Receiving Threat with first two picks?

What does everyone think the Ravens will do with their first and second round draft picks? I know that Ozzie says best player available, but in this year's draft, the best players available for the first and second round could be a TE-WR or WR-WR combo. These two scenarios would also fill needs.

The Ravens already need a WR b/c it's a weakness of the team, but also b/c Clayton, Mason, and Williams are free agents after this year (i think). It's unlikely the Ravens would retain all of them or want to retain all of them. The only WR who is both young and under contract would be Marcus Smith, he of the no catches in his rookie year. This, and the where the talent is position-wise in this draft, leads me to believe that the Ravens could be in the market for receiving threats early, maybe with the first and second round draft choices.

However, Ozzie has proven that he won't draft or sign players, regardless of their proven ability, if he has younger talented players in the pipeline. See the Jim Leonard situation, with Landry, Zibby, and Heiroaheoiahbger (dude from Cinn.). See also Casey Rabach, with the Ravens already having committed longterm to Mike Flynn. So, this has me believing that they won't use the first two picks on receiving threats. He'll let Marcus Smith develop and probably retain someone from the Mason-Clayton-Williams trio.

Probably a bigger reason that the Ravens won't is the best player available approach factor. It's most likely that when the Ravens pick, there will be a better player available in either the first or second round that's not a receiving threat (TE or WR).

What's everyone's thoughts?

(sorry for the somewhat stream of consciousness thought process but I don't have the time to really read over and edit what I wrote. Hope it's somewhat intelligible.)

Re: Receiving Threat with first two picks?

If theres a player clearly ahead in their draft board ratings when they select, the Ravens will take that player ALMOST regardless of what postition he plays.

If it was, say a QB or some other position we really don't need, OZ will try to trade down a couple of spots in return for an extra pick in a later round.

If there is a WR available and he's equal (according to the Ravens board) to all the other players available, we'll grab him.

I don't think DHB is going to be around when we pick. Been saying that for the last month or so. Guys with his speed and size just don't last until the 26th-27th pick.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't be surprised to see Pettigrew fall to us in the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Pettigrew fall to us in the first.
    I'm starting to think it's possible, and I really don't see us passing either.

I like Pettigrew, but I have a feeling Philly at 21 or Atlanta at 24 may grab him. I'm thinking WR in the second. Oz will probably draft the best player available in the first. Whatever position that may be.

A DT could be a serious option with Gregg down
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    A DT could be a serious option with Gregg down
    I disagree, we were fine last year without him AND Edwards. Perhaps a day 2 guy, unless, perhaps Tyson Jackson falls and you also include 3-4 DE's as DT's, which isn'y far off.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I disagree, we were fine last year without him AND Edwards. Perhaps a day 2 guy, unless, perhaps Tyson Jackson falls and you also include 3-4 DE's as DT's, which isn'y far off.
    There is zero depth at DT or DE. Thats why I said in another post we are not bound to a WR in the 1st rnd. If we we somehow able to get a beast at DT can you imagine the inside force we would have along with Ngata..it could help our DB's immediately and immensely. If one of those guys do down....our DB's will suffer, pressure on the QB will suffer. Last year we needed that little extra push to get to Toothlisberger but did not have the push up the middle. We had pressure everywhere else. Just MHO
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    There is zero depth at DT or DE. Thats why I said in another post we are not bound to a WR in the 1st rnd. If we we somehow able to get a beast at DT can you imagine the inside force we would have along with Ngata..it could help our DB's immediately and immensely. If one of those guys do down....our DB's will suffer, pressure on the QB will suffer. Last year we needed that little extra push to get to Toothlisberger but did not have the push up the middle. We had pressure everywhere else. Just MHO
    I was hoping to get Ellis from USC with the #8 pick last year. There are some good pass rushing DTs in the draft, and could be the right player at the price of #26. Jerry, Jackson, or maybe a 2nd round guy. I love the Dts we have for run stopping, but none of them get good penetration on passing downs unless they use Pryce at DT.

Players should be taller and rangier to play in our D as a 3-4 DE, unless you are just a pursuit animal like Gregg. I was very against getting Ellis last year, he is a poor fit, IMO.

Ziggy Hood and Tyson Jackson are the best examples in this draft.

I wouldn't say we have zero depth either.

If we consider last years starters to be the starters again, our second wave is Gregg, McKinney and Edwards with Divens hanging around as well.

In that scenario, if it were up to me, the selection would be Tyson Jackson.