Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sleeping with the Enemy.

My hatred for Pittsburgh is as deep as any other Ravens fan that bleeds purple. However, most of my hatred is for the team and the organization itself, not with the individual players (except Hines Ward, I'd hate him even if he were on our team). Granted, I hate it when Big Ben is in the zone when he's playing us, but I don't hate HIM personally. The same goes for most of the players. That being said, when the opportunity comes along to sign a Steeler, should we jump on it?

As much as I HATE the Steelers, I think that Larry Foote is a great ILB and would be a nice addition to our team in the absence of Bart Scott. I know that Tavares Gooden and/or Jason Phillips are the future of that position, but signing a veteran like Foote to play next to Ray for the next year or two is good business, in my opinion. I'm not talking about breaking the bank for him or anything like that or signing him to a ridiculously long contract. He'll be 29 next month but probably has a solid 3 or 4 years left in the tank. Would you be opposed to signing him to a 3 year deal, and then cutting him after a season or two if the youngins are coming along and ready to replace him?

What are your thoughts?

Re: Sleeping with the Enemy.

I don't really have any problems with Larry Foote. And like you, I hate the team and organization as well.

I say, if he could help us...sign him. If he benefits us against the Steelers at all during the season, I think that would be hilarious.
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis

No room for him with the drafting of Phillips.

He would want to start as well,and will go to a team that will give him that opportunity and pay him accordingly.

I agree. I say we pass and throw some youth at the position. That's really the only up for grabs starting job on the roster. K as well I guess. I suppose Landry has a bit of competition adn Eolle has a chance to start, but Bart's job is a pretty solid tossup, with a solid ammount of competition.
    I think it's Taveres Gooden's job to lose, with his beggest competition surprisingly coming from Ayanbadejo. McClain, Barnes and Jones are more likely to remain edge rushers, and Phillips will have some work ahead of him to catcdh up with the speed of the game. It's a good competition in general, I think between those 6 guys we should have at least two good players for that position, and probably two more pushng JJ. I'm not sure I see a true differnece maker in the bunch, but I think they are hte type of guys that can be versatile pieces in a dominant defense.

A few things to remember about Larry Foote ...

- He used to come off the field on 3rd down for the Steelers. Timmons and Farrior played ILB in most passing situations. He wasn't much of a blitzer / wasn't very good in coverage. These are the area's we will likely miss Bart the most.

- We current have zero cap space. Just signing our rookies will probably force us to make some type of cap move (ie: restructure someone, cut someone, extend Suggs). I don't know what Foote will be looking for in a contract, but I doubt it would be what we can afford (minimum salaries with next to no bonus).

If Foote were in an open competition with Gooden, Ayanbadejo, and McClain for ILB, I think he would ultimately win. But when you consider the cap implication, his weaknesses in our areas of need, and our overall depth at the postion, I doubt we give him much of a second thought.

You want to sleep with Larry Foote???

NTTAWWT...

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

I'd rather sign Pittsburgh's Larry Foote than sleep with any of Pittsburgh's Hairy Boote(y)

Blog Entries

I'm fairly sure we don't have the cap space, and I think Gooden or Philips would be good enough to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by the_scarecrow3 View Post
    My hatred for Pittsburgh is as deep as any other Ravens fan that bleeds purple. However, most of my hatred is for the team and the organization itself, not with the individual players (except Hines Ward, I'd hate him even if he were on our team). Granted, I hate it when Big Ben is in the zone when he's playing us, but I don't hate HIM personally. The same goes for most of the players. That being said, when the opportunity comes along to sign a Steeler, should we jump on it?

As much as I HATE the Steelers, I think that Larry Foote is a great ILB and would be a nice addition to our team in the absence of Bart Scott. I know that Tavares Gooden and/or Jason Phillips are the future of that position, but signing a veteran like Foote to play next to Ray for the next year or two is good business, in my opinion. I'm not talking about breaking the bank for him or anything like that or signing him to a ridiculously long contract. He'll be 29 next month but probably has a solid 3 or 4 years left in the tank. Would you be opposed to signing him to a 3 year deal, and then cutting him after a season or two if the youngins are coming along and ready to replace him?

What are your thoughts?
    I thought you were going to tell us you're dating a Steelers fan!

And Foote just signed with Detroit.

I once dated this hot chick in San Diego for a month, but cut off our brief fling immediately after she sent me a picture of herself in an oversized Joey Porter jersey (that's all she was wearing).

Needless to say, I deleted that blasphemous photo from my celly and my attraction to her was reduced to nada.

I'm sure that she's still wondering what she did wrong...

Did you at least bang her, first?

Far better would have been to take her to a nice, romantic dinner, bang the ever-loving hell out of her, tell her you love her and think you're falling for her, and then disappear in the middle of the night and change all your numbers.

Now THAT would be playa!

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Did you at least bang her, first?

Far better would have been to take her to a nice, romantic dinner, bang the ever-loving hell out of her, tell her you love her and think you're falling for her, and then disappear in the middle of the night and change all your numbers.

Now THAT would be playa!

- C -
    You know, I actually thought about doing just that, but then I realized that if I acidentally got her pregnant, I'd have to do a stretch in San Quentin for dumping her lifeless body into the San Diego Harbor for attempting to turn my kid into a Stoolers fan.

Much safer to not risk filling the gene pool with her contaminated DNA.