Think I got to homerish

I'm doing my online fantasy extended draft right now. I think I just fucked up and took Jamal with my third pick. Golden rule of fantasy is don't let your heart rule your head.

So far I have LT, Steve Smith and Jamal. Think I'll take a WR next, then a TE, as we have to play one.

So I'm riding with 31 this year. If he goes down with a knackered hip or has less than 900 yds rushing this year, you can blame me.

Re: Think I got to homerish

I've found that Jamal Lewis will comfortably last to the sixth or seventh round in most ten-team leagues. No one outside of Baltimore has a high opinion of him. I tend to get him happily as my top reserve; this gives me insurance in case he sucks, as I'll still have two good RBs in front of him. If he lights it up, I'll have a great rotation.

LT and Smith are great choices to start your draft.

As a follow up to above, we completed our draft today. And as I feel the need to display the finished article, it is:

QB: D McNabb, B Favre
    RB: L Tomlinson, J Lewis, F Taylor, V Morency
    WR: S Smith, H Ward, L Evans, E Kennison
    TE: T Heap, D Clark
    K: A Viniateri
    D/ST: Ravens

Plenty of kickers/D's left and figure I'll bring in performing units later for underpeforming back/WR.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Maybe a bit homerish with the defense pick too. What was left when you picked the Ravens? I'd say the Bears, Panthers, Steelers and maybe Bucs or Deadskins should be picked before us.

Here's my team. I'm pretty thin at RB, which has me a bit worried.

QB: D. McNabb, B. Roethlisberger
    RB: E. James, T. Bell, L. White, C. Benson
    WR: M. Harrison, TJ Houshmandzadeh, D. Stallworth, I. Bruce, A. Randel-El
    TE: J. Witten, J. Wiggins
    K: L. Tynes
    D/ST: Bucs
    Last edited by Losac; 09-06-2006 at 12:19 PM.

QB: D McNabb, B Favre
    RB: L Tomlinson, J Lewis, F Taylor, V Morency
    WR: S Smith, H Ward, L Evans, E Kennison
    TE: T Heap, D Clark
    K: A Viniateri
    D/ST: Ravens

McNabb is a fine starting QB, I don't like Favre as the backup, you can do better. Your RBs are thin, because Jamal has injury concerns and Fred Taylor rarely makes it through a season. Morency is the third back now in Houston, dump him. See if you can grab a rookie like Maroney or DeAngelo Williams as a reserve; if you have to go bargain-basement, I recommend Jerious Norwood of the Falcons. You have excellent starting receivers, though you'll suffer early because Smith and Ward both have hamstring issues. Kennison is decent as a backup; you may be able to find another guy for these first couple weeks to get you through. See if Greg Jennings or Troy Williamson is available, either could be a good play. Hard to do better with your TE, K, and D.

QB: D. McNabb, B. Roethlisberger
    RB: E. James, T. Bell, L. White, C. Benson
    WR: M. Harrison, TJ Houshmandzadeh, D. Stallworth, I. Bruce, A. Randel-El
    TE: J. Witten, J. Wiggins
    K: L. Tynes
    D/ST: Bucs

Ben is a terrific backup for McNabb, you're set there. Your RBs are unfortunately weak, since you have only one consistent starter. I'm not high on Edge this year, I don't think I have him in a single league. Tatum Bell is a platoon player, White may not see much time, and Benson is in the doghouse. Try to trade for a regular option. If you don't want to give up much, I recommend looking up who has Frank Gore and seeing if they'll part with him. Receivers are pretty solid, nothing special, but they'll get the job done. Witten is a fine TE, Wiggins a decent backup. Get Vernon Davis to replace him if no one else has. Tynes and the Bucs round out a decent squad. Your best bet might be to trade Ben, once he's healthy, for a lesser backup and a better RB... throw in one of your underachievers. Or you can deal out James and another RB for a better starting pair. Focus on someone who expects to get 75% or more of his team's carries, even if that player is Warrick Dunn or Kevin Jones. No one gets points when they're not on the field.