James Harrison's Extension Done

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4064291

Steeler sack master, reining NFL DPOY, and general thorn in our side, James Harrison has agreed to a contract extension with the Steelers.

6 yrs. $51.175 million total. $20 milliion "in bonuses" (no word yet on bonus structure).

At first glance, that is about $10 MM less than Freeney and Jared Allen in bonus money. It has been strongly rumored that Suggs has been seeking Freeney money. Even though Harrison is 30 years old while Suggs is only 26, this contract should ultimately bring some leverage back our way.

Re: James Harrison's Extension Done

Maybe he will stop taking Steroids now that he got paid.
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

3. Re: James Harrison's Extension Done

good, hes getting old and that's a good chunk of money. less money for them to use elsewhere...

Blog Entries

does anyone know if he ever got fined for punching the cardinals player twice and pretty much choke slamming him in the super bowl?

Congrats, they just overpaid for what is historically for their team is a player who got #'s b/c of the system. They could have put just about any average player on his side and he would have been servicable b/c of Dick Lambeau's scheme. I'm not saying that he doesn't deserves this contract b/c anything that takes money out of the Steelers pocket is good for us, but he is 30. How old was Porter when he left? Even though he rubbed the team the wrong way. How many LB's have been in that spot over the years for them and have gotten pretty good #'s off the edge? I swear he always gets a clean blitz of the edge to get those sacks when I've watched him and that is a product of the system, not the player. There are ten other guys that make those sacks happen for Harrison. Now lets sit back and watch a former practice squad guy get fat with complacency like some many do or a first round pick who just got his big pay day. The Steelers just broke thier own rules on how they pay players, but I guess they grade Harrison like they would a rush DE which is an important position to build a team. Hope it brings the Steelers down from the inside.

More details continue to trickle out. From Post-Gazette:
    $10 million signing bonus
    $6.2 million cap number in 2009

No further clarification of the other "bonus" money.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09105/962884-66.stm

Roids.