Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

AW-Lewis needs to come to grips with reality

Great article by AW..

http://www.ravens24x7.com/column_vie...0&view=archive

R. Lewis talks still in holding pattern ~ March 3, 2009

By:Aaron Wilson
    info@profootball24x7.com

OWINGS MILLS -- As the Baltimore Ravens continue to haggle with All-Pro middle linebacker Ray Lewis, sentiment continues to build in NFL circles that Lewis should come to grips with the reality that the high-profile bidding war he had envisioned isn't going to happen.

Lewis has received the silent treatment in free agency so far after declining to accept the Ravens' three-year, $24 million offer that includes $17 million in guaranteed money. And that situation doesn't figure to change as several teams have already filled openings for inside linebackers.

Lewis' top financial option remains re-signing with Baltimore.

"As a player of Ray's stature, you don't maintain a sense of reality," former NFL quarterback Joe Theismann said Monday in a telephone interview. "There are few places for him to go in the first place, economically. In Ray's situation, you look at some of the numbers that lesser known, less accomplished younger players are getting and you think, 'Why can't I get a piece of that?'

"In Ray's case, the reality is that there aren't a whole lot of options for him. The way you drive up the price is to have a lot of suitors for your talent. That's the only way to get that done is to negotiate with other teams. Truthfully, Ray Lewis has made more money than he can spend in his lifetime."

Against the advice of his former agents, Roosevelt Barnes and Eugene Parker, Lewis opted for a seven-year, $50 million contract extension in 2002 that was the richest defensive player contract in NFL history at the time. They advised Lewis, as did Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome, that the deal's status would have a short shelf life.

If Lewis, who turns 34 in May, had opted for a four-year contract or a five-year pact, he would have become an unrestricted free agent during his prime.

"It's not just a question of economics," Theismann said. "The numbers get skewed. Players think the numbers are equal to respect. I don't agree with that. I think numbers reflect market value. It's the free enterprise system. Free agency has always leaned toward youth."
    So how long will it take for Superman to come back to reality?

I say he milks it until Friday,but then FINALLY realizes what a lot have known for while now....he isnt in high(or any) demand at age 34.

Boy I would love to be a fly on that wall when he comes in to sign on the dotted line.
    Last edited by 52decleetzu; 03-03-2009 at 04:40 PM.

Re: AW-Lewis needs to come to grips with reality

Well, it's now 2:53pm on Tuesday and still no word from camp Lewis.

I'll ask again, people still think he really wants to come back to Baltimore? Looks to me like he's still holding out hope someone else will call him.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post

I'll ask again, people still think he really wants to come back to Baltimore? Looks to me like he's still holding out hope someone else will call him.
    Why wouldn't he hold out hope? I'm sure he doesn't want to take that big of a hit to his pride by coming back here...

Couldn't this have simply been added to one of the other 50 "Ray Lewis eats pancakes at IHOP with Adam Schefter" threads?

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post

I don't think it is about Baltimore. I think it is about pride, and $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswarrior19 View Post
    I don't think it is about Baltimore. I think it is about pride, and $$$.
    I think it's all about the $$$. Ray Lewis could absolutely be proud of coming back to the Ravens and fans and players would respect him wanting to finish his career here.

This is money, plain and simple. He is holding out hope another team calls.

Blog Entries

He is delusional....

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    He is delusional....
    And has been for some time.

Its like a sickness every legend gets at the end of their careers or something.

The more this thing plays out and the more articles, blogs and threads written about it the more it becomes clear that when the process is working in Ray's favor, "its business" and when it is not working in his favor it becomes personal for him.

Being of the sorts that Ray claims so many players come to him for counsel, he is unfortunately making a clown out of himself at this point. It's a shame to see it come to this for the face of our franchise. I wish he would sign for his guaranteed 17 mil and present an apology to Baltimore for his actions. I am sure everyone would forgive, forget and move on. I just don't see this happening at this point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    And has been for some time.

Its like a sickness every legend gets at the end of their careers or something.
    You'd have to be a very strong-willed and humble person to not have 10 years of being fellated by the media and a fanbase go to your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    The more this thing plays out and the more articles, blogs and threads written about it the more it becomes clear that when the process is working in Ray's favor, "its business" and when it is not working in his favor it becomes personal for him.

Being of the sorts that Ray claims so many players come to him for counsel, he is unfortunately making a clown out of himself at this point. It's a shame to see it come to this for the face of our franchise. I wish he would sign for his guaranteed 17 mil and present an apology to Baltimore for his actions. I am sure everyone would forgive, forget and move on. I just don't see this happening at this point.
    What buisiness is not personal? You have to be professional, but it is always personal, even if you are working a register or holding open a door for a living.

Why should he jump on the first offer he gets? Suggs did not sign his franchis tender until halfway through camp last year. Ray can take as much time as he wants to, the roster spot will still be here, even if the money is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    You'd have to be a very strong-willed and humble person to not have 10 years of being fellated by the media and a fanbase go to your head.
    Very true,although there are plenty of guys that have not let it go to their head like Ray has while being serviced by media on a regular basis.