Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stone

Stone

It's a week later, and I'm still steamin' over Stone's penalty! IMO, the Ravens were on the verge of pulling this thing out - 4 min to go, w/ the Ravens jockeying for field position to kick 3. Big Ben would've been without his sidekick Ward, and not much time on the clock (although that has not bothered him in the past ) - the Ravens would've won this game! Stone, you take a seat next to Zeus as far as biggest costliest mistakes in Ravens playoff history. Zeus most definitely cost us the game against the Titans a few years back, and Stone, not being outdone, did the same against the Stillers! Yea, some of you will say, that he alone did not cost us the game - I disagree! This team has shown that it is a resourceful team - i.e. it can pull games out, given an opening. This was yet another example, and if I were a betting man, they would've done the same here.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Re: Stone

I'm gonna have to say Flacco's pick-6 was much more costly

Quote Originally Posted by RavensInBrazil View Post
    Pick 6 was the knife through the heart for sure, but if Stone doesn't have the mental melt down, I'm not so sure Flacco throws the pick 6.

Complete different approach to the game plan and offensive play calling is called starting from the 40 only needing 25-30 yards or so for a field goal to take the lead.

Will never know for sure, but that Stone brain fart was brutal at possibly the most brutal time of the game.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    Complete different approach to the game plan and offensive play calling is called starting from the 40 only needing 25-30 yards or so for a field goal to take the lead.
    My sentiments exactly!! Totally different offensive scheme starting from the 40. Our team would've run the ball, controlling the clock, with some safe passes thrown in, all to run down the clock and kick the game winner - our luck just ran out! I'm still pissed at Zeus for his idiotic meltdown several years back.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

One play does not determine a game. It was a stupid penalty at a bad time, Flacco's pick six was bad, but so was the fact that we had scored only 14 points to that point, and that the Steelers' scoring drives had each been extended by failure to stop a third and long.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by RavensInBrazil View Post
    His pick 6 was because of Stone's penalty because we had the ball at our 40 with 4 minutes left and only needed a field goal and to be puched back to our own 14 against the #1 defense totally changed our offensive play calling so we had to be aggressive at our own 14 and could have been more liad back on our own 40

Well, it cost us dearly in this game my friend! I would've bet dollars to doughnuts that had we started with the ball on the forty, the Ravens would've pulled this one out. I guess your submit reply button got stuck, huh?!

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Well, it cost us dearly in this game my friend! I would've bet dollars to doughnuts that had we started with the ball on the forty, the Ravens would've pulled this one out. I guess your submit reply button got stuck, huh?!
    Either that or he was trying to make his point.

Before Stone's stupid penalty, I was thinking how good he had been on ST, now I am wondering why he is not released yet.
    Want some... come and get some!

Quote Originally Posted by ravensrulz View Post
    Either that or he was trying to make his point.
    I was just being facetious. Yes, one play does not a game make; but come on, that error was so bad, I do believe it cost us a chance to go to the big dance. Stone should've been released the next day, period!

Hey, I know what you mean. I was freakin' steaming after that play. It still pisses me off. Release him?

Nah, not on the basis of one bone head play, even if it was in the AFC Championship. He feels really guilty about it, I'm sure. Use that example to motivate him next year and see how he does. He is a good ST player.

Blog Entries

I say keep him.
    I remember our "great" special teams at the start of the year, and wondering did we make a mistake getting BA and letting Stills go.
    Wondering if Harbs special teams expertise was just another Billick's "offensive genius" rep?
    I don't have all the ins and outs but I do know that we changed some personell and improved... one of the last changes was adding Stone and he was very very good.

We have had bonehead incidents in the past... JJ's foul this year, Scott throwing the yellow flag last year....and we have gotten over them.
    Yes, it was big, and I hope he has learned. He knows he screwed up big time, so lets let it go, but let him know if there is a next time, you are cut before boarding the plane home.
    I don't want to see us cut a great special teamer who also has a mistake to spend the rest of his time with us making up for with "sell out your body" hits.

I'm as pissed off as anyone about the penalty, but one of my friends (a Lions fan...yes, they do exist) mentioned an interesting point to me. He said that it's possible after Stone got his head knocked off early in the game, that maybe he was a bit woozy and not aware of exactly where and when he was doing what he was?

I dunno, and I'm still pissed off, but it's at least worth throwing out there as a possibility...

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid