Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Sun:Ravens will franchise AD

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Well, it's not what AD wants. AD, like all other top-shelf FAs, doesn't want big weekly checks. He wants a seven-figure signing bonus. Why do people keep forgetting this?
    I didn't forget, it's a compromise that could easily work in AD's favor. Now next year, when negotiating (with whomever) for his next contract, his salary will be the franchise salary, not the relative peanuts he's making now.

From the business side, it's not all doom and gloom for AD. There is an upside for him, though as you say it's not the upside he was hoping for.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

This will mean some major restructuring of contracts to create that cap space. There was a report last month that we were $5.7M under the cap for next year - but that only covers the 38 players under contract for next year. That was also before Suggs hit his $5M escalator.

Releasing Jamal will save them around $8M in cap space, but they still have RFAs and EFAs to tender, which will eat up a sizeable amount of that $8M. They also have to re-sign a couple of other guys and have space to sign their draft picks.

Flynn, Vincent and Mulitalo are all liable to be asked to take a paycut or face being cut.

After that, they will have to look to restructure other deals to get the necesssary space to do all of the above. Thankfully, they haven't had to do so until now, so their cap is relatively clean at this point - but it will make the inevitable cap purge (2009 range) hurt a little more.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    There's nothing that's bad faith about using all the leverage available to the team in negotiations. Using the tag is a legitimate owners' right - just like it's Thomas' right to sit out the season if he doesn't like the tag.

Note: I didn't read anything in the Sun article that was as definitive as this thread, i.e. it did not state that "Ravens will franchise AD"; rather it stated:

Hopefully, where there's smoke, there's fire, and the Ravens will bring the hammer down on Thomas' agent if a reasonable deal cannot be struck. Thomas has become our best player.
    When I started this thread last night there was a different story up. It stated specifically that Ozzie was prepared to use the Franchise tag on AD if he had too. That's what Jamison said he was told by Ozzie. Then the full article gets written and now Jamison is predicting the tag. Why the change? I don't know.
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.

Firstly, I find it hard to sympathise with millionaire players that want to be billionaire players. On the other hand, It's human nature to grab whatever you can out of life. It's all about money.

The bad news: We may either lose AD, or have him steamed about being franchised.

THE GOOD NEWS: We have three or four tweeners that can play OLB. Our depth is fine.

The even gooder news: A hundred years from now it won't mean shit. Think long-term. :)
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Ravor, I've heard there's a good chance that we'll see another significant bump in the cap this year. I wonder if the Ravens (if they are planning on using the tag on AD) have some advance knowledge on just how big the bump will be and thus that could be why they would be making this move.

I saw the originial article that was posted and it did have Hensley quoting the whole unnamed source saying that the Ravens were prepared to use the tag if necessary to keep AD. Like Sephy, I was actually surprised when I saw that.

Quote Originally Posted by HDDream View Post
    Ravor, I've heard there's a good chance that we'll see another significant bump in the cap this year. I wonder if the Ravens (if they are planning on using the tag on AD) have some advance knowledge on just how big the bump will be and thus that could be why they would be making this move.
    Could be, but everything I've seen says the salary cap for 2007 shall be $109M.

http://www.nflpa.org/pdfs/CBA/2006_C...Term_Sheet.pdf

It seems that credits and adjustments will affect the 2008 cap and thereafter (although perhaps the actual CBA says more about 2007 - but I'm not going to waste my time going through that :D )
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Well, I'll take your word on that. You have a pretty good record. :D

I'll say this much, if AD gets tagged, you can all but say goodbye to Jamal.

Wink Re: Sun:Ravens will franchise AD

Quote Originally Posted by F Angelos View Post
    When I started this thread last night there was a different story up. It stated specifically that Ozzie was prepared to use the Franchise tag on AD if he had too. That's what Jamison said he was told by Ozzie. Then the full article gets written and now Jamison is predicting the tag. Why the change? I don't know.
    Some intrigue going on here. Whether or not this is a solid story, I'm glad to see that our FO is at least thinking about threatening to tag him.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I can not imagine we franchise him...I don't know what the cap #s are but I imagine he would not be worth the salary of the top few players.
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    I can not imagine we franchise him...I don't know what the cap #s are but I imagine he would not be worth the salary of the top few players.
    Maybe the franchise tag is a good sign that we are making progress on a long term deal. I doubt they would just franchise AD and:

1. Take such a major hit on the current cap.

2. Totally piss off AD.

It seems our offseason, draft notwithstanding, will be dedicated to our own guys: New deals/restructured deals for AD, Suggs, Flynn, Jamal, Ray, Rolle, Mulitalo, and maybe even JO, if he returns.

Vincent is history and if Jamal returns, so is MA.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!