Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

End of the Patriots dynasty on the horizon?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...ripple-effect/

CASSEL COMMITMENT HAS RIPPLE EFFECT

Posted by Aaron Wilson on February 11, 2009, 1:13 p.m

The New England Patriots’ decision to use a $14.65 million franchise tag on quarterback Matt Cassel has left nose guard Vince Wilfork wondering about his future, according to the Boston Globe.

Scheduled to be a free agent in 2010 along with a whopping 21 other Patriots, including several starters, Wilfork is entering the final year of his six-year rookie contract and hasn’t heard from team officials.

“The ball is not in my court right now,” Wilfork said. “Nothing has happened. No progress has been made. I thought maybe there would be some sort of move forward, but everything is at a standstill.

“I’m sure they’ll do whatever they have to do. I have that last year, and I’m preparing to play and play well. It’s not going to change me. But they know the longer it takes the more it costs.”

Wilfork’s contract averages just $1.5 million per year, well below the excess of $5 million that fellow standout nose guards Casey Hampton and Kris Jenkins made last year. He’s scheduled to earn an $800,000 base salary in 2009.

Complicating the Patriots’ salary cap situation is the fact that they’re devoting $29.27 million in salary-cap room toward Cassel and Tom Brady.

Plus, per the Globe, the Patriots have $10.5 million in cap space devoted to wide receiver Randy Moss, $9.79 million to defensive end Richard Seymour, linebacker Adalius Thomas’ $6.4 million and the quarterbacks’ cap impact and it’s roughly $56 million or nearly half the salary cap spent on five players.

And the Patriots’ 2010 free agent class will be extremely hard to retain.

It’s a distinguished group that includes, in addition to Wilfork, offensive guards Logan Mankins and Stephen Neal, Seymour and Jarvis Green, tight ends Benjamin Watson and David Thomas, linebackers Tedy Bruschi and Mike Vrabel, running back Kevin Faulk, placekicker Stephen Gostkowski, and cornerback Ellis Hobbs.
    Wow 21 FA's.I dont think I have ever heard of a team having that many coming up for contracts at one time.Obviously they will resign some in between now and then,but thats still a LOT.

Either way with Belichek and Brady there I dont see them falling off anytime soon,but thats still quite a challenge to replace all those players throught the draft or FA.

Re: End of the Patriots dynasty on the horizon?

Plus they lost a GM and some coaches. They still have some great players, but they are going to have to rebuild almost the entire defense real soon. The O should be fine, and they should semi contend every year like Indy as long as Brady is there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    Plus they lost a GM and some coaches. They still have some great players, but they are going to have to rebuild almost the entire defense real soon. The O should be fine, and they should semi contend every year like Indy as long as Brady is there though.
    Agreed.

The defense could be a real problem for them very soon.

It will also be interesting to see how Brady looks. That wasn't just your every day clean ACL tear.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Agreed.

The defense could be a real problem for them very soon.

It will also be interesting to see how Brady looks. That wasn't just your every day clean ACL tear.

PP
    They have to lock up Wilfork soon,stud 3-4 NT are few and far between and he will get a monster offer if he is allowed to hit the market next year.

The dynasty in New England is over. Brady has that Culpepper injury. He wont be the same. Matt Cassel is a bank robber. He makes more than Brady next season. They will lose alot of players to free agency!

Regarding the Patriots: I thought Randy Moss was franchised last year, but don't recall them locking him up with a long term deal. Moss isn't listed as a soon-to-be FA. What's going on there?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenatic20 View Post
    Regarding the Patriots: I thought Randy Moss was franchised last year, but don't recall them locking him up with a long term deal. Moss isn't listed as a soon-to-be FA. What's going on there?
    He signed a ridiculously cheap extension last year ,far under market value.

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    He signed a ridiculously cheap extension last year ,far under market value.
    They put the money in a bag and dropped in on his doorstep, just like Mrs. B's shopping budget hopefully.

Blog Entries

If the Patriots were smart they would trade Cassell or Brady to a team that needs a QB and get some serious picks for them.

The 49ers, Rams, Lions, Bears, Vikings, Bucs, and even potentially the Titans could all be potential suitors for either player.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Hah, I'll believe it when I see it...I still remember the game last season

*shudder*

Quote Originally Posted by RavensInBrazil View Post
    Hah, I'll believe it when I see it...I still remember the game last season

*shudder*
    which game?

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    which game?
    I think he is talking about "last" last season when we played them.