Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jax needs $148,000,000 for stadium

Interesting article on the Front of the Sports page (http://www.jacksonville.com/sports) re: the Jags stadium.

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/met...needs_millions

Some interesting tidbits:

The Jaguars want the city to spend $148 million renovating Jacksonville Municipal Stadium — more than it cost to build 15 years ago.

Mayor John Peyton said Wednesday it’s time to start thinking about a slew of recommendations in a 2-year-old Jaguars-commissioned architectural review

Two days ago he said a slowing economy will prevent the city from finishing the Better Jacksonville growth management plan on time. The stadium came up as the Times-Union asked him questions about the city’s other infrastructure needs.

“These are 30-year-life-type deals,” Peyton said of the stadium. “It’s an ongoing city obligation we expect to honor.”

Still, he said at this point he’s unsure where the money would come from.

Routine maintenance, not part of the renovation proposals, is costing the city $1 million to $1.5 million annually.

The Jaguars’ report comes from sports architect HOK, has sat virtually untouched since its February 2007 publishing.

Peyton said he has had informal discussions with Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver about the stadium. He said Weaver has been reasonable about the city’s budget concerns but would like to get moving on at least $100 million of the projects.

Peyton said he is certain Weaver is committed to keeping the team in Jacksonville and that attitude isn’t being used as leverage to open the city’s checkbook.

Weaver could not be reached for comment

Peyton said the Jaguars have evolved from a 1995 NFL expansion team to an integral part of the city. And, compared with other modern stadiums, he thinks Jacksonville got its NFL hamlet for “a song and dance.”

This year, he said, the sluggish economy seems to have had people holding back on higher-end tickets for club seats and suites.

yeah aside from the 10,000 they had to cover up

I think I hear Randy Newman singing

Re: Jax needs $148,000,000 for stadium

Just move the team to LA already, you know it's coming...

They are laying the groundwork....

I've said this before but Jacksonville getting a team was a huge mistake! Even when they are playoff-caliber they still need to cover up sections of the stadium because they can't fill the seats.

Move the team to a city that deserves and wants a team or close them down.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

I hope they don't move. I've always had a ball there on away trips; not to mention the stroll down A1A to the Keys.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable…

There is another theory which states that this - has - already - happened…

"We don't have a town drunk...we all take turns..."

They cover over a dozen SECTIONS of seats because they can't sell them.

If any team will move it will be them.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Wink Re: Jax needs $148,000,000 for stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Mr OC View Post
    I hope they don't move. I've always had a ball there on away trips; not to mention the stroll down A1A to the Keys.

Jacksonville has been one of the best places for a road trip.

The city will obviously have to tell Weaver to pound sand ---> Newsflash: this country is in a recession and local governments will be facing serious revenue shortages.

However, I don't see a move to LA by any NFL team anytime soon. Their privately funded stadium scheme also is likely going to have to be placed on hold for a few years, at least until the credit market opens up. If there were to be a team relocation in the next 3 to 5 years, I would expect it to go to the vacant Alamodome.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

How can you ask for this much and you cant even fill the damn staduim. Jacksonville is a cool town but they dont have the support to maintain an NFL team.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

For about a 1/4 of that they could build a Museum to honor Paul Tagleeaboohoo!!! Hell I would chip in a $100 to buy a brick !!!

"It is not how you play the game that matters... It is Winning The Super Bowl that counts"... Rumor Ray

Baltimore Has 10 Pro Football Championships!
    Baltimore Colts [NFL] in 1958, 1959, 1968, and 1970
    Baltimore Stars [USFL] in 1985
    Baltimore Stallions [CFL] in 1995
    Baltimore Ravens [NFL] in 2000 and 2012
    Baltimore Mariners [AIFA] in 2010
    Baltimore Mariners [AIF] in 2014

From the article:

Peyton said the Jaguars have evolved from a 1995 NFL expansion team to an integral part of the city. And, compared with other modern stadiums, he thinks Jacksonville got its NFL hamlet for “a song and dance.”

A staggeringly brutal and appropriate choice of word by Mr. Hunt. Given the choices Weaver is facing, I wonder if Hunt regrets not capitalizing it?

So much for expanding to "that undiscovered country."

BS

Let's see, LA has that new stadium going up & I read something the other day, I can't remember where, that Wayne Weaver is just itching to get out of Jax & go to LAX!

The Jacksonville Municipal Stadium the Jags play in, was that the old Gator Bowl that was totally remodeled after they stole our expansion franchise?

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

Wink Re: Jax needs $148,000,000 for stadium

Quote Originally Posted by PARavensJeff View Post
    Let's see, LA has that new stadium going up
    Huh????

What new stadium? LA has had 1/2 dozen new stadium schemes, all privately financed or begging the NFL to pony up a billion dollars to remodel the Coliseum or Anaheim stadium. Nobody has broken ground -- or even acquired the land and permits. The latest scheme is building one in the City of Industry in a hillside for the 2012 season. Good luck in this economic climate!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).