Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leonhard Joins The Jets

LEONHARD JOINS THE JETS
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 3, 2009, 11:28 a.m. EST

Former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan continues to bring former players to his new team.

Alex Marvex of FOXSports.com reports that safety Jim Leonhard has struck a verbal agreement with the Jets.

Of course, a verbal agreement is roughly as enforceable as no agreement at all. But rarely if ever do these things fall through.

That said, it’s not unprecedented.
    Saw this coming...

(Waiting for the Leonhard lovers)

Re: Leonhard Joins The Jets

Verbal agreements - yep they are good as gold. Cooper Carlisle, Marcus Spears....

that said, I believe Jimmy is gone and should be. He helped us a lot but we have too much money and depth at safety to pay for him. Our needs are greater elsewhere.

Blog Entries

Verbal agreement is about as non-binding serious as it gets.
    Not set in stone, because it alerts other teams that now is the time to "sh*t or get off the pot", so something else can happen, but it better be quick (unless there is a failed physical).
    I read it as he is a Jet pending confirmation.
    Goodbye Jim and thanks. Feel free to stop back for crabcakes whenever you want.

A VERY underrated football player, who I think will be missed in the return game more than anything. His steadiness as a punt returner was a major asset for a team that had Yamon Figurs back there prior, and one that relied so much on field position and TOP last year.

As far as the Ravens' defense is concerned, I see a lot of Jim Leonhard in Haruki Nakamura, and with Zbikowski and Landry also in the fold, I have to think one will emerge as a more than adequate replacement opposite Ed Reed.

He should be a great fit next to Kerry Rhodes for the Jets. I wish him well.

Thanks for a great season Jimmy, go get that pay day!

Blog Entries

I guess the Jets upped the ante again. Good deal for him.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Sad to see him go, he was a great player last year. I was actually planning on trying to get his jersey for next season, but I guess not now.
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis

Thumbs down Re: Leonhard Joins The Jets

Another front office non-move that I am unhappy about. We have had many good safeties in Baltimore -- Leonhard's play in the money games was as good as any of them. If Ray Lewis is the "heart and soul" of the Defense, Jimmy Leonhard was the sparkplug of our punt return teams.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Another front office non-move that I am unhappy about. We have had many good safeties in Baltimore -- Leonhard's play in the money games was as good as any of them. If Ray Lewis is the "heart and soul" of the Defense, Jimmy Leonhard was the sparkplug of our punt return teams.
    You already have Landry, Nakamura and Zbikowski and Ozzie said Leonhard would have to compete for a starting job. You aren't going to pay top dollar starting safety money to him just to return punts.

Not so fast...

Apparently the Broncos aren't ready to just let him go to the Jets Without A Fight.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Nice...he won't be a Raven let's just say that. Thanks for the memories Jim!
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

It is making me sick how everyone is blaming Ozzie for this "non move" Ozzie found a diamond in the roof. He signed Leonhard to a one year try-out before last season. How could he have known what Leonhard wqas capable of. Ozzie already has four starter caliber safteys on the roster. We'll be ok. Leonhard will be good with another team. The biggest part of this is the fact he wore the green dot on him helmet and returned punts. Time to move up in the drqaft and draft Maclin. He's the preimere return specailist in the draft.