Thread: John Maine

John Maine

I liked Maine coming up but it seemed he wasn't MLB material. When we got Benson I thought we got the better end of the deal. In hindsight I'm not sure now. Maine is having a pretty good year in NY :

3-3, 51.1 IP, 44 Hits, 22 ER, 16 BB, 46 Ks, 3.58 ERA

Should we have kept the guy?
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Blog Entries

Re: John Maine

hindsight is 20/20...

at the time, the deal made sense. Benson gave us a vet arm that would anchor a bunch of young'ns, we needed to get rid of Julio, and Maine looked pale in comparison to Loewen and Penn...

Now, we're likely not keeping Benson, as he's considering asking for a trade after the season. However, Loewen is looking like he's finally made it, and Penn is on the cusp as well.

IF we get a good pitcher in the offseason, our rotation is Bedard, Loewen, Penn, Cabrera, and acquired pitcher. We know Bedard will be good to go, Loewen is settled in, Cabrera and Penn are working their way up.

Maine WOULD'VE been nice to keep around, but he's also in the NL, which means he doesn't have to face DHs like Ortiz, so he'd probably be struggling a bit more here. I wouldn't say we got the best of the deal, but certainly not the losers.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Now, we're likely not keeping Benson, as he's considering asking for a trade after the season.
    Source please?

Yes, he can ask for a trade because he was dealt during a multi-year contract. But he's due to make $7 million for the Orioles next year and all accounts I have seen he is content in Baltimore with Mazzone as his coach. If you have different info, I would be interested in seeing it.

Blog Entries

nevermind. I saw it in the MLB Truth and Rumours section of SI.com, but when I found the article they referenced it from, the context is WAY different...

Though Baltimore pitcher Kris Benson said he has not decided whether he will exercise his right to request a trade this offseason, at least one prominent member of the Orioles hopes to persuade the pitcher to stay.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...082501213.html

The Truth and Rumours made it sound like he was leaning towards asking for a trade. Right now, it just sounds like he wants to let the season play out before deciding his future...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!