Recent history of first round Cornerbacks

2008 - Cornerbacks

1 11 Leodis McKelvin Troy State Buffalo Bills
    1 16 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Tenn. State Arizona Cardinals
    1 20 Aqib Talib Kansas Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    1 25 Mike Jenkins South Florida Dallas Cowboys
    1 27 Antoine Cason Arizona San Diego Chargers

Really too early to tell on these guys,but every single one of them has been "successful" in their rookie years so to speak.4 are starters already and in that other CB ranking are at the top,and jwenkins was blocked so to speak in Dallas but played decent when he got the chance.

Looking like minimum 4 out of 5 good picks here.

2007 - Cornerbacks

1 14 Darrelle Revis Pittsburgh New York Jets
    1 18 Leon Hall Michigan Cincinnati Bengals
    1 20 Aaron Ross Texas New York Giants

Revis is a stud,so are Hall and Ross and are all starters right now.

3 for 3 its looking like this year.

2006 - Cornerbacks

1 15 Tye Hill Clemson St. Louis Rams
    1 19 Antonio Cromartie Florida State San Diego Chargers
    1 24 Johnathan Joseph South Carolina Cincinnati Bengals
    1 31 Kelly Jennings Miami (Fla.) Seattle Seahawks

Cromartie had somewhat of a sophmore slump,Joseph and Jennings are both good starters.Tye Hill I has been horrible and is on his way to bust status if he isnt there already.

3 of 4 successful

2005 - Cornerbacks

1 6 Pacman Jones West Virginia Tennessee Titans
    1 23 Fabian Washington Nebraska Oakland Raiders

Fabian a servicable #1a or 2,and we all know the story with Pacman.he was a great player until he started running with the gangsters.

1 of 2 successful

2004 - Cornerbacks

1 8 DeAngelo Hall Virginia Tech Atlanta Falcons
    1 10 Dunta Robinson South Carolina Houston Texans
    1 25 Ahmad Carroll Arkansas Green Bay Packers
    1 28 Chris Gamble Ohio State Carolina Panthers

Gamble just got locked up for huge money,Robinson has had some injury issues but has been a starter when healthy,Carrol was a flat out bust,and the Skins are deciding whether to give Hall a big extension.

3 out of 4 successful

2003 - Cornerbacks

1 5 Terence Newman Kansas State Dallas Cowboys
    1 11 Marcus Trufant Washington State Seattle Seahawks
    1 28 Andre Woolfolk Oklahoma Tennessee Titans
    1 30 Sammy Davis Texas A&M San Diego Chargers

1 31 Nnamdi Asomugha California Oakland Raiders

Newman has had some injuries of late but has been a starter since he was drafted,Trufant is a starter and their #1 corner,Woolfork complete bust.Sammy Davis same thing,Asomugha is argualbly the best corner in the league.

3 out of 5 successful picks.

2002 - Cornerbacks

1 17 Phillip Buchanon Miami (Fla.) Oakland Raiders
    1 26 Lito Sheppard Florida Philadelphia Eagles

Shepard was a starter and would start on many teams,but got bumped by Samuel last year.Buchanon has benn decent but nothing to write home about.

We'll call it 1 of 2 this year.

2001 - Cornerbacks

1 21 Nate Clements Ohio State Buffalo Bills
    1 22 Will Allen Syracuse New York Giants
    1 24 Willie Middlebrooks Minnesota Denver Broncos

Clements the only solid pick here.Middlebrooks was a bust,and Allen has been average and is the number 1 CB in Miami right now.

2 out of 3 good solid picks.

By my figures thats about a 72% success rate,which is almost impossible to get in the draft at ANY position.Most of the time it is a 50/50 split no matter what position you look at,with it obviosly varying a little bit but ends up at about that % over the course of 7-8 years or so.

Not only are these guys good players,they did it from Day 1 in most cases,and didnt need time to "develop" like a lot of the other positions do.Hell it takes some WR 2-3 years to start playing up to their capabilities,I might go look at that position in depth next just to see.

This hsould make it a no brainer as to which direction we go,but you never know with Ozzie.Either way I trust him to make another great late 1st round pick,but with our needs and the track record of the corners drafted recently it seems to me that corner is the way to go hands down.

Re: Recent history of first round Cornerbacks

It is a lot harder to scout Wrs than Cbs. A Cb in college is going to do the same thing as a pro CB just against tougher comp. A Wr has a lot more to learn about pro scheme, timing and reading coverage the same way the Qb does. The Cb only basically has to learn 3 coverages and he can either do it physically or he can not.

There are a lot of starters drafted in round 1, but few guys that have become dominant players. Most of those guys would struggle to cover Mason 1 on 1. It is generally a safe pick, but there is only one guy on this list that the Ravens really messed up by passing on, and no one knew Asomogha would be this good when he was drafted.

The WRs taken in round 1 have more risk but also more potential reward. None of these guys is shutting down an all pro Wr one on one, but it is nice to not have to double team all the time. The Ravens have passed on a lot of good Cbs in the first round, but I think they feel the free agent corners are just as safe and a much better price.

Correct me if i'm wrong but we didn't have a 1st pick in '03 right?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel#52 View Post
    Correct me if i'm wrong but we didn't have a 1st pick in '03 right?
    No that was 2004,in 2003 we took Suggs in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    No that was 2004,in 2003 we took Suggs in the first round.
    Don't forget who we also took....................

:)

PP

It is a lot harder to scout Wrs than Cbs. A Cb in college is going to do the same thing as a pro CB just against tougher comp. A Wr has a lot more to learn about pro scheme, timing and reading coverage the same way the Qb does. The Cb only basically has to learn 3 coverages and he can either do it physically or he can not.
    Absolutely,the CB position relies on flat out physical ability I would argue more than any other position and that seems to translate whether they are in college or the pros.

There are a lot of starters drafted in round 1, but few guys that have become dominant players. Most of those guys would struggle to cover Mason 1 on 1. It is generally a safe pick, but there is only one guy on this list that the Ravens really messed up by passing on, and no one knew Asomogha would be this good when he was drafted.
    Im not really following you here,there are plenty on that list that are flat out studs,and if you look at the overall CB rankings in that other thread it is LOADED with young guys at the very top.

The WRs taken in round 1 have more risk but also more potential reward. None of these guys is shutting down an all pro Wr one on one, but it is nice to not have to double team all the time. The Ravens have passed on a lot of good Cbs in the first round, but I think they feel the free agent corners are just as safe and a much better price.
    After I did the WR it is clear that there are some great players,but pretty much everyone was taken in the top 10 or even top 5.The WR taken towards the bottom of the 1st round dont have nearly the success the guys at the top had(naturally) and take a few years to develop if they even reach that point at all.

[QUOTE=52decleetzu;129871]

Im not really following you here,there are plenty on that list that are flat out studs,and if you look at the overall CB rankings in that other thread it is LOADED with young guys at the very top.

/[QUOTE]

Namdi and Darelle Revis certainly makes two guys on that list that I'd prefer to have over any other corner in the league.

Blog Entries

I really wanted Aqib Talib or Antione Cason last year. I think those guys are going to be awesome CB's. On the bright side of things if Cason really develops well for the Chargers maybe they will be willing to trade or cut Quinton Jammer and he is another CB I wouldnt mind seeing in a Ravens uni.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TRAP View Post

I think McKelvin might have been the most successful of the class with a long INT TD run in the POs and then another one in the regular season vs KC. In fact, he had 2 INTs in that game.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2008...atically-retur

Oz said he liked Jenkins and might have hoped to get him and Flacco with all those pics he got from Jags.

The Bills didnt make the playoffs this past year.

Mckelvin was interesting, but I would have prefered Talib or Cason.

I liked Mike Jenkins too. He reminds me a lot of Marcus Trufant or Lito Sheppherd.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.