Ken Lucas on the trade block...

Looks like Carolina wanted to trade him to detroit,but Lucas said he didnt want to play there and nixed the deal...

Decent corner,extremely reliable(only missed 6 games in 8 years).

Probably would cost us a 4th rounder,maybe less with the Panthers cap situation.

Adam Schefter
    Lucas nixes deal to Detroit; could be cut
    Posted: February 26th, 2009 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Carolina Panthers, Ken Lucas

The NFL’s trading deadline begins Friday, though talks already have been in high gear.

The Panthers tried trading cornerback Ken Lucas to the Detroit Lions. Problem is, once the two sides were engaged in discussions, Lucas let it be known that he did not and would not play in Detroit. Thus, trade talks were abandoned even though some in the league thought the trade might go through.

The talks are an indication of what Carolina has in mind for Lucas, who is scheduled to make $5.6 million in base salary this season. If Carolina cuts Lucas this week, it will free up $2.375 million against its salary cap. For a team desperately searching for space, Lucas provides some of it.

Re: Ken Lucas on the trade block...

Is he tall enough?

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

yes, but when we absorb his contract, you can kiss almost a quarter of our cap space goodbye, and when we're already looking at Ray, Bart, etc being re-signed, good chance we're going to run out.

Unless Rolle frees up nearly that 5.6 mil in space, we don't go for it.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    yes, but when we absorb his contract, you can kiss almost a quarter of our cap space goodbye, and when we're already looking at Ray, Bart, etc being re-signed, good chance we're going to run out.

Unless Rolle frees up nearly that 5.6 mil in space, we don't go for it.
    True,but a modification of that deal would probably come with Lucas.Maybe a year extension or something to lessen the cap blow this year.

Let me ask this,Lucas or Rolle because it would be about the same money wise?

If we actually did it we would almost certainly offer him a new contract. His $5.6 M base salary is really meaningless to us.

I doubt we'd be interested in a trade with all the free agents available. If we do make a trade, it usually comes on or around draft day. At that point we have a better idea what our draft pick is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswarrior19 View Post
    If we actually did it we would almost certainly offer him a new contract. His $5.6 M base salary is really meaningless to us.

I doubt we'd be interested in a trade with all the free agents available. If we do make a trade, it usually comes on or around draft day. At that point we have a better idea what our draft pick is worth.
    Yeah it looks like they are gonna have to cut him anyway at this point.

7. Re: Ken Lucas on the trade block...

it wouldn't be a trade, they're going to cut lucas soon. he's decent, but he's also 30 and we're going to be getting ourselves into another situation like rolle where his body will start breaking down soon, but we still have to pay for him. do we really want to overpay in free agency for a 30 year old corner??