. Wouldn't surprise me to see Felix make the team.
    (or at least the practice squad)

The other guys, I think it's just standard practice to stockpile linemen.

Which I find exciting. It's great that the current regime wants to spend resources on growing a great O-line. It's in the blood for Harbaugh & Cameron & Matsko. That's awesome. It's that, along with the development of Flacco, that is going to drive this offense into the future.

7. Re: Some thoughts

everyone is forgetting david hale. that makes me wonder if its just us on the boards not remembering or if he is underachieving...

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    everyone is forgetting david hale. that makes me wonder if its just us on the boards not remembering or if he is underachieving...
    I read that Terry and Cousins are hurt so maybe Hale is filling in at RT rotation. I did not like what I saw from him, but he kept sticking on the roster and playing a lot of positions in practice from what I heard C, both G spots and Rt.

Blog Entries

Cousin's injury doesn't bother me yet, he is young, and injuries happen.
    More of a concern is Terry because I'm suspecting a Cody-like pattern. I don't think Terry has any more upside than what we have seen, is a servicable back-up if he can stay healthy.
    Hale looks lunchpail, works hard, hangs around because of some versatility but I've heard no raves.
    Felix is the wild card, I can see him ending up with a roster spot as back up center who also should be able to fill in at guard.

Still pondering why we offered Pace a contract when all I heard was Willie was in our plans until he announced retirement.
    Appears there is something either FO is not happy with or could be just a desire to upgrade. But Pace? that was a stop-gap at best if it happened and why would we want a stop-gap? Unless there is an injury concern or another problem that we are not hearing about yet (wife beating, drugs, gambling... who knows, impossible to speculate anything specific).

All I can say is the axiom "where there is smoke, there is fire" and the activity I'm hearing has me sniffing the air asking "is that smoke I'm smelling?"

We were talking to Marvel Smith long before Oher was in the picture (and Anderson out). Maybe in the future something will come out (like Chester Taylor nightclubbing long after we didn't match), just as of now I'm still a little puzzled.

I think it was obvious that even if healthy Anderson and Terry cold not block Woodley 1 on 1, and neither one of them was healthy. I think Anderson was going to get cut for cap reasons even if he had not retired, and Marvel Smith and Pace were short term options for a team ready to condend but in need of better Rt play.

Last year also showed how vunerable the big lubmering RT types are to freak injury. Guys just falling on them from behind and they go down. I hated playing O line in HS (other than trap blocks) because the pile always falls on the back of your legs and if like me you have big feet, you sprain your ankle almost every day even if taped up tight. I spent a lot less time with my feet in the ice bucket when I stuck to DE only. The Ravens need young
    o line guys ready to step in from the P squad and bench over street vets who are really fat like Big Willy and Chad Slaughter.

11. Re: Some thoughts

regarding hale:

"In the same season where the Ravens added a new center in Matt Birk, they might have found new backup at that position.

During the offseason, David Hale is making the switch from a tackle in college to a center in the NFL. Hale, a fourth-round pick in 2008, has been working with the second-team offense in minicamps.

“He’s been attached to Birk the entire offseason,” coach John Harbaugh said recently.

Offensive coordinator Cam Cameron seems to prefer more upright centers. Birk is 6 feet 4, and Hale is 6-6.

Last season, Jason Brown started at center for the Ravens, and Chris Chester and Marshal Yanda both took snaps at center during training camp."

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/spor...sive_line.html