Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saturday Mini-Camp Notes & Observations

Some notes and observations from a relatively uneventful day at the Ravens mandatory mini-camp…Ray Lewis looks like he’s added even more muscle to his torso…MORE HERE

Re: Mini-Camp Notes & Observations

Nice. Next time can u pull a nestor and turn your cell into a web cam?

How is Ray possibly more huge than last year? That sounds like trouble for text messengers. He is going to blow the doors off any back that wanders into the middle. Even if he takes a little longer to get to the side lines now, he is a lot more trouble when he gets there than he used to be when he was flattening the bus and eddie in the flats.

I am less concerned about Ray putting some muscle than the Wrs, and what kind of shape are the rookies and returning young guys looking like. Cousins, Barnes, Sypnewski, Figurs, what does Oher look like, how built/ flabby/ fluid.

I like hearing Figurs made a great hands catch. If he can catch the ball, he can run fast and far enough that the defense will not get a chance to hit him. WR is a lot different than returner, and even if you go accross the middle and take a big hit, it is not nearly the same as getting crushed head on on a kick coverage. If he can develop as a 4th WR that can stretch the D as well as run reverses and bubble screens, we should have a complete Wr group even if we do not have any complete Wrs.
    Last edited by Jeremiah W; 05-09-2009 at 02:47 PM.

Re: Mini-Camp Notes & Observations

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    Nice. Next time can u pull a nestor and turn your cell into a web cam?

How is Ray possibly more huge than last year? That sounds like trouble for text messengers. He is going to blow the doors off any back that wanders into the middle. Even if he takes a little longer to get to the side lines now, he is a lot more trouble when he gets there than he used to be when he was flattening the bus and eddie in the flats.

I am less concerned about Ray putting some muscle than the Wrs, and what kind of shape are the rookies and returning young guys looking like. Cousins, Barnes, Sypnewski, Figurs, what does Oher look like, how built/ flabby/ fluid.

I like hearing Figurs made a great hands catch. If he can catch the ball, he can run fast and far enough that the defense will not get a chance to hit him. WR is a lot different than returner, and even if you go accross the middle and take a big hit, it is not nearly the same as getting crushed head on on a kick coverage. If he can develop as a 4th WR that can stretch the D as well as run reverses and bubble screens, we should have a complete Wr group even if we do not have any complete Wrs.

I haven't given up hope on Figurs yet. We knew he was project with raw speed coming in. However, he needs to show what he can do in this preseason or he's gonna be outta here. I'd be really surpised if we stuck with him another year without him showing some real production this preseason.

Re: Saturday Mini-Camp Notes & Observations

Nice to hear about Figurs. His only hope now is to be just a receiver that can stretch the defense. He can be put on the outside in the four wide, but this is all contingent on Marcus Smith & DeWill which I think if both healthy are the #3 & 4. Who knows maybe Cam has a five wide package, but I'm sure a TE like Heap or LJ will make it on the field before Figures. There is an unbelievable amount of competition at the WR position this year which will (in my hopes) create a good receiver out of the youngsters who make the team. Maybe this is why a receiver was not taken in the draft this year. I sort of like it like this. Hunger to be great is the driver and we have a QB so this is not a graveyard for WR anymore like the old days.

Two things I love to hear...
    Demetrius gaining 15lbs in the weight room! If he can play at 6'2" 210lbs or so, with his length, hands, and flexibility, he's on his way to stardom. Our triplets complete. I'm a huge D. Williams fan. His injuries have been disappointing and the offense has missed him.

Hearing that Marcus Smith has looked good. He's got a year of top notch coaching under his belt. Remember, the guy was a RB until his final 2 years in college. In the old New Mexico games I've been able to see, he displayed some very A. Boldin-like abilities: soft hands, good functional speed, strong RAC; and, I was in the elevator with him at the Hyatt before the Jax game and the dude is thick.

My fingers are crossed on Figurs. He's got as much speed as the coveted DHB, no worse/perhaps better (?) hands, and should be improving from 3 yrs of coaching. We'll see. I hope to hear more about Harper & Wheelright.

As much as I had WR fantasies before the draft, I was psyched that OZ didn't draft a WR. Showed that he knows something that the pundits and the fans don't. He made not hit on every pick, but he always, without fail, knows the state of the roster. I know it's early, but the fact that anyone is reading this right now indicates that you are as enthusiastic as I am about The Ravens. I am friggin'excited. The dynasty is upon us.

Just a theory on Figurs...watching him in OTA's and during camp, he plays with more confidence and my guess is that he knows in the back of his mind that no one will lay him out and that game speed physicality isn't part of practice.

But when the prime time lights are queued up, he opts for the fetal position to that of WR or KR. I hopeful that things will change for him...he's a good kid. I'm not holding my breath though...

Saw some very limited film of Paul Kruger hitting the sled and running drills. He looked good: quick although maybe not the strongest player I've ever seen...

Take this for what it's worth: practically nothing. LOL. But thought I'd share.

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    Just a theory on Figurs...watching him in OTA's and during camp, he plays with more confidence and my guess is that he knows in the back of his mind that no one will lay him out and that game speed physicality isn't part of practice.

But when the prime time lights are queued up, he opts for the fetal position to that of WR or KR. I hopeful that things will change for him...he's a good kid. I'm not holding my breath though...
    This is what I think of the guy. That, plus he's really not very good. His routes are pathetic...practically the only time he's open is when a defense leaves him completely uncovered. The speed argument is garbage. Plenty of teams have tried track runners...it just doesn't work.

I like Marcus Smith's potential. I really hope the kid breaks out in a big way. He's raw, but the talent is certainly there. I can't hold my breath...the guy got what, like 4 catches last year? But he looks to me like he gets open and I like what I'm hearing about the kid. Hopefully he's the answer, though obviously that can't be counted on.

DWill...well, if he just shows up, that'd be an improvement.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

I haven't really seen Figurs run routes. He hasn't been in the lineup often enough for me to get a good look at him at a WR. When he is the camera usually doesnt' follow him.

I like what I've heard of Marcus Smith a lot so far. Again, I haven't had the time or luck to see him in action yet.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    This is what I think of the guy. That, plus he's really not very good. His routes are pathetic...practically the only time he's open is when a defense leaves him completely uncovered. The speed argument is garbage. Plenty of teams have tried track runners...it just doesn't work.

I like Marcus Smith's potential. I really hope the kid breaks out in a big way. He's raw, but the talent is certainly there. I can't hold my breath...the guy got what, like 4 catches last year? But he looks to me like he gets open and I like what I'm hearing about the kid. Hopefully he's the answer, though obviously that can't be counted on.

DWill...well, if he just shows up, that'd be an improvement.

- C -
    Actually, he caught exactly zero balls last year.

After Demetrius Williams went down the only other WR to register a catch from week 10 on throughout the regular season and post season was Figurs (and that was in week 11).

PP

Bruce Cunningham said that Kelly Washington was catching everything and looked like a man that was playing for a spot on this team. he said that Washington told him he does not want to sign with the Skins and Washington wants to play here.

Cunningham also said that the kickers were not kicking field goals when he was asked about accuracy of Gano. but you are saying that the Gano was very accurate and was, in fact, kicking field goals.

who do i believe???? this is such a tough one.

also, a little story. Bruce said that Gano was kicking the ball to the 7 yard line repeatedly on kickoffs. Bruce said out loud "no big deal, Stover could do that" (Stover barely made the 15) to which a cameraman standing nearby told Bruce "look where he is kicking from" and Gano was kicking from the 20 yard line.
    I live vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Actually, he caught exactly zero balls last year.

After Demetrius Williams went down the only other WR to register a catch from week 10 on throughout the regular season and post season was Figurs (and that was in week 11).

PP
    I thought Mason and Clayton had a few after week 10.

Yeah, I looked up Smith's catches and saw they were zero. I think I'm remembering "times thrown at"... Not sure how I knew that, I think someone may have told me at some point but can't remember who or when or where.

We need a break-out player. I sort of think Mason is gonna have a production decline this year if for no other reason than for injury time missed (he's old and getting hurt more easily). Clayton I don't think is that guy...he is what he is. We need one of these young guys to step up. If Clayton or Mason miss significant time, our WR corps looks pretty awful right now...

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid