Thread: Ray Lewis...

Ray Lewis...

Just floating an idea out there. IMHO Ray is the heart, or at least a lot of the heart of this team. I don't want them to blow their whole wad signing him, but I WANT to see him in the purple and black for the rest of his career.

My suggestion would be something along structuring a contract that included him being a coach or something along those lines... That we it wouldn't be a cap hit, Ray would get what he wants and deserves, and the fans would get what we want, without crippling cap space.

Just curious what people though.

Re: Ray Lewis...

Was thinking along similar lines myself. Would be great to tie Ray into the franchise for the long-term -- other options could be as a "consultant" , member of management, etc.

Its a great idea because I think you have a situation where:
    1. Major barrier to a deal getting done is the salary cap
    2. Team would like Ray tied to the team for the long-term (even after he's done playing) and there's real value in that
    3. Bisciotti has deep pockets and could pay above the salary cap if necessary.

The major issue is whether this is allowable under the salary cap arrangements -- or do they need to have an under the table agreement? The interesting issue is that coaches salaries are not restricted under the salary cap at all so the amount of money you could pay in this manner could be considerable.

Would be great if Tony or someone on the radio show could bring it up with the management at some point. Or someone who knows could weigh in about what the players bargaining agreement allows for.

If Dallas can do what they do, we can find a way to keep 52. I am convinced the cap is a sham, and there is not a problem a good bag man can not solve.

The Ravens have never lost a superstar they did not want to lose. JO had every reason to want to go play for a good offense, but they always made it happen. Every time there was a cap situation, JO would restructure his contract to work it out. He and McNair's dead money should be off the books, and because Ray, Sizle and Scott are all in the last year of big contracts, it may actually cost les against the cap next season to retain all 3, that it costs right now.

I see all the key vets returning for a nice little SB window blown open this season. Where would they really rather be anyway if the money is close?

Ray Lewis IS the HEART AND SOUL of this team, period! However, Ray has always been a 'warrior', and I don't see him becoming a coach - he needs to be in the action. When Ray is done playing, he WILL move on to other endeavors.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

have to believe they'll try to keep him here, and that he'll work with them. seeing Mike Singletary succeed in coaching suggests his intensity and smarts will continue his Ravens success on the sidelines after he puts his pads down the last time.
    player-coach?
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Ray Lewis IS the HEART AND SOUL of this team, period! However, Ray has always been a 'warrior', and I don't see him becoming a coach - he needs to be in the action. When Ray is done playing, he WILL move on to other endeavors.
    That is not true at all Ray has said himself many times that he would love to get into coaching when he is done, and IMO he would be one hell of a coach on the D side of the ball!
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

he will be resign period to a 5 yr cap friendly deal. right around the corner I might add
    Your Local Embroidery and screen printing Company..
    Cecil Countys Number 1 Raven Fan

I thought thay Ray had said awhile ago that he was unsure if he would want to jump right into coaching? I do remeber he said that if he did coach it would be no different then the way he plays. Personally, i would love him to coach for the Ravens. But, right now, i am not ready to see the man even come close to hanging up the cleats.