Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

The 'Teleprompter' President

Analysis: Teleprompter telegraphs Obama caution

WASHINGTON (AP) — What kind of politician brings a teleprompter to a news conference?

A careful one.

President Barack Obama took no chances in his second prime-time news conference, reading a prepared statement in which he took both sides of the AIG bonus brouhaha and asked an anxious nation for its patience.

"There are no quick fixes," he said, "and there are no silver bullets."

It's an interesting dichotomy: Obama came before the nation to sell one of the most expensive and politically risky agendas ever offered by a U.S. president, but his language was heavy with caution. A hard-willed plan given a soft sell.

Served up opportunities to lead with his heart, Obama was cerebral. Cool and calming in a time of white-hot public anger.

"You know, there was a lot of outrage and finger-pointing last week, and much of it is understandable," Obama said of the bonus issue in his opening remarks. "I'm as angry as anybody about those bonuses that went to some of the very same individuals who brought our financial system to its knees."

"Bankers and executives on Wall Street need to realize that enriching themselves on the taxpayers' dime is inexcusable, that the days of outsized rewards and reckless speculation that puts us all at risk have to be over," the president told reporters and the nation.

But he didn't look angry. Nor did he sound much like a pitchfork-wielding populist.

"At the same time, the rest of us can't afford to demonize every investor or entrepreneur who seeks to make a profit. That drive is what has always fueled our prosperity, and it is what will ultimately get these banks lending and our economy moving once more," he said.

It was a carefully modulated statement, and Obama — relying on a familiar crutch — read it off a flat-screen monitor perched at the back of the East Room.

The teleprompter was no help during the question-and-answer session (reporters don't signal their intentions), but Obama was no less careful during that give and take.

Asked why people should trust government with the regulatory authority to take over failing financial companies such as troubled insurer American International Group Inc., Obama passed on the chance to demonize Washington.

"Keep in mind, it is precisely because of the lack of this authority that the AIG situation has gotten worse," Obama said. He then gave a scholarly explanation of how the proposal would work.

Pressed again, Obama cited the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation's handling of the IndyMac Bank as an example of government properly using its authority.

The government did something right? That's news to most Americans.

Still, it's hard to criticize Obama's communication skills or tactics. Polls show that while the public has turned against Washington and Wall Street, the president's ratings remain steady.

He has aggressively delivered his cautious message — through town halls, talk shows, travel and, yes, prime-time news conferences. His message: Stick with me and my $3.6 trillion budget.

"This is a big ocean liner, it's not a speedboat. It doesn't turn around immediately," he said Tuesday night. "But we're in a better, better place because of the decisions that we made."

Calm. Cool. Careful.

One of the few times he summoned raw emotion came after a reporter demanded to know why it took him so long to express outrage over the AIG executive bonuses.

"It took a couple of days because I like to know what I'm talking about before I speak."

Even better, he likes to have it up on the teleprompter.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...6tJLwD974P3SG0

Seriously?

This is what it has come to? If he is such a "smooth talker" and such a smart and articulate man, why does he have to read from a teleprompter? I guess the hundreds of "umm's" and "uhh's" during his interviews have annoyed Raum to the point that they've just decided to make him a robot. Whenever he speaks on his own, his true "smarts" are shown.

This guy is nothing but a scarecrow and has no substance whatsoever. He is a little better than Bush when allowed to speak on his own, but not by much.....

Re: The 'Teleprompter' President

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...6tJLwD974P3SG0

Seriously?

This is what it has come to? If he is such a "smooth talker" and such a smart and articulate man, why does he have to read from a teleprompter? I guess the hundreds of "umm's" and "uhh's" during his interviews have annoyed Raum to the point that they've just decided to make him a robot. Whenever he speaks on his own, his true "smarts" are shown.

This guy is nothing but a scarecrow and has no substance whatsoever. He is a little better than Bush when allowed to speak on his own, but not by much.....
    don't forget thay he smiles too much and is trying to do too many things at once! seriously what's next? maybe the winguttia will start complaining more about Michelle obama's garden in the white house lawn.

it nice that the concerns today are we have a president that has carefully crafted messages to the public instead of needlessly ruining other countries, carelessly killing innocent people, creating deficits that give the american people not a thing, ignoring healthcare and education and having no desire to change energy policy.

and you complain obama using a teleprompter??? can we be any smaller? really?

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    don't forget thay he smiles too much and is trying to do too many things at once! seriously what's next? maybe the winguttia will start complaining more about Michelle obama's garden in the white house lawn.

it nice that the concerns today are we have a president that has carefully crafted messages to the public instead of needlessly ruining other countries, carelessly killing innocent people, creating deficits that give the american people not a thing, ignoring healthcare and education and having no desire to change energy policy.

and you complain obama using a teleprompter??? can we be any smaller? really?
    Wow... you certainly are prone to Hyperbole.
    Bush's deficit creating spending is bad becuase it only benefits soldiers, and haliburton.
    Obama's is good becuase it benefits illegal alien road crew's, Acorn and a few polar bear exhibits, don't forget the ATV trails.
    Bush needlessly ruined other countries?
    Obama is intentionally ruining this one.
    Ye4ha, we all love Obama's energy Policy, just MORE TAX.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Ask the Iraqis if they would prefer that Hussein stayed in power. We didn't ruin Iraq. As for Afghanistan, the Taliban ruined that and we had to respond to the attack they allowed from their soil. Bush ruined no countries.

"Bankers and executives on Wall Street need to realize that enriching themselves on the taxpayers' dime is inexcusable, . . ."
    Exactly. That is the politicians' trough to feed at and they aren't about to share.

Blog Entries

it nice that the concerns today are we have a president that has carefully crafted messages to the public instead of needlessly ruining other countries, carelessly killing innocent people, creating deficits that give the american people not a thing,
    Really?....read what you just typed and ask yourself this: How are you gonna pay for the $10.8 Trillion that Obamessiah has spent during his short time in office? Remember, he and Geithner are controlling this "cruise ship" and trying to "turn it around".....they're in control and have nobody to blame but themselves if this ship hits the iceberg....which I don't think it will, despite their best efforts!

ignoring healthcare and education and having no desire to change energy policy.
    Money doesn't solve education problems. Money doesn't make kids do their homework or their parents give a shit about their children. A talk with a Baltimore City school teacher will tell you that.

Its not the governments job to provide full-coverage, adult health care. I have no problem helping children that are sick, but once you're 18 you're an adult and you should be able to take care of yourself. If you break your arm and go to the Emergency room, they'll fix you up and send you a bill. Whether or not you choose to pay it is up to you.

Like I said in another thread, nuclear is the way to go. He wishes to tax the coal industry out of existence, which would account for a few hundred thousand jobs. I've got no problem with solar or wind, but nobody wants to see either one in action from their back porch, which makes it hard to get personal or commercial permits in suburban areas.
    Last edited by 4G63; 03-25-2009 at 06:39 PM.

Money doesn't solve education problems. Money doesn't make kids do their homework or their parents give a shit about their children. A talk with a Baltimore City school teacher will tell you that.
    I would be more than happy to debate education reform with you. If you don't think funding is a huge problem, you are serioulsy mistaken. The whole reason NCLB hasn't worked is because of money and resources. I spent almost 10 years in public education...most of my friends and family are education-based. Yes, family life is a problem for many kids but that is poverty and lack of resources. Do you know any Baltimore City teachers?

Blog Entries

I would be more than happy to debate education reform with you. If you don't think funding is a huge problem, you are serioulsy mistaken. The whole reason NCLB hasn't worked is because of money and resources. I spent almost 10 years in public education...most of my friends and family are education-based. Yes, family life is a problem for many kids but that is poverty and lack of resources. Do you know any Baltimore City teachers?
    Actually yes, I know a BCity teacher, but I haven't talked to him in a few years. The school where he taught was decent, but he mentioned the lack of participation on most parents' part was sorely lacking.

I wish I could give you a link to show the differences between Balto Co and Balto City based on money spent per student. I realize that Balto Co has a much better tax revenue, but State and Federal funding to the City is much higher compared to all the counties in MD. Basically, like I said before, money (or lack thereof) isn't the whole reason for the failures of Balto City schools, as an active parent can make up for a lack of funding.

Did you happen to see the HBO documentary on Douglass High? It surely was an eye opener to me.....and not in a good way!

So, let me get this right... if the tax-base in your area is lower than, say Bryn Mawr... your children should NOT get the advantage of a good education?.. If schools in your area are falling down around you this should be okay? Now THAT"S NOT the principles this country was founded on. Life liberty and the pursuit of happiness ....... for ALL!!!!, not the priviledged.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rochardrik View Post
    So, let me get this right... if the tax-base in your area is lower than, say Bryn Mawr... your children should NOT get the advantage of a good education?.. If schools in your area are falling down around you this should be okay? Now THAT"S NOT the principles this country was founded on. Life liberty and the pursuit of happiness ....... for ALL!!!!, not the priviledged.
    No....its not proportionate. All kids are entitled to a good education and the kids that go to the high-rent private schools usually come from wealthy households where their parents are already paying a higher tax based on their assessment. If you were to look at what the average county dweller pays (% tax wise) vs what a city dweller pays, those numbers would astound you. Balto. City schools receive approximately 5x the state aid vs. the counties. My "5x" number may be slightly off, but that was my original point.

You can't argue the fact that an active parent determines the success of their child, regardless of income or socioeconomic status....

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Wow... you certainly are prone to Hyperbole.
    Bush's deficit creating spending is bad becuase it only benefits soldiers, and haliburton.
    Obama's is good becuase it benefits illegal alien road crew's, Acorn and a few polar bear exhibits, don't forget the ATV trails.
    Bush needlessly ruined other countries?
    Obama is intentionally ruining this one.
    Ye4ha, we all love Obama's energy Policy, just MORE TAX.
    Why didn't you mention the volcano studies? like the guv of Louisiana? We don't need to know anything more about volcanoes do we? who cares if the next one obliterates three cities and 50,000 people.
    Your trivialization, and simplification statements are obvious clues as to who you get your news from.
    When's the last time you saw alien road crews? My family owns a paving company here in Washington County. We do work on state roads, county roads, City roads, and private development. We have NO aliens working for us... neither do ANY of our competition. So, if'n ya don't know what you are talking about... don't talk about it... Kinda makes it obvious that you DO listen to those who don't know what they are talking about(The Rush Consortium), or you would'nt have spoke up about what you don't know about!

No, the only people that listen the the people you speak with are you and Galen. I can't say that i've heard more then 15 minutes of one of rush's shows.

No....its not proportionate. All kids are entitled to a good education and the kids that go to the high-rent private schools usually come from wealthy households where their parents are already paying a higher tax based on their assessment. If you were to look at what the average county dweller pays (% tax wise) vs what a city dweller pays, those numbers would astound you. Balto. City schools receive approximately 5x the state aid vs. the counties. My "5x" number may be slightly off, but that was my original point.

You can't argue the fact that an active parent determines the success of their child, regardless of income or socioeconomic status....
    It's a well known, studied fact that genius and intelligence does not necessarily follow family lines. Some really intelligent people come from the poorest of families... That potential should be overlooked? Because their parents do not pay enough taxes?