Now they're fining for trash talking?

Apparently that is the case.

Porter Fined $7500.00

Unacceptable IMO.
    Sorry, but this ain't pee wee youth league football.

If an individual can't control his actions because another is talking trash to him, then that guy that can't control himself shouldn't be allowed to play in an emotional game.

What bullshit!!
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Re: Now they're fining for trash talking?

Not sure about this. I cant help but think if any player could say something so horrible as to warrant this it would be porter.
    I'd have to know what was said.
    Like it or not, these guys are still in a work place.
    I work construction, and there are things said on site, obviously, that would never fly in an office setting. But there still is a line.
    Again, would love to know what was said.

I agree with Fanatic's premise, but without knowing what he said it's difficult to say if this crosses the line or not.

I mean, it is Porter, and he is not exactly the poster boy for the league.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I agree with Fanatic as well, but if Porter were shooting his mouth off about another player's sick child or recently passed parent?

I would need to know what he said. If it were simply "You suck, I am going to collapse your skull in" I have no issue with that. But if he is talking about a man's family or something . . .

Blog Entries

Interesting in that it is now 3 Miami players mentioned in The Fanatic's link.
    Appears to be something that is affecting/infecting the team, and I also remember the obnoxious attitude of another Miami team from a good while ago (The U).

I'd say part of it is the NFL trying to get some control before it has a "goon squad" team image embedded in the revenue stream of public opinion.
    That would be my guess at the underlying motivation of why they are acting.

Now as to what Porter said, it is anybody's guess. But it had to be something worthy of special attention. I don't see it as language itself, my guess is that it crossed over into the PC (Political Correctness) arena, and maybe was directed at a referee for some call or no-call. That would push or cross 2 lines, giving the NFL reason to act and address a situation that they are unhappy with the direction it is heading. And they can call it generically - Trash Talking which covers a wide gauntlet.
    I'd say the NFL has something that Porter and Miami don't really want public and would be very surprised if the appeal process is invoked with the risk of it getting out into the press.
    Sure we "need" to know what he said, but I doubt if we ever will.

Independent of what he said, I still hate him.