Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How Long Before We Hear?

Besides Ray Lewis, we haven't heard anything about the other players and the status of their contracts. I am particularly interested in Jim Leonard, as I believe he really contributed to our team and is an exceptional player.

When are we going to hear?-- free agency starts Feb. 27th. You would think they would have signed at least 1 player by now.

Re: How Long Before We Hear?

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    Besides Ray Lewis, we haven't heard anything about the other players and the status of their contracts. I am particularly interested in Jim Leonard, as I believe he really contributed to our team and is an exceptional player.

When are we going to hear?-- free agency starts Feb. 27th. You would think they would have signed at least 1 player by now.
    Leonard is a goner,we have too many bodies at safety as it is with Landry coming back and other pressing needs.Jim was a great role player for us,and will probably be the same for another team next year...possibly the Jets who have said they are interested.

We haven't heard of many UFAs signing with any of their home teams yet.

This will more than likely be a slow-developing free agent year, due to the uncertainty with the CBA, and the bad credit economy.

Leonard is a goner,we have too many bodies at safety as it is with Landry coming back and other pressing needs.Jim was a great role player for us,and will probably be the same for another team next year...possibly the Jets who have said they are interested.
    WHOA. Slow down.

We still don't know the full story with Landry. Who knows if he will ever be cleared to play.

Leonhard wasn't just a playmaking safety, he was the best return guy we had. If it were me, I would make a big push to keep this guy.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    I heard yesterday on the Bruce Cunningham Show that Landry's recovery was not going well. I don't know how much truth there is to that or what his source is, but it's not encouraging. Has anyone heard anything to this effect? That could definitely change the priority level of keeping Jim Leonhard.

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    WHOA. Slow down.

We still don't know the full story with Landry. Who knows if he will ever be cleared to play.

Leonhard wasn't just a playmaking safety, he was the best return guy we had. If it were me, I would make a big push to keep this guy.
    Even if Landry doesnt come back we just drafted 2 safeties last year in Zbikowski and Nakamura,Leonard is going to be the odd man out more than likely.Some other team will pay him and with our other needs safety is way dwon the list.

Also I would like for you to show me where it has been reported that Landry wasnt doing well and that his injury is 'career threatning because I havent heard that.Harbaugh as a matter of fact said in the press conference Gregg and Landry shoould both be ready to go and are on schedule.

Wink Re: How Long Before We Hear?

Even if Landry doesnt come back we just drafted 2 safeties last year in Zbikowski and Nakamura,Leonard is going to be the odd man out more than likely.Some other team will pay him and with our other needs safety is way dwon the list.
    I have to disagree. I think that safety is fairly high on the list, with Reed being one good hit from career-ender, and Landry's status in doubt. And Nakamura & Zbikowski showed little as back-up safeties. Nakamura must have led the team in missed tackles. Great potential or not, these guys are not ready.

Leonhard, on the other hand, was one of the brightest spots on Defense and Special Teams. Even if Landry were to come back at 100%, Leonhard could wind up keeping the job, and permit opening of a roster spot by cutting Figurs.

Also I would like for you to show me where it has been reported that Landry wasnt doing well and that his injury is 'career threatning because I havent heard that.
    I have seen this as well...... at least the first part (not doing well). Sorry, cannot provide you the reference.:(
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

"They still don't know how soon or how well Landry will come back from his injury. He has yet to be cleared by a doctor for any contact"

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...tory?track=rss

Thats all I can find...

I think you have to compare Leonard's value to that of Figurs on special teams, and not as a safety. He was signed to play special teams and back up at safety. If someone wants to pay him as a starting safety, they'll let him walk, I suspect. But if not, I think the team will give him an attractive offer as a special teams stand out.

I think Jim is 99% gone. Even if he was willing to take less than starter money to stay, they are going to run out of roster spots. Teams do not normally carry 5 safties, and they could get a guy who play CB like Justin Miller or someone for less money to return kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I think Jim is 99% gone. Even if he was willing to take less than starter money to stay, they are going to run out of roster spots. Teams do not normally carry 5 safties, and they could get a guy who play CB like Justin Miller or someone for less money to return kicks.
    Uh, if Jim Leonhard leaves it won't be because of roster spots, it will be because of money.

You're telling me if he were to re-sign for a good price that he'd have to fight for a roster spot?

The guy was a very valuable player to this team last season. Both rookie safeties are WAY behind him on the depth chart if he re-signs.

Who do you think takes a roster space away from him?

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Uh, if Jim Leonhard leaves it won't be because of roster spots, it will be because of money.

You're telling me if he were to re-sign for a good price that he'd have to fight for a roster spot?

The guy was a very valuable player to this team last season. Both rookie safeties are WAY behind him on the depth chart if he re-signs.

Who do you think takes a roster space away from him?

PP
    they are not going to pay him and cut Haruki. It is much more likley that they draft another guy than pay him as a free agent. He was and still is ahead of Zibs and Haruki on the depth chart, but that is not the same as the GM value board, even if Jim is the right player, I can not see him coming back for the right price. Why should he? The Cowboys are most likley going to cut SS Roy Williams because he could not cover, and Jim Leonard would be a nice replacement. Maybe the Raiders sign him to start at FS for Huff. there are too many teams including NE that need a starting saftey for him to come back and possibly be a sub and special team player.