sign of the times

Republicans are still struggling to come to terms with the times. Ever since Michael Steele was basically removed from RNC chairmanship consideration because he was caught paling around with a pro-choicer, the so-called leaders vying for chairmanship continue to express themselves in very odd ways.

Chip Saltsman sent members a cd with a song on it called, “Barack the Magic Negro.” Sure one of the recent cornerstones of republican thought is their overzelous need to avoid being PC...as if this is noble or independent in thinking or whatever but it truly reflective of the GOP's strategy which for many is bewildering at least.

Conservatives neglect the trending of americans from rural white and uneducated to urban diverse and more worldy.

Conservatives continue to appeal to the lowest common denominator of the country.

as well continue preaching to a shrinking choir.

While I knew the Obama win would an incredible experience to live through, I never anticipated the reaction of the GOP.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/...008-12-27.html

Re: sign of the times

How despearte are the left they have to bring up a non-issue that's about 8 months old and tag it to an RNC candidate???

This is downright funny. As if the GOP needs to listen to your side to get things done? I dont see Howard Dean calling up Rush and asking him for advice.

Obama said publicly he is fine with the parody. Have you even listened to it G7? It's pretty damn funny. If Obama can use race to help him get elected, his opposition has just as much right to use it to lampoon him.

I respect Steele a great deal but one only needs to look at the voting turnout for the right to see the problem -- they lost their base. Steele, while well intended and very principled, is part of the larger problem of the blue-blood Repubs who do not have a conservative bone in their body. This is counter-productive to what the GOP needs to be doing and landing back people like me who didnt vote for McCain for that very reason.

Re: sign of the times

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    How despearte are the left they have to bring up a non-issue that's about 8 months old and tag it to an RNC candidate???

This is downright funny. As if the GOP needs to listen to your side to get things done? I dont see Howard Dean calling up Rush and asking him for advice.

Obama said publicly he is fine with the parody. Have you even listened to it G7? It's pretty damn funny. If Obama can use race to help him get elected, his opposition has just as much right to use it to lampoon him.

I respect Steele a great deal but one only needs to look at the voting turnout for the right to see the problem -- they lost their base. Steele, while well intended and very principled, is part of the larger problem of the blue-blood Repubs who do not have a conservative bone in their body. This is counter-productive to what the GOP needs to be doing and landing back people like me who didnt vote for McCain for that very reason.
    Actually it was republicans that called out Saltsman for the CD....it has nothing to do with "my side". Even Gingrich thought it was in poor taste which really most would agree. The idea that Obama didn't express much about it just shows the size of his politics vs. those trying to chair the RNC.

The fact that you defend it just shows where you mostly stand whether you want to admit it or not is with those who support small-minded and backwards in time politics...ie, Rush - who started the whole CD thing and those in the RNC who are still trying to be divisive in light of the recent election results.

Obama never used race to get elected. Being a black man was not an advantage and if you think it is then, you are further over than I thought. Actually, the more I read your reactions since 11-4-2008 it is pretty clear you are more red meat republican than i thought. I would have thought you would be able to see through much of this crap and recognize the potential in someone like Obama.

Steele lost his momentum because he moved to the middle on social issues which I also thought would be more appealing to you but I guess I was wrong there as well.

Zogby wrote an interesting book recently "The way we'll be" that was given to me by a college student I know. He writes of thhe idea about how kids growing up today don't see themselves as just Americans but more part of te international world. Kids are studying abroad, traveling abroad and teaching and volunteering internationally as I did. It changes your perception of the world as well as america. It makes your view more accurate and as a result kids are not as american-centric as adults are today. They are not as likely to be blindly patriotic as the Palins of the world demand us to be.

This is a dramtic change and if republicans think they will gain status again through moving farther to the right, become more exclusive and more homogenous, it just won't work. The energy behind Obama is symptomatic and just the beginning. Times truly are changing and to rely on historic trends that occurred in a very isolated america just don;t serve as good models. I have been saying this but you don't seem to want to take the time to consider it. The world is flat my friend...people can see through the lies that were presented by the right this past time because they know more about how the world works...that is progressive thought.

Steele sees this and was trying to moderate his positions and was basically ostricized by the wingnuts. I don't know man...being an apologist for someone who supports racism even through parody (which I don't see) is not the politics of the new age.